Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Thing is what coach is going to come here to “take us to the next level” if we’ve already shown we’re going to lowball the most successful coach we’ve ever had. I’m very nervous about the next hire and expect this franchise to take a step back at that point.

I`d hire a Finnish coach. If you havent noticed Team Finland is always better than its parts and everyone try to play a 200ft game. Jukka Jalonen has officially stated that he would like to coach a NHL team. And he is probably the most successfull Finnish coach.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Not that he was an assistant and was more to boost the PP but that was Paul MacLean. Didnt change much
Ive said it for years that Torts was a good coach to lay a foundation and guide the team through this culture change but now that we are here I think his work is done
Torts definitely falls into the category of short term gain, long term pain

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts definitely falls into the category of short term gain, long term pain

So does every coach. Torts actually has a longer than average coaching tenure. More than 1300 career games across 4 teams, the average coaching tenure I think is less than 300 games with a team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He'll be years away but does Mark Letestu have a job yet? Get him in the bullpen.

Brad Shaw could run systems no problem as head coach, he's already doing the best stuff we have. Is the room good enough that they can do without having a motivational speaker as head coach? My impression is that some teams have the players take care of the yelling.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
If this season continues like this, Torts won't last the season. I think this is his last season regardless. I think the next hire is probably the most important decision in the franchise's history. If they get the right guy, I think unless the bottom completely falls out, Jones and Z will resign. There is a teeny tiny chance that getting rid of Torts makes PLD want to stay, but I put that at less than a .1% chance

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He'll be years away but does Mark Letestu have a job yet? Get him in the bullpen.

Brad Shaw could run systems no problem as head coach, he's already doing the best stuff we have. Is the room good enough that they can do without having a motivational speaker as head coach? My impression is that some teams have the players take care of the yelling.
It would be smart to get Letestu back in the organization sooner than later. Good guy and avoids any potential Prospal situation if coaching is a direction he wants to take moving forward

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
If this season continues like this, Torts won't last the season. I think this is his last season regardless. I think the next hire is probably the most important decision in the franchise's history. If they get the right guy, I think unless the bottom completely falls out, Jones and Z will resign. There is a teeny tiny chance that getting rid of Torts makes PLD want to stay, but I put that at less than a .1% chance

200.gif

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Is PLD wanting out because of Torts? I haven’t followed the trade talks or PLD wanting out story all that closely. I’m not a habs fan that is interested in acquiring him, I think the cost will be too much, but I am wonder is there a way for Columbus to salvage the situation, ie does firing Torts move the needle.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is PLD wanting out because of Torts? I haven’t followed the trade talks or PLD wanting out story all that closely. I’m not a habs fan that is interested in acquiring him, I think the cost will be too much, but I am wonder is there a way for Columbus to salvage the situation, ie does firing Torts move the needle.

PLD has not said why he asked out, including to his teammates, per Torts. There has been some speculation in the media, and even more in the two threads about Dubois here, but it’s just conjecture.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I`d hire a Finnish coach. If you havent noticed Team Finland is always better than its parts and everyone try to play a 200ft game. Jukka Jalonen has officially stated that he would like to coach a NHL team. And he is probably the most successfull Finnish coach.
Hmmmm. He also has an NHL out clause...
Jääkiekkoleijonat sensaatiomaiseen MM-kultaan luotsanneelle Jukka Jaloselle jatkopesti – sopimukseen sisältyy NHL-pykälä (Google Translate: Jukka Jalonen, who piloted the hockey World Cup gold for the hockey lions, continued to wash - the contract includes an NHL clause)

Still not in any hurry to get rid of Tortorella, but I just might have to keep an eye on this guy.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
One of the most interesting Torts/Jarmo subplot in my mind is the type of players Jarmo continues to draft. They have generally been skill players who are a good fit for the modern NHL (Bemstrom, Chinakov, Marchenko, etc), but absolutely terrible fits on a Torts team. Texier and Foudy, perhaps, fit slightly better onto a Torts team, but not significantly moreso. If anything leads me to believe that Torts isn't going to be around much longer, it's that.

I am of the opinion that Torts was brought in to build a culture and an expectation of winning. He has unquestionably done that in spades. But the NHL game will quickly pass him by, IMO. The biggest problem is that I can't think of a coach in mind to replace him. Sometimes I think I'd give Brad Shaw a shot. I know losing Bednar sucked. I don't know.

Last edited:

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
One of the most interesting Torts/Jarmo subplot in my mind is the type of players Jarmo continues to draft. They have generally been skill players who are a good fit for the modern NHL (Bemstrom, Chinakov, Marchenko, etc), but absolutely terrible fits on a Torts team. Texier and Foudy, perhaps, fit slightly better onto a Torts team, but not significantly moreso. If anything leads me to believe that Torts isn't going to be around much longer, it's that.

I am of the opinion that Torts was brought in to build a culture and an expectation of winning. He has unquestionably done that in spades. But the NHL game will quickly pass him by, IMO. The biggest problem is that I can't think of a coach in mind to replace him. Sometimes I think I'd give Brad Shaw a shot. I know losing Bednar sucked. I don't know.

That is an interesting point. Never thought of it that way

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

I agree. Torts styles is old and outdated. I was worried about Domi coming in because he is not a Torts style player. Personally, I would not want to play for Torts. am a NYR fan and never liked his style back then. He had great players like Chris Drury and never used his skill set correctly. Old school coach who says this is my system ADAPT not here is the talent I have, let's build a system to bring out all their strengths. Also you get a lot better productivity out of the new generation of players with carrots vs. sticks.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I wouldn't call Panarin of Tortorella type of player

we done pretty well when he was there

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
fair enough

how many games did Bennington steal for them though

Probably just as many as Torts' coaching stole for the Jackets :naughty:

Seriously though, this moment right now is the most I've ever been on the "fire" bandwagon. Might just be time.

Reactions: JeffP

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Probably just as many as Torts' coaching stole for the Jackets :naughty:

Seriously though, this moment right now is the most I've ever been on the "fire" bandwagon. Might just be time.

what do you think it will accomplish

players not wanting to leave?

PP better?

more scoring?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
what do you think it will accomplish

players not wanting to leave?

PP better?

more scoring?

Mostly just a change of pace/new voice, don't have anything specific in mind. I have no problem with Torts, don't get me wrong.

And to be clear, saying "this is the most I've ever been on the bandwagon" is saying very little, since I've never even set a toe on that bandwagon before. Just an inkling in my mind now. We'll see how the next chunk of games go.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad