Should the Sens fire DJ Smith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Julien has to know that no one is going to pay him $5 million to coach anymore. I doubt that he needs to work anymore but this would be his chance to get back in the game, so to speak, and in his home town to boot. (He is from Orleans - there's a signed photo of him up in the Navan Arena.) He coached our Olympic team, and the last couple of teams at the Worlds. (Olympics didn't go so hot, but our roster sucked and they had almost no time together due to COVID rules. His teams at the Worlds did well.) Cup ring, President's Trophy, gold at the Worlds - I'd say his resume holds up, and he knows how to coach defensive hockey.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Difference between being lottery contender and a team that starts looking at the lottery after this after they miss. But I think you kind of already knew that was my point
The person you were responding to was saying hopefully we get a lucky lottery bounce, so I was just clarifying. Obviously we all want the team to finish as high in the standings as possible.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Also Zub is our MVP.
The fact that Zub is our MVP shows just how much weak our D is

I voted yes because since DJ has been here we haven't seen an improvement in how we play period. We keep getting outshot badly and we should be better!

With the news today, I’m pretty certain of two things:

- DJ Smith will not get this team into the playoffs
- If this team is not in the playoffs, new ownership will not bring back Pierre Dorion or DJ Smith next year

It’ll take a few more months, but I think based on the above, next season is when we take the step.

1 more year Sens fans!
I agree with if this team is not close to a playoff spot then new ownership need to clean house and start fresh with some quality hockey people! Sens fans deserved better

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
God no. We always do this, it hasn't really worked out. Let's actually try an established coach for once.
Money..An established coach will want $4 million and up. Add to it his staff, you are at $6 million and up.

Now add Ottawa as a destination. Its not like people are beating down our door.

I get people's view, but it may not be realistic. A Trotz or anyone of significant ilk will not want to be here or will want a bucket of cash for his services.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Noo, enough with the young and cheap coaches...
I am with you, but reality has to interfere. We are talking 8-10 million dollars for the next 2 years for two sets of coaches and then 7-8 million for the new regime for a further 3 years..a new guy will want a 5 year deal for himself and may arm twist to get 5 years for his assistants.

Can you see the Sens paying 8-10 for 22-23 and 23-24, and the 6-8 from 24-28... In this town, with its limited revenue. I doubt it.

And I doubt a "rock star" will want to be here. This is not baseball, 3-4 months of Ottawa winter weather will have his wife and kids screaming to leave.

Reality!!!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Going into the season, I said that 4-6 in the first 10 games would be enough for DJ to keep going. Looking at the schedule, it was tough. And even if we lose tomorrow, we'll hit that mark. So that's good.

But the next 10 are much softer. We play Philly twice, Vancouver, NYI, NJ, Buffalo, San Jose, Anaheim and Vegas.

We need to go 7-3 in that span, which would put us 11-9 after 1/4 of the season (assuming we drop Thursday), on track for ~90 points (aka on pace for "meaningful" games).

Let's see how it goes.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Going into the season, I said that 4-6 in the first 10 games would be enough for DJ to keep going. Looking at the schedule, it was tough. And even if we lose tomorrow, we'll hit that mark. So that's good.

But the next 10 are much softer. We play Philly twice, Vancouver, NYI, NJ, Buffalo, San Jose, Anaheim and Vegas.

We need to go 7-3 in that span, which would put us 11-9 after 1/4 of the season (assuming we drop Thursday), on track for ~90 points (aka on pace for "meaningful" games).

Let's see how it goes.
I think how we're playing should be just as big a factor as the record. That homestand was good, but this team has been absolutely atrocious on the road. The 0-4 record paints more than accurate picture.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think how we're playing should be just as big a factor as the record. That homestand was good, but this team has been absolutely atrocious on the road. The 0-4 record paints more than accurate picture.
We outplayed Buffalo and Toronto. Get a grip.

ottawamike

Nov 2, 2022
He needs to go ASAP IMO

Agree or disagree?
How the hell has he is lasted this long? Now I see he’s f***ing with the good guys heads and they are getting worse with every game. No system. Just drinks water and chews gum.
He needs to go ASAP IMO

Agree or disagree?
He needs to go ASAP IMO

Agree or disagree?

Why should we wait for the offseason for a coaching change? We already know what DJ is.
will he pass waivers?

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
None of those games are easy by any stretch of the imagination especially if we play the like the last two games.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not saying he should be a head coach. Just an assistant coach working with our D

I'm not saying he should be a head coach either. I just want someone more experienced in coaching the D. I don't want an unproven guy like Methot. We need someone like Martin back there.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Now add Ottawa as a destination. Its not like people are beating down our door.

I get people's view, but it may not be realistic. A Trotz or anyone of significant ilk will not want to be here or will want a bucket of cash for his services.
Claude Julien live in the Ottawa area and he started coaching because of Pierre Dorion father, they know each other since a long time

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
DJ with zero options on the back end tonight. Vegas is a heavy forecheck team. I’m setting the over/under on Zaitsev icings at 6.5.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Like most have said here....This team isnt built to play low scoring games,need a coach that understands this and will use our strength up front to shelter our weakness on defense...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DJ with zero options on the back end tonight. Vegas is a heavy forecheck team. I’m setting the over/under on Zaitsev icings at 6.5.
Vegas takes the fewest penalties in the league, Ottawa takes the most, I think Zaitsev will be killing penalties all night so we probably will have other things to worry about.

Reactions: Cosmix and GCK

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think we see tonight the huge gap between DJ and one of the best coach in the league, Ottawa native (I know we don't have the $ to hire him at 4.8MM$)

Predict a bloodbath if they don't turn things 180 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad