• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Everyone blaming the coach is just letting the players off the hook.
Quite the opposite, but it's simply easier to be rid of the coach than it is to completely overhaul the roster.

Unless you think this team has no talent? If you do, then what's your proposed solution?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I mean sure if you’re gonna bring in Barry Trotz. Probably best to just let the season play out and then new ownership can make some decisions - if DJ goes now, we likely have an interim coach like Mann and I’m not sure he gets more out of this roster.

DJ is neither the problem nor the solution as far as I’m concerned. He’s a good enough coach, but he’s not gonna get a team playing defense like Darryl Sutter. He needs the personnel and at the moment we are somewhat lacking.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Quite the opposite, but it's simply easier to be rid of the coach than it is to completely overhaul the roster.

Unless you think this team has no talent? If you do, then what's your proposed solution?
Two solutions

Acquire a solid RD who can move the puck a little

Be patient with our core. I called 4-5-1 in the first 10 prior to the start of the season. Expectations were far too high. It’s a process and it takes a while for the young players to learn.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Two solutions

Acquire a solid RD who can move the puck a little

Be patient with our core. I called 4-5-1 in the first 10 prior to the start of the season. Expectations were far too high. It’s a process and it takes a while for the young players to learn.
A solid RD that can move the puck a little will cost Pinto or Greig or a 1st round pick or all of the above..

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You guys need a new hobby, seriously. Find a better way to vent your frustration.

DJ is not going anywhere. Our special teams are above 100% (22.5% + 79.4%) combined, which is a mark of a well coached team. The team is playing with more structure than last year. We've got some of the underlying best metrics since the Paul Maclean days.

Yes, some of these losses have been really frustrating, but holy hell some of you guys need to step off the ledge. This is an 82 game season, and this is a young team. We're going to see wild swings throughout the season.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Coaches that start rebuilds are rarely ever there to see the end result. I’m not sure why the idea of a new coach is outrageous for some people.
Jared Bednar coached the Avs through their infamous 47pt season, which by far the worst season any team since 2000. He's still there today and won the cup last year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Jared Bednar coached the Avs through their infamous 47pt season, which by far the worst season any team since 2000. He's still there today and won the cup last year.
Bednar is an exception, not the rule, and that was just one bad season in the NHL. He also won the AHL championship in the previous season, which is probably a better indicator of NHL success than OHL championship.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Coaches that start rebuilds are rarely ever there to see the end result. I’m not sure why the idea of a new coach is outrageous for some people.
It's always that way until the news drops.

I don't know how I feel about it yet, but for DJ to be fired if they don't pick it up would not at all surprise me and I don't know why it would surprise anyone. Its a results based cutthroat business plain and simple.

My guess is if they lose say the next 3 straight or 4 of 5 sort of thing, then Dorion pulls the plug. If he hovers at .500 or just above, then he'll survive until/unless they plummet.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We should have lost the Florida series 20-2.

Instead we almost took two un-winnable games to overtime.

That’s pretty good coaching.

Fire Zaitsev into the sun before Smith.

I’m more critical of Chabot tbh. I know Sandy is beyond exceptional, but when a rookie five games in is your best defenceman - you’ve got work to do.

Reactions: Big Giant Head

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The more I think about it the more I think he needs to go.

There are constant breakdowns. Breakdown after breakdown. I highly doubt that a lightbulb will suddenly turn on in DJs head and he will fix this structural mess thats been cemented on the team for his entire tenure.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We should have lost the Florida series 20-2.

Instead we almost took two un-winnable games to overtime.

That’s pretty good coaching.

Fire Zaitsev into the sun before Smith.

I’m more critical of Chabot tbh. I know Sandy is beyond exceptional, but when a rookie five games in is your best defenceman - you’ve got work to do.
So we need to credit DJ Smith for Forsberg standing on his head and Florida missing open nets? I have no idea what this post means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad