Proposal: Fire DJ Smith

Should the Sens fire DJ Smith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Disagree. I think we make the change in the offseason to take the team to a new level. I expect this team will sort it out and be there later in the season but fall short.

New ownership
New POHO
New GM
New coaching staff

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%85%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B-the-funeral.gif

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Look a lot of players are playing bad.

Chabot
Stu
Giroux
Debrincat

All need to be better especially Chabot. That said it's clear that DJ is just not capable of getting the best out of his players or implementing a system that plays to his players strengths. Djs system is the same it was when we had 4 lines of garbage.

DJ bro the experiment has come to an end imo. Its time to bring in a coach who can get these players playing at the level they should be both offensively and defensively.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Offensive talent is there. Defensive structure is not. Smith's system is a joke, it allows the opposition to cycle on us forever and take shots at will.

Not to downplay some of the lapses by the players, but a competent head coach could do a lot for this team.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's easy for the players to look bad defensively when they're totally lost as to how to play on the ice and seem to have precious little direction overall. Every player appears to be trying too hard to overcome the complete lack of systems.

Reactions: ottawamike

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
He needs to go, but the only acceptable replacement has to be an established NHL coach

Julien, AV, Trotz, any of those three

Last edited:

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Julien would make us look like a good team. Even Jacques M would fix a lot of our issues. DJ is not an NHL coach. He is as bad as some PWHL coaches I’ve seen

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Were missing Norris and Zub, essentially our #1C and our most reliable D. Tough losses.

There is something to be said about the speed and physicality that DJ brings out in this team. Other GMs definitely wished their players played that way. I also feel some of the offensive mechanisms employed by our team are actually quite cunning.

That being said, DJ wants every player to play the exact same way, and that just doesn't make sense. That's just too easy and simple, you have to be able to identify and use the unique skills that your players bring to the table. DbC shouldn't be dumping and chasing the puck, body-checking the defense into submission, even if he is surprisingly good at it. This is a player you want to control the puck into the zone, he shouldn't be playing like a Kastelic or a Kelly.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Would love an experienced coach for once, or at least someone with some history of winning.
Careful now! Last time we had one of those we *checks notes* made it to the conference finals.

I'm sympathetic to DJ; I don't think he's a completely godawful coach, but I fear there's too much complacency in that locker room right now. We've too much talent to keep making the same sloppy mistakes. Can DJ, and bring in somebody who can knock some discipline into this roster.

Reactions: Kegu

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
With the news today, I’m pretty certain of two things:

- DJ Smith will not get this team into the playoffs
- If this team is not in the playoffs, new ownership will not bring back Pierre Dorion or DJ Smith next year

It’ll take a few more months, but I think based on the above, next season is when we take the step.

1 more year Sens fans!

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Im curious if potential new ownership will throw a wrench into this.

This might fall to if new ownership feels like cleaning house and hiring a new GM (they could also 'promote' PD to a hockey ops role) and give the new guy his choice of coach.

We might have to deal with dj for the rest of the season if thats the case.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Nah, no coach can overcome how bad our D is.

No but they can reach them not to all collapse and lose their man when shit hits the fan.

I'm not an expert at hockey. I dont know who is always supposed to cover who. But its clear that this team doesn't know either. So either DJs defensive system is hot garbage, or he doesn't have a clue how to teach it to his players.

Either way... I think its time.

Reactions: KingAlfie11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad