• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Gross. Keefe is a terrible coach.
He is pretty unreal tbh. Look at his winning percentage everywhere he has coached. His teams are organized and prepared. He can't play for the players. Much like here the GM is the real issue in both organizations.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He is pretty unreal tbh. Look at his winning percentage everywhere he has coached. His teams are organized and prepared. He can't play for the players. Much like here the GM is the real issue in both organizations.
I kind of agree with you on Keefe the coach, but I'd take a hard pass on Keefe the person.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I kind of agree with you on Keefe the coach, but I'd take a hard pass on Keefe the person.
Easy to say from the outside. He has removed himself from all those toxic people that influenced him as a young person. I know people that know him personally and only have great things to say. Maybe do a deeper dive to see how he has done everything in his power to remove himself from that situation. Don't forget he was groomed in Jr too.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Easy to say from the outside. He has removed himself from all those toxic people that influenced him as a young person. I know people that know him personally and only have great things to say. Maybe do a deeper dive to see how he has done everything in his power to remove himself from that situation. Don't forget he was groomed in Jr too.
No, I'm good. I followed the Frost story closely. The refusing to shake hands with Dave Branch story.

I get that people can turn their life around, but at least for me, the man showed nothing but character deficiencies until he was into his early 20s.

Lots of coaches out there. No need to hire a guy like that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, I'm good. I followed the Frost story closely. The refusing to shake hands with Dave Branch story.

I get that people can turn their life around, but at least for me, the man showed nothing but character deficiencies until he was into his early 20s.

Lots of coaches out there. No need to hire a guy like that.
Its been 25 years but you wont bother because it goes against your original argument. Kinda contradict your second sentence. But to each their own.

Reactions: Bileur

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

Keefe was a hard-ass in Jr. A, major junior and then the AHL. Had no issues calling out players when they played like shit.

But as soon as he got to the NHL and into a room with Marner and Matthews, he lost his spine.

"Respect in the handshake line".
Mildly critiquing Marner's play and then apologizing in the media the next day
Talking about bad luck and bounces yesterday instead of the fact that Marner, Tavares and Matthews scored what, a combined 1 goal against the Panthers?

The guy has turned into a joke. Lets the inmates run the asylum.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

He's not the coach I want but he is a good coach. Honestly, in terms of talent on the roster this year I don't think there is much separating Ottawa and Toronto.

They finished with 25 more points. He is a far superior coach to DJ Smith.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Was it this thread that sens fans don't think Deboer is someone they would target? As he is 'average'. Well his teams are 7-0 in game 7's. The sens have never won one they're 0-5. I'd take him here.

You say things like this with such conviction but have absolutely no proof.

i say things like that because i watch our team and then i watch the other teams and there is a huge difference.

our team plays for fun, other teams play like professionals. to win.

and you don't think Dorion has kept expectations low under the guise of rebuilding? even though almost all our players are in their primes or just entered it. and how its been 6 years of rebuilding but they pound their chest how they improved from drafting 7th to 12th?

and how DJ was never hard on any of his players. when they clearly deserved it in many instances.

Reactions: jhutter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think if we had the Leafs lineup , with the additions Dubas made and got outplayed by Tampa but won, and really didn't show up for the most part vs FLA we'd be calling for a change. Coaching , strategy, communicating, being able to adapt to other teams quickly all play a big part in winning in the playoffs. You also need the roster depth to plug and play to make changes in your lineup. The Leafs had the pieces but the pieces come with egos to manage. With the ability to play Matthews, O'Reilly, Tavares, Acciari (and others) down the middle, with a respectable D core, average goal tending, two high end 1st line caliber wingers and pieces to plug in around them .. they should have done better .

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think if we had the Leafs lineup , with the additions Dubas made and got outplayed by Tampa but won, and really didn't show up for the most part vs FLA we'd be calling for a change. Coaching , strategy, communicating, being able to adapt to other teams quickly all play a big part in winning in the playoffs. You also need the roster depth to plug and play to make changes in your lineup. The Leafs had the pieces but the pieces come with egos to manage. With the ability to play Matthews, O'Reilly, Tavares, Acciari (and others) down the middle, with a respectable D core, average goal tending, two high end 1st line caliber wingers and pieces to plug in around them .. they should have done better .
I agree 100%.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I'd agree with that. The post deadline Leafs lineup was pretty decent.

I think that leading up to the deadline we had almost as good a roster. The addition of O'Reilly, in particular, was huge. But the fact that Toronto pretty much flopped in the playoffs speaks about as much about the need for change as our not being a tru playoff threat does about our need to move on from DJ.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Nailed it. Also, 1-5 record at home in the playoffs. I don't think "great" coaches produce such poor results with home ice advantage.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would want Keefe or Dubas here. These guys have accomplished next to nothing, despite an advantage in resources that is virtually unparalleled in the NHL. The time to change the leaders of this organization is at hand but these 2 guys are definitely not the answer.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't want Dubas in any situation because its a lateral move at best. But I'd give Keefe a chance since he's able to get his forwards to commit to playing defense. He's done everything to get his team in a position to succeed, but his stars just aren't able to produce when the pressure is on.

Our players can't even handle regular season pressure, Keefe could get our forwards to backcheck which alone is an upgrade over DJ

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I don't want Dubas in any situation because its a lateral move at best. But I'd give Keefe a chance since he's able to get his forwards to commit to playing defense. He's done everything to get his team in a position to succeed, but his stars just aren't able to produce when the pressure is on.

Our players can't even handle regular season pressure, Keefe could get our forwards to backcheck which alone is an upgrade over DJ
Dubas is equal to Dorion? Come on, lol.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Dubas is equal to Dorion? Come on, lol.
Dubas messed up his RFA deals, but he's done a good job of getting depth pieces for their playoff runs. Look at this year for example, the leafs' depth were the only ones who showed up.

We need depth forwards and defenders the most on good deals, especially if we sign Cat.

Having said that, let me reiterate, I don't want Dubas. Especially after his genius intellect made him decide getting Murray was a good idea.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Dubas messed up his RFA deals, but he's done a good job of getting depth pieces for their playoff runs. Look at this year for example, the leafs' depth were the only ones who showed up.

We need depth forwards and defenders the most on good deals, especially if we sign Cat.

Having said that, let me reiterate, I don't want Dubas. Especially after his genius intellect made him decide getting Murray was a good idea.
I don't think Dubas is necessarily the best option available, but I absolutely consider him to be an upgrade over PD. PD won't get another GM job in the NHL, Dubas will.

Reactions: Agent Zub

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I hope they give DJ a shot (albeit a short one) with this roster to see what he can get out of it.

Can't get the thread search function to work, was Brad Berry brought up as a potential coach?

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I hope they give DJ a shot (albeit a short one) with this roster to see what he can get out of it.

Can't get the thread search function to work, was Brad Berry brought up as a potential coach?
He's already had one. How foolish would they look if he led the team to another 4 win November? There hasn't been enough progress to justify putting the team at risk of another poor season.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
He's already had one. How foolish would they look if he led the team to another 4 win November? There hasn't been enough progress to justify putting the team at risk of another poor season.
He hasn't had a shot with a healthy roster, what makes you say he did? Our injuries were substantial

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He hasn't had a shot with a healthy roster, what makes you say he did? Our injuries were substantial
Every team goes through injuries. This guy has coached for four seasons; he's had his opportunities. Having him coach a 5th season would be a sign that the team isn't serious about winning.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Every team goes through injuries. This guy has coached for four seasons; he's had his opportunities. Having him coach a 5th season would be a sign that the team isn't serious about winning.
I see your point, but a growing team like ours couldn't sustain the injuries we experienced. Chabot, Zub, Norris, to an extent Batherson, Chychryn. And yet we still almost made the playoffs. Also, if a new coach comes in with a new game plan it might take a while for them to play cohesively. I think they can with with DJ's game plan, we saw it plenty of times last season.. it just wasn't consistent.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I see your point, but a growing team like ours couldn't sustain the injuries we experienced. Chabot, Zub, Norris, to an extent Batherson, Chychryn. And yet we still almost made the playoffs. Also, if a new coach comes in with a new game plan it might take a while for them to play cohesively. I think they can with with DJ's game plan, we saw it plenty of times last season.. it just wasn't consistent.

Losing Norris was no excuse for being last place in the league in early December,

The hole was too deep to climb out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad