Fire(d) Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Thompson signing gets a more visceral reaction because we’ve seen him as a Flyer and we’re conditioned to the plug routine. It’s horrible. But he’s replaceable internally. Just as bad as Thompson 4C is Laughton 3C as a possible package deal, with Frost dumped to the AHL. Once again, Fletcher’s sketchy player philosophies are on full display. Fletcher simply can’t learn from his Grompson/Stewart moves.

And yet the Jones signing is somehow worse as a pure player move. He’s arguably worse somehow. It was a position of dire need. There is no internal option, and hitching your wagon to him, if Hart falters, is a season ender.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
FIRE THIS GUY! This guy is turning the Flyers future chances at a cup like Afghanistan's chances of a stable democratic state...

They will be stable. Taliban will win 100% of the vote every election :sarcasm:

Reactions: Embiid

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Fletcher spent a good portion of the BSH Radio interview going on, and on, and on about the importance of defense. This dude is such a bottom.

Then he goes on about how the final four teams in the playoffs this past season had big defenseman and that’s why they made it as far as they did. As we know, size from defenseman is a magical panacea and only the teams with big boi defenseman make the final four (year after year)…

These dopes take the wrong lessons (in the form of extreme recency bias) in an ongoing effort to be risk-averse. Their hyper focus on intangibles like size is so odd. In many cases, front office execs take these wrong lessons and it’s a detriment to their teams. Look at Drury in NY. WTF is happening there? Talk about an overcorrection!

This is the greatest sport. However, it’s run by the biggest dopes in all of pro sports.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I think there is a middle ground between the big dopes you talk about and the hive on here . If you don't think you need size and physicality on the back to win in the playoffs you don't watch "playoff " hockey . From an entertainment point of view I get more enjoyment watching regular season hockey where the refs call hockey the way it should be .

Playoff hockey completely changes the game and I wish it wouldn't . It turns hockey into as it was played 20 years ago which is just a war . I really enjoy the Makar's , Fox's , Heisk ... of the world they are so skilled and entertaining as hell to watch . But this league seems to think the rules should change come the playoffs and it is the only sport where it happens .

Those are the big dopes . imo of course

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One reason they change in the playoffs is the fear of too many penalties turning the game into a slough and a PP contest.
HCs realize this and push the limits.

But there's not nearly the grabbing and clutching there was a decade ago, they call tripping pretty regularly, and interference on occasion. and slashing across the hands is an automatic call.
But in front of the net, as long as you don't try to decapitate someone, defensemen have carte blanche to cross check and do anything to clear the crease.

Fletcher did what he could with limited resources, Ghost and Hagg paid for Risto, we'll see how that works, but once they traded for Ellis, Ghost became superfluous (with two better offensive defensemen in Ellis and Sanheim), especially with York and Zamula in the wings. Yandle is an insurance policy if York doesn't show he's ready in camp, he can fill that sheltered role that Ghost occupied last year (11% QoC and PP1).

I suspect Thompson will fill the Andreoff role in the pressbox, and once reason they signed him was that he was amenable to that role.
They started Frost last year, if he's healthy, they'll start him this year.
The big concern is probably Laczynski's hip, if he's not ready for a couple months then Thompson becomes the 13th forward unless J Cates, Bunnaman, Willman or Rubtsov takes a big step up in TC.

G - Couts - TK
JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Lindblom - Frost - Farabee
NAK - Laughton - Allison
Thompson (Laczynski on IR)

Alternatively, Lindblom at 4LW, Farabee at 3LW, Allison at 3RW, NAK at 4RW.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I think there is a middle ground between the big dopes you talk about and the hive on here . If you don't think you need size and physicality on the back to win in the playoffs you don't watch "playoff " hockey . From an entertainment point of view I get more enjoyment watching regular season hockey where the refs call hockey the way it should be .

Playoff hockey completely changes the game and I wish it wouldn't . It turns hockey into as it was played 20 years ago which is just a war . I really enjoy the Makar's , Fox's , Heisk ... of the world they are so skilled and entertaining as hell to watch . But this league seems to think the rules should change come the playoffs and it is the only sport where it happens .

Those are the big dopes . imo of course

Size and physicality are perfectly cromulent traits for defenseman to possess. However, if that’s all they bring to the table, what good are they? There are too many defenseman who fit that bill in the league unfortunately.

The different standard of officiating in the playoffs has always been a blight on the sport. It rewards the no-good try hard shit players and it invariably punishes the very good high skill players. The only saving grace for playoff hockey IMO is it’s lightning fast pace and the total anarchy and chaos (randomness) of the results.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Size and physicality are perfectly cromulent traits for defenseman to possess. However, if that’s all they bring to the table, what good are they? There are too many defenseman who fit that bill in the league unfortunately.

The different standard of officiating in the playoffs has always been a blight on the sport. It rewards the no-good try hard shit players and it invariably punishes the very good high skill players. The only saving grace for playoff hockey IMO is it’s lightning fast pace and the total anarchy and chaos (randomness) of the results.
I didn't even see much war these last playoffs. The hatred is gone except for a few scumbags.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TB87

May 30, 2018
I didn't even see much war these last playoffs. The hatred is gone except for a few scumbags.

War, no. A constant barrage of uncalled interference penalties? Sadly, yes.

Reactions: Amorgus

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You watched different series then i did then . Hits from behind driving guys head first into the boards going un called all the time and punches to the head after every scrum were never called . If they called those penalties they would stop but they don't .

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I wish Chuckles would mention one other thing than "DEFENSE" in any interview over the course of the entire offseason. But with his moves on offense and goaltending, it's clear he thinks there is only one component of the game. Total bottom.
His approach is really easy to see in my eyes. "We need to shuffle our players and go older and more veteran first."

+
Ellis -> Veteran, Leadership, PK ability
Atkinson-> Veteran, Leadership, PK ability
Ristolainen-> IT HURTS
Yandle -> Veteran
Jones -> Veteran
Thompson -> wanna be Leader, Veteran, wanna be PK ability

-
Myers -> youth, need a bit more time to develop
Ghost -> Veteran, wasnt liked here anymore, most likely cause he has his own head
Voracek -> Veteran, wasnt liked here anymore,
most likely cause he has his own head
100 draft picks -> would only produce more young players, no more Veterans or Leadership, so its not needed!

So Mr. Fletcher searched for Veterans and a shuffle of the roster, some of the moves are done cause they felt they need to do something... thats always a bad idea!

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't think Ellis has more than two years left and that contract is going to look really bad then. This was fletchers best move and it's a big bet on winning now. This is then contrasted by the voracek move where we saved cap by sacrificing talent. Risto and ghost are full holmgren style where we couple our bad cap outlook by shedding picks and then add in Jones and Thompson it just gets ugly.

This team should be marginally better this year but it's a whole lot of sacrifice to get there and if any of the big money bets go bad we could be in disaster territory before anyone sees it coming.

Bias for action says fire him now. Patient me says don't let him make these mistakes again next off-season. Realistic me says they're going to double down after we win a round but the fan in me just wants a cup. I think he's wrong and pray he's right

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Fletcher spent a good portion of the BSH Radio interview going on, and on, and on about the importance of defense. This dude is such a bottom.

Then he goes on about how the final four teams in the playoffs this past season had big defenseman and that’s why they made it as far as they did. As we know, size from defenseman is a magical panacea and only the teams with big boi defenseman make the final four (year after year)…

These dopes take the wrong lessons (in the form of extreme recency bias) in an ongoing effort to be risk-averse. Their hyper focus on intangibles like size is so odd. In many cases, front office execs take these wrong lessons and it’s a detriment to their teams. Look at Drury in NY. WTF is happening there? Talk about an overcorrection!

This is the greatest sport. However, it’s run by the biggest dopes in all of pro sports.
Recency bias is the perfect characterization of how the Flyers have been followers and not trailblazers in their quest for the cup. It is the same approach that Clarke and Holmgren took and it is maddening. They always talked about what the last championship team did and how it was constituted and how they should replicate it. No wonder we haven't won a damn cup in nearly 50 years..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's been Caps - Blues - TB twice, all four physical teams that can forecheck and hit. And big physical D-man.
Once is a fluke - four times is a trend.
And it's not just the winning team, just look at the teams that make the final four.

Voracek was our worst defensive forward, Ghost was highly sheltered, Hagg has been criticized for being out of position, Myers made numerous defensive mistakes, Patrick played soft and hesitant - see a trend here?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Like with AV, Fletcher will get his swing at the upcoming season. If the team bombs, like AV, he’ll be going out of here with the morning trash. Probably with Dave Scott right behind him. These two guys have more guts than I do. I wouldn’t want to tie my future to AV’s tail.
This city is a passionate one. Win here and you can virtually walk on water. However Philly is a tough town for losers. It gets a lot worse than a few boos and batteries thrown at you. If the fans think that you ****ed up their team, they will run you out of town.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
AV will go, Fletcher won't unless all his moves come up empty.
We shall see. If this team breaks bad coming out of the gate and sales/attendance go down like it was at the end of this past season, more than AV will be in trouble. Comcast/Roberts are not in any businesses to lose money. Their 5G endeavor is expensive. They’ve been shedding other assets to bankroll that project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad