Post-Game Talk: Fire Campbell

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Lol, you hate my contrarian take? Like stating facts, like he can't be sent to the minors or that he did have a decent 10 game stretch? I'm not even a Campbell fan, just correcting basic misinformation that you have posted. He has had an awful season, every single poster here has said that. But not going to your level of dislike for the player doesn't make one a contrarian. More of a balanced fan perspective.

I don't dislike him, I dislike his play. I genuinely hope he turns it around, but I guess I'm not as optimistic as you.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I’m not saying Campbell has been good and I’m not defending him. I have said he has been terrible multiple times. I’m just pointing out you are wrong that he wasn’t good for a ten game stretch.

Everyone knows he has been awful including him.

Well, technically, there were some games during that ten-game stretch where he wasn't good, but that's splitting hairs. So, yes, he generally played well during that stretch and I admitted that earlier. But he's played so terribly since then (and before) that he now sits near the bottom of the league despite that stretch, making his recent, atrocious play stand out even more.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well, technically, there were some games during that ten-game stretch where he wasn't good, but that's splitting hairs. So, yes, he generally played well during that stretch and I admitted that earlier. But he's played so terribly since then (and before) that he now sits near the bottom of the league despite that stretch, making his recent play stand out even more.
Lol okay.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't dislike him, I dislike his play. I genuinely hope he turns it around, but I guess I'm not as optimistic as you.
I've stated many times that I'm not that optimistic, but that's realistically our only/best hope at this stage. I would say it's maybe a 20% chance that he turns it around this year, but it is what it is at this point. Close to 25% of the season left, team needs to not give up on him and do whatever they can to help him turn him it around. Giving up on him really serves no purpose. And that doesn't mean you play him, it means trying to fix the problem off the ice and with a decent goalie coach, and if it doesn't work, then you have a clearer picture heading into the summer what you need to do with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I've stated many times that I'm not that optimistic, but that's realistically our only/best hope at this stage. I would say it's maybe a 20% chance that he turns it around this year, but it is what it is at this point. Close to 25% of the season left, team needs to not give up on him and do whatever they can to help him turn him it around. Giving up on him really serves no purpose. And that doesn't mean you play him, it means trying to fix the problem off the ice and wit ha decent goalie coach, and if it doesn't work, then you have a clearer picture heading into the summer what you need to do with him.

But given his recent play, we also can't afford to have him in net when we're fighting for a playoff spot. He's too much of a risk at this point and Nashville is very close to catching up to us. How long will McDavid and Draisaitl be this good and injury-free? How many chances will we have before McDrai get fed up with the team and look to sign with a serious contender?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It should be noted Talbot literally had one of the best goalie coaches in the business in New York. He regressed here. I do not think that is an accident.
Not to Mention every goalie that has come here have all had the same weaknesses. And to add insult to injury they have all improved after leaving
Don't find that a coincidence either

I guess Campbell will be bought out after next year once the previous buyouts are off the salary cap))
Just trade him and retain 1.5-2 million and you won't have the dead cap space for multiple years

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not to Mention every goalie that has come here have all had the same weaknesses. And to add insult to injury they have all improved after leaving

Just trade him and retain 1.5-2 million and you won't have the dead cap space for multiple years
Would you take him for 3M?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Schwartz is obviously part of the problem. The one thing is I can easily go back and dig up old threads and replace the name Schwartz with Peters and Chabot. So now the question becomes did the oilers just screw up the goalie coach hire 3 times in a row? Or is there an even deeper issue?
Chabot wasn't an issue. Look at the numbers Dubnyk had here behind a crap team. We might have felt he was, but in reality that team sucked. Compare that to today where the team is actually pretty decent but the goaltending is losing us games.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Just buy his ass out. You’d have to retain and add a pick to dump him.

It’s sad were still talking about ole dusty. It’s been 10 years with this clown. Did talbot actually have his own coach too? I know Smith did and he played better when he had his own coach. That should have been a wake up call for management…

Fire Dusty, maybe a competent coach can get something out of Campbell. But still, the second he regains enough value to be traded I trade him, he’s a 5mil backup. Have to remember we have Skinner, even if Campbell was playing as good as Skinner we’d be wise to move him.

Skinner needs half decent experienced backup, someone who can actually impart some advice on a young goalie. What experience does Campbell have? He’s got the same experience as freaking Pickard.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because Columbus only took Quick because A they believed they could trade him. And B even if they couldn’t his contract is up this year. Campbell has 4 more years

It would have taken other contracts going the other way, or a huge incentive attached to Campbell.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Trading him is dumb as it will cost too much asset wise that we could use to pursue a very very good player. Buy him out if it looks like after next year the cap will shoot up (tbd based on some tv uncertainty but player debt will be gone for sure).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland should be fired for this screw up too. This and the Nurse overpay hurt the team substantially, needs to be accountability for that, Holland was a goalie himself right? How did he see none of what the Leafs saw in letting him go? Chiarelli should have been fired before he gave Koskinen that awful extension.

I was also surprised that the Oilers gave him 5 years based on no great track record. Should've drawn the line at 4 years max .... what really was he going to do? Sign where?

Reactions: MessierThanThou

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

It does not make any difference. You are still on the hook for the duration of his contract. His buyout will be around 1.5M per year.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Schwartz doesnt seem to be having a negative effect on Skinner though.

When Skinner became a pro, he struggled mightily. It was under the watch of Rodrigue that he corrected his issues. Issues that he picked up being coached by Schwartz. I fully expect, if next year Skinner is full time under Schwartz, to expect a major regression with the same issues that all of Schwartz’ goalies have.

Reactions: T-Funk and McDrai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad