Fire Briere

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I drank (very) questionable amount of beers and talked to (very) questionable people the night before my half marathon. Some stuff that happened in that bar I DO NOT want to recall. Got a PB next day. Carbload?

Was friends with some of the triathlon team in college and they tended to have a rager the night before a race. It seemed like a terrible idea to me, but they insisted it improved their times.

Reactions: Larry44

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I want to have hope for Briere as GM, but some of the things he says make me very concerned. He outright stated he wouldn't trade Laughton for fair value because he has a special relationship from playing with him (even though it was only 5 games!), and because his intangibles have no price. That is a bad approach for an alleged rebuild.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Very discouraging start for Briere.

The Good:
1. Provorov trade
2. Walker trade
3. I guess the Hathaway and Poehling signings were fine

The Bad:
1. Failed Sanheim trade (thanks Krug)
2. Planning to waste a retention slot on D'Angelo only to be saved again from his mistake
3. Failure to trade Laughton at the draft
4. Failure to trade Laughton at the deadline
5. Failure to trade Risto despite rumored interest prior to getting hurt again
6. Failure to trade Seeler
7. Resigning Seeler to a ridiculous 4 year extension

But most of all what this shows is failure - failure to do anything meaningful. The main issue with Briere is that he has no semblance of a plan whatsoever. He just says they are rebuilding but his actions don't back that up and he has not done anything to indicate he has a plan to acquire the 1st line talent this team desperately needs.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Briere needs to go. He’s done nothing to earn our trust. He’s getting clowned in most of his deals, and his moves are generally aimed at keeping things as close to the status quo, while also selling a few more tickets. He has next to no credentials and learned his “craft” by running around behind Val and sniffing Chuck’s farts. There is nothing redeeming about him. Look at what he raised for a son. Everything about him screams someone who thinks he is smarter than the rest of the league.

His “best” moves were prompted by either 1) Torts demanding them to move the players 2) break downs in negotiations when it was initially clearly his aim to sign the player.

Other than that, he’s continued to re-sign players at “peak” value, accumulate really poor assets to retain horrid contracts, and traded away other assets for awful players.

I would fire his ass today and send Jones packing as well. I would probably sooner keep Torts than Briere, as I despise cowards even more than assholes. Plus, we can at least hope a new GM has the balls to fire Torts. We already know Briere and Jones are there to placate him. Until they go, he’s not going anywhere.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Very discouraging start for Briere.

The Good:
1. Provorov trade
2. Walker trade
3. I guess the Hathaway and Poehling signings were fine

The Bad:
1. Failed Sanheim trade (thanks Krug)
2. Planning to waste a retention slot on D'Angelo only to be saved again from his mistake
3. Failure to trade Laughton at the draft
4. Failure to trade Laughton at the deadline
5. Failure to trade Risto despite rumored interest prior to getting hurt again
6. Failure to trade Seeler
7. Resigning Seeler to a ridiculous 4 year extension

But most of all what this shows is failure - failure to do anything meaningful. The main issue with Briere is that he has no semblance of a plan whatsoever. He just says they are rebuilding but his actions don't back that up and he has not done anything to indicate he has a plan to acquire the 1st line talent this team desperately needs.
You overlooked the biggest "bad": the Cutter Gauthier fiasco. The player has the leverage, that's just how it is. They should have figured out something to keep him "happy enough" to not want to leave. You don't get the chance to draft a prospect like him too often.

Reactions: BiggE

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
They really just needed to clean house, that includes the geriatric advisors, Hilferty wont do that because he is a fanboi.

Briere seems over his head, either he is running into interference or he is just not experienced enough -- a bit of both. In hindsight his moves that are positive barely move the needle, he has had some moves that thankfully failed, they had all those leaks, then the rest of the moves are just big 'ol wtf's.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I was called negative for pointing out that keeping the same old people in charge wouldn't lead to change, and that Briere wouldn't have approval to be GM if he were any different. But noooooo I was called negative.

I tried to warn everyone, but helping people with a warning is extremely positive behavior.
you should do home dentistry..

ur pretty good at this..

🤣🤣🤣

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Hes not really in charge of anything anyway. Briere is just part of the same management group that’s been around forever. Nobody is going to get hired in the first place if they don’t have a similar way of thinking - as that old guard.

It was the first season I never watched a full game. Caught maybe a few minutes of I don’t know, a couple games?

Wake me up when Comcast gets replaced by an ownership group that knows what they are doing. It’s a free fall ever since Dave Scott/Hilferty.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Speaking of positive, the one positive aspect of this shocking collapse is that management doesn't get to affirm all their bad processes and keep on doing them unchallenged thanks to a playoff spot.

With the way things have worked, a playoff spot would have resulted in decisions that set the team back years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Magua

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hes not really in charge of anything anyway. Briere is just part of the same management group that’s been around forever. Nobody is going to get hired in the first place if they don’t have a similar way of thinking - as that old guard.

It was the first season I never watched a full game. Caught maybe a few minutes of I don’t know, a couple games?

Wake me up when Comcast gets replaced by an ownership group that knows what they are doing. It’s a free fall ever since Dave Scott/Hilferty.
The fish always rots at the head...

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Speaking of positive, the one positive aspect of this shocking collapse is that management doesn't get to affirm all their bad processes and keep on doing them unchallenged thanks to a playoff spot.

With the way things have worked, a playoff spot would have resulted in decisions that set the team back years.

Sometimes I feel the Flyer fanbase is a nice little lesson into also why the US empire is falling apart. How quickly people fell back in line to cheering this shit on, it’s honestly pathetic.

As always, the Flyers are beyond lucky they play in a media market that caters to them. If they did this shit in Toronto, they would be crucified - and rightfully so.

They like to pretend they are one of the premier clubs in the league, but those days are long gone.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As always, the Flyers are beyond lucky they play in a media market that caters to them. If they did this shit in Toronto, they would be crucified - and rightfully so.

They like to pretend they are one of the premier clubs in the league, but those days are long gone.

I get why it looks this way, but the Flyers by and large don't get favorable coverage. They get nothing, which is worst case. Outside of the outlets they own, they basically don't exist.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I have bad news for you.

They're going to continue doing the same things because this was a rebuilding year. They weren't supposed to make the playoffs. The Authentic Anthony's of the world are already eating that line of thinking up. Not to mention just because they're not doing what YOU want as a rebuild doesn't mean they're not rebuilding... *fart noise*

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Oh you sweet, summer child…

They will keep doing exactly what they’ve been doing. It’s just what they do.

Reactions: LegionOfGloom

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I get why it looks this way, but the Flyers by and large don't get favorable coverage. They get nothing, which is worst case. Outside of the outlets they own, they basically don't exist.
This was the first thing that Keith Jones said on WIP after he got the job. He wants them to be the Eagles (which will never happen).

Just another reason that they love Torts though. He gets their name out there.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

100% thus ^^^

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This was the first thing that Keith Jones said on WIP after he got the job. He wants them to be the Eagles (which will never happen).

Just another reason that they love Torts though. He gets their name out there.
Keith Jones is clearly on drugs...

What a dellusional aspiration. This guy is all show and no substance besides cocaine...

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have bad news for you.

They're going to continue doing the same things because this was a rebuilding year. They weren't supposed to make the playoffs. The Authentic Anthony's of the world are already eating that line of thinking up. Not to mention just because they're not doing what YOU want as a rebuild doesn't mean they're not rebuilding... *fart noise*

Oh you sweet, summer child…

They will keep doing exactly what they’ve been doing. It’s just what they do.

Oh no no no, don't think I was implying that this would cause Change. Only that it will stunt a bad impulse or two.

Can you imagine what they'd do and what they'd trade if they thought they were playoffs ready and just need to get over the bump?

Reactions: BiggE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad