Finnish Prospect Update Thread

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Only now started watching Pohjola Camp games. Watched 3 teams Hinet, Sepet and Puljut theres been 4 standout players, the centers Ville Väärälä and Markus Loponen, winger Matvey Butkovskiy and defender Toni Nyman.

Roope Rajala has some of the best technical hands and his strong on puck and battles but he is really slow and bad skater. If your skating sticks out bad against your national peers at Pohjola Camp I don't think you can be top prospect. Hiltunen, Rönnqvist, Mustonen, Rantala, J.Keinänen, K.Keinänen, Ojanen, Mäki-Runsas, Olli and Paqvalin don't seem anything special either.

Reactions: Keke

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Halttunen now has 9+9=18 in 13 games in U20 SM for a solid 1.38 PPG. He could be ripe for a taste of Liiga this season, but he plays for Jokerit, so would that require a loan or something?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Top talents in my oppinion for 2024 Draft.

2024 Draft

Top 10 Overall
1. Aron Kiviharju
2. Konsta Helenius
3. Emil Vinni
4. Tuomas Suoniemi
5. Joona Saarelainen
6. Niilopekka Muhonen
7. Emil Hemming
8. Sebastian Soini
9. Ville Väärälä
10. Toni Nyman

Potential Centers
1. Tuomas Suoniemi
2. Joona Saarelainen
3. Ville Väärälä
4. Topias Hynninen
5. Markus Loponen
6. Natan Teshome
7. Kasperi Keinänen

Pure Wingers
1. Konsta Helenius
2. Emil Hemming
3. Julius Miettinen
4. Matvey Butkovskiy
5. Leo Tuuva
6. Roope Vesterinen
7. Roope Rajala
8. Heikki Ruohonen
9. Joonas Paqvalin

Defenders
1. Aron Kiviharju
2. Niilopekka Muhonen
3. Sebastian Soini
4. Toni Nyman
5. Veeti Väisänen
6. Bruno Jalasti
7. Mitja Jokinen
8. Niko Ojanen
9. Eelis Marila

Goalies
1. Emil Vinni
2. Petteri Rimpinen
3. Otto Hannikainen

Updated

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So I am a bit late getting into the true swing of hockey things this year due to a move and reno stuff. Yesterday I was wondering how some prospects were doing, in this case Niemela. I scooted over to the league website and offensively he seems to be lights out. Strangely I don't see anyone talking about him in the prospects section or really Leafland.

Can anyone provide insight? Is he looking as good as his numbers? Playing any semblance of defence? I'll take anything.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Niemelä's doing amazing. People are complaining about him being bad at defending but I don't really agree with them, I think he's fine, being 19 and all. Defense is easier to learn down the line anyway, offense is what gets you paid.

Reactions: Ippenator

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think Niemelä's doing amazing. People are complaining about him being bad at defending but I don't really agree with them, I think he's fine, being 19 and all. Defense is easier to learn down the line anyway, offense is what gets you paid.
Thanks for the input. I just can't understand why no one seems to be talking about him? Offensive numbers at least seem insane. Moreso given age and position vs peers. I would have to guess his numbers for that age have to put him in some pretty rare air historically? Also interesting what you said re D as I had read before that he was very good on D but just recently started adding offense?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thanks for the input. I just can't understand why no one seems to be talking about him? Offensive numbers at least seem insane. Moreso given age and position vs peers. I would have to guess his numbers for that age have to put him in some pretty rare air historically? Also interesting what you said re D as I had read before that he was very good on D but just recently started adding offense?
I think it's just people failing to put into perspective how difficult it is to play 20+min a game in Liiga at 19. Yeah, he's not a Heiskanen defensively, but I don't think it's correct to call it a weakness.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Niemelä was always very talented offensivily from when I started watching from U16 National team onwards I never understood where the low offence talk came from

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think it's just people failing to put into perspective how difficult it is to play 20+min a game in Liiga at 19. Yeah, he's not a Heiskanen defensively, but I don't think it's correct to call it a weakness.

Certainly seems promising. Can't hurt having him, Liljegren and Sandin.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Niemelä was always very talented offensivily from when I started watching from U16 National team onwards I never understood where the low offence talk came from

Funny because with Liljegren you always heard the opposite, people raving about his offense despite him not really putting up huge numbers. Good numbers, not huge. On Niemela most of what I had read was that the tools were there but he opted for safe play whereas now he's opening it up and transitioning a ton. Strangely I think this is where Liljegren got his early rep as an offensive D, mainly because he was very good at the transition game. Anyhow, hope he keeps soaring but doesn't forget D.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Watching him in Pohjola and vs Germany, Emil Hemming looked like a very low hockey IQ player to me. And he also was cut from the u16 national team vs Germany.

There probably is a reason he's not playing in u-18s.

After that he played 14 games in U18 with 9+8 points. Now he's playing in U20 league.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
After that he played 14 games in U18 with 9+8 points. Now he's playing in U20 league.
Funny how it goes sometimes, I wasn't very impressed by his showing against Germany either. Felt like he tried to do it all himself too often, wasn't really using his linemates that well.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Konsta Helenius solidifying his spot as the top 2024 forward for me. He doesn't stand out as the absolutely best shooter or the fastest skater, but he still has a great set of tools, and in my opinion is the best at utilising them (among forwards). Helenius and Kiviharju currently stand out as being a step or two ahead in how they see and create weak spots on the offense.

Reactions: Pardus

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
U16 National team is ridiculous. Made Sweden look like pylons in this 2nations tournament. Kiviharju has been primus motor

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
Konsta Helenius solidifying his spot as the top 2024 forward for me. He doesn't stand out as the absolutely best shooter or the fastest skater, but he still has a great set of tools, and in my opinion is the best at utilising them (among forwards). Helenius and Kiviharju currently stand out as being a step or two ahead in how they see and create weak spots on the offense.
2006 agegroup seems better than 05 overall aswell smoking the swedes rn 3rd day in a row

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Do you guys think Kemell can play in the NHL next season or should he spend another year in Finland??
I would hope he gets to stay in Finland for at least one more season. His game has looked difficult after the returned from the injury and I would assume that he will not go in the top-5 like it looked like at some point. However as a hometown hero and JYP being a really difficult situation right now it would probably good for him to go somewhere with less pressure and for the team to get those sweet NHL contract compensation dollars.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I would hope he gets to stay in Finland for at least one more season. His game has looked difficult after the returned from the injury and I would assume that he will not go in the top-5 like it looked like at some point. However as a hometown hero and JYP being a really difficult situation right now it would probably good for him to go somewhere with less pressure and for the team to get those sweet NHL contract compensation dollars.

I'd probably have him spend 2 years in Finland. I can't remember the last time Ottawa drafted a Finn.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Jesse Nurmis numbers do impress me. He's playing for KooKoo and is still managing producing points at a young age. Has anyone seen one of his games lately?
What about Topias Hynninen? Jesse Kiiskinen?
Emil Järventies numbers do surprise me a bit, not in the best way. Kuusla falls in to the same category.
Halttunen, could he be a first rounder perhaps?

Has anyone seen Marjala in Quebec? Underwhelming numbers no matter what.
Always felt Koivunen had more to offer than Tuomaala even if Tuomaala can skate and shoot, but never did I believe the difference would be so big at this early stage of their careers. Let's see if he can get a similar effect as Aatu Räty got after changed sceneries.
I hope Huuhtanen is working on his skating and stamina because I always saw some raw potential in him even if he had a small role at u-18´s. Hope he gets the chance at u-20 level for Finland as well.
I had my hopes for Malinen after watching him a time ago but I guess his struggling a bit. Still young and a D. I mean Suomi was horrendous in the same tournament but he seems to be able to change things around.

Is it possible that Vinni and Vali could be as promising as Saros and Husso were? 10 years later. Pretty sick that Lankinen is born 95 as well.
I´m getting my hopes up for Vinni.

I understand this could be considered as irrelevant but I still have some thoughts I want to share. Leevi Aaltonen feels like Finlands version of Collberg. Looked promising at U-18 level. He went to KooKoo when Ahokas was the manager and they shared some history together and then Ahokas left for TPS a short period after Leevi arrived. He's not been lucky but he's one of those few I´ve had completely wrong about regarding potential. Collberg was always physically weak in my opinion and a poor skater. Leevi on the other hand showed some feisty acceleration and therefor bigger chances to become a role player... Well, impossible for everyone to pan out.
Myllylä was another one who impressed me, but more in a old fashioned Finnish way as a good skater, big lungs and intensive forechecking, sisu. Hope he finds his passion in life and gets well.

Reactions: Erikfromfin

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Jesse Nurmis numbers do impress me. He's playing for KooKoo and is still managing producing points at a young age. Has anyone seen one of his games lately?
What about Topias Hynninen? Jesse Kiiskinen?
Emil Järventies numbers do surprise me a bit, not in the best way. Kuusla falls in to the same category.
Halttunen, could he be a first rounder perhaps?

Has anyone seen Marjala in Quebec? Underwhelming numbers no matter what.
Always felt Koivunen had more to offer than Tuomaala even if Tuomaala can skate and shoot, but never did I believe the difference would be so big at this early stage of their careers. Let's see if he can get a similar effect as Aatu Räty got after changed sceneries.
I hope Huuhtanen is working on his skating and stamina because I always saw some raw potential in him even if he had a small role at u-18´s. Hope he gets the chance at u-20 level for Finland as well.
I had my hopes for Malinen after watching him a time ago but I guess his struggling a bit. Still young and a D. I mean Suomi was horrendous in the same tournament but he seems to be able to change things around.

Is it possible that Vinni and Vali could be as promising as Saros and Husso were? 10 years later. Pretty sick that Lankinen is born 95 as well.
I´m getting my hopes up for Vinni.

I understand this could be considered as irrelevant but I still have some thoughts I want to share. Leevi Aaltonen feels like Finlands version of Collberg. Looked promising at U-18 level. He went to KooKoo when Ahokas was the manager and they shared some history together and then Ahokas left for TPS a short period after Leevi arrived. He's not been lucky but he's one of those few I´ve had completely wrong about regarding potential. Collberg was always physically weak in my opinion and a poor skater. Leevi on the other hand showed some feisty acceleration and therefor bigger chances to become a role player... Well, impossible for everyone to pan out.
Myllylä was another one who impressed me, but more in a old fashioned Finnish way as a good skater, big lungs and intensive forechecking, sisu. Hope he finds his passion in life and gets well.
I've been slacking on this age group and 2023 draft class a bit but Halttunen is the clear number 1 guy. In vacuum I would put him mid first round range, big fella with good hands, shot and mean tackles. Kuusla is still my 2nd ranked player a clear standout player for U17 NT in autumn, his got good skating, hands and moves. Missed ton of games over the years but always been impressive when seen him.
After those 2 it gets tricky. There's about 10 guys next that could go in any order. From centers I like Tom Leppä the most, a bulky strong two-way guy who works well both ends of the ice and has nose for the net, a poor mans Anton Lundell type player. Also the skilled and crafty Arttu Alasiurua and Benjamin Rautiainen are in the mix. From wingers Emil Järventie is active always making things happen and good at everything player, he clearly struggled and wasn't quite ready for U18 Hlinka level. Haven't seen his USHL games but production hasn't been there. Jesse Nurmi is explosive player with great acceleration he can fly past opponents in blink of an eye, thou atleast in U17 NT he didn't shine, there's long stretches in games where he has no impact and struggles to get involved in the play. Jesse Kiiskinen and the late 04 Lenni Hämeenaho are also in the mix. From defenders Emil Pieniniemi is the most impressive, a really good passer and puck distributor a true marshal from the back end and solid at both ends of the ice. Then there's 3 big fellas Kalle Kangas, Niklas Talvikunnas and late 04 Niko Minkkinen that are impressive. Talvikunnas stands out as the most physical player with big shot. Minkkinen is the best skater of the trio and Kangas the most solid defensive guy. And the last guy late 04 Arttu Kärki is good puck carrier, puck rusher who likes to join the offense. I think goaltending battle will be between Visa Vedenpää and Noa Vali, I don't see either at the level of 2022 Leinonen or 2024 Vinni.

Raw ranking

Potential Centers
1. Tom Leppä
2. Arttu Alasiurua
3. Benjamin Rautiainen
4. Rasmus Kumpulainen
5. Otso Ylitalo

Pure Wingers
1. Kasper Halttunen
2. Emil Kuusla
3. Jesse Nurmi
4. Emil Järventie
5. Jesse Kiiskinen
6. Lenni Hämeenaho
7. Elias Jansson

Defenders
1. Emil Pieniniemi
2. Niko Minkkinen
3. Arttu Kärki
4. Niklas Talvikunnas
5. Kalle Kangas
6. Jimi Junkkari
7. Jussi Kähkönen
8. Janne Peltonen

Goalies
1. Visa Vedenpää
2. Noa Vali
3. Manu Lukkarinen
4. Henri Karppinen

Last edited:

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I've been slacking on this age group and 2023 draft class a bit but Halttunen is the clear number 1 guy. In vacuum I would put him mid first round range, big fella with good hands, shot and mean tackles. Kuusla is still my 2nd ranked player a clear standout player for U17 NT in autumn, his got good skating, hands and moves. Missed ton of games over the years but always been impressive when seen him.
After those 2 it gets tricky. There's about 10 guys next that could go in any order. From centers I like Tom Leppä the most, a bulky strong two-way guy who works well both ends of the ice and has nose for the net, a poor mans Anton Lundell type player. Also the skilled and crafty Arttu Alasiurua and Benjamin Rautiainen are in the mix. From wingers Emil Järventie is active always making things happen and good at everything player, he clearly struggled and wasn't quite ready for U18 Hlinka level. Haven't seen his USHL games but production hasn't been there. Jesse Nurmi is explosive player with great acceleration he can fly past opponents in blink of an eye, thou atleast in U17 NT he didn't shine, there's long stretches in games where he has no impact and struggles to get involved in the play. Jesse Kiiskinen and the late 04 Lenni Hämeenaho are also in the mix. From defenders Emil Pieniniemi is the most impressive, a really good passer and puck distributor a true marshal from the back end and solid at both ends of the ice. Then there's 3 big fellas Kalle Kangas, Niklas Talvikunnas and late 04 Niko Minkkinen that are impressive. Talvikunnas stands out as the most physical player with big shot. Minkkinen is the best skater of the trio and Kangas the most solid defensive guy. And the last guy late 04 Arttu Kärki is good puck carrier, puck rusher who likes to join the offense. I think goaltending battle will be between Visa Vedenpää and Noa Vali, I don't see either at the level of 2022 Leinonen or 2024 Vinni.

Raw ranking

Centers
1. Tom Leppä
2. Arttu Alasiurua
3. Benjamin Rautiainen
4. Rasmus Kumpulainen

Wingers
1. Kasper Halttunen
2. Emil Kuusla
3. Jesse Nurmi
4. Emil Järventie
5. Jesse Kiiskinen
6. Lenni Hämeenaho
7. Otso Ylitalo
8. Elias Jansson
9. Tuomas Uronen

Defenders
1. Emil Pieniniemi
2. Niko Minkkinen
3. Arttu Kärki
4. Niklas Talvikunnas
5. Kalle Kangas
6. Jimi Junkkari
7. Jussi Kähkönen
8. Janne Peltonen

Goalies
1. Visa Vedenpää
2. Noa Vali
3. Manu Lukkarinen
4. Henri Karppinen
Could you elaborate a bit on Kiiskinen and Leppa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad