Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Can't wait for there to be some bad blood between the two teams next season. Getting Aho would definitely be retribution for Koivu's eye.

Although I think their franchise might actually fold after getting punked so hard.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
It actually might be, I'm not entirely sure. I'm just going off what I read somewhere.

But I doubt Bergevin tenders two offersheets at once.

It's a pretty big deal that Aho actually signed this one. It means he's willing to go to Montreal at a relatively reasonable AAV. Lavoie was on 590 suggesting Aho wasn't really happy in Carolina for what it's worth.
Him not being happy is interesting signing a 5 year deal that leaves him stuck somewhere hes unhappy if its matched makes me wonder why he agreed to it if hes trying to get out

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They STILL CAN make the decision tougher.

For the next 7 days.

I'm just not sure that Carolina is even interested in negotiating something. Aho is a young, franchise player. He's not replaceable.

Unless Aho wants out, I don't see what realistic sweetener gets the job done.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Whether the Canes accept or not, it’s great to see Bergevin going for a big move finally.

Glad he’s aiming for a young star as opposed to overpaying a free agent like Lee who would make us marginally better.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Send them Suzuki plus a 2021 3rd Round Pick for whatever.

Canes don't match. Aho comes to Montreal.

It becomes Aho + whatever for Suzuki + a 2020 1st + a 2020 2nd + a 2020 3rd + a 2021 3rd.

Unless Carolina REALLY likes Suzuki and/or Aho wants out, I don't see Carolina doing that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Carolina fans:
sel-table%20ps_visuel.jpg

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Regarding Bergy twice saying "He wants to play in Montreal", do you think maybe he has some inside knowledge of the Carolina Owner, like he regards loyalty above all else or something? Poisoning the well a little bit?

Definitely possible. Usually there's hard feelings among the team and fans when a young player goes out and does something like this.

OTOH, if the Canes had negotiated in good faith chances are good Aho doesn't look elsewhere. It's a riot that Waddell is talking about "how easy it is going to be to match," then why the f*** didn't you just sign him.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Him not being happy is interesting signing a 5 year deal that leaves him stuck somewhere hes unhappy if its matched makes me wonder why he agreed to it if hes trying to get out
He agreed to it because he's young as hell and going UFA after 5 years is a HELL of a lot better than after 8 years. He will take good money for 5 to make crazy money on his next contract.

The canes would not go 5 years. He signs the offer sheet, someone ( maybe even the canes) gets him to UFA in 5 years.

Why would he NOT sign that?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Definitely possible. Usually there's hard feelings among the team and fans when a young player goes out and does something like this.

OTOH, if the Canes had negotiated in good faith chances are good Aho doesn't look elsewhere. It's a riot that Waddell is talking about "how easy it is going to be to match," then why the **** didn't you just sign him.
This i cant believe how many people are like thanks Habs you got us a great deal, really did we then why didnt your GM already have this deal signed

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

OTOH, if the Canes had negotiated in good faith chances are good Aho doesn't look elsewhere. It's a riot that Waddell is talking about "how easy it is going to be to match," then why the **** didn't you just sign him.

At the moment I'm writing this post... we have exactly the same number of messages.Which is weird.

This post broke the equality.Your response will bring it back.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
In the history of sign and trades, how many GM's were left holding the bag?

I'll wait.

Sign and trades could be contractual, as in worded in the trade. I am not privy to the details and I doubt you are either. But even if sign and trades totally relied on the good faith of all parties involved, it's a completely different situation than an offer sheet. One involves parties which are mutually agreeing to something and have no reason to screw each others off. The other involves 2 parties who now have bad blood as a result of the offer sheet. It's completely different, so I don't need to come up with example of anything since that proves nothing regardless.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The last part is a little harsh, no?
They made the playoffs and had a great run.
The idea that their fan base are people killing time waiting for the next NASCAR race to start isn't true.

As a small market team they have issues we do not, it doesn't make their fans drooling idiots.
Maybe it was a little harsh but it’s not like hockey is much of a big deal there, free tickets and discounted seats galore and after game gimmicks just to try and get people interested. I blame Bettman for trying to make it work in some of the markets in the states and not the fans.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

i would love to have a camera on the Canes owner face the second he found out he pays 21 million after 12 months..lol
Bet ya there was some foul language ....

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm just not sure that Carolina is even interested in negotiating something. Aho is a young, franchise player. He's not replaceable.

Unless Aho wants out, I don't see what realistic sweetener gets the job done.
He does want out which is why he refused to sign the 8 year deal.

You have to agree that even as good as he is, there HAS to be a deal where it is in the canes best interest to to not match?
Right?

Whether we have the assets to cross that line, I can't say. But we have 7 days to find out.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

It was Renaud Lavoie for what it's worth. Don't know if it's true. But the deal takes him straight to UFA and gives him a lot of guaranteed money up front in much more tax-advantaged manner (especially in Montreal). And even when/if Carolina matches, they can trade him next offseason for a hell of a lot. Plus, players that sign offersheets tend to get traded, GMs hold grudges.

Reactions: habsfan891

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I would have tried to make the decision tougher on Carolina, but I appreciate that Bergevin realized that a middling UFA wasn't going to make difference for Montreal.

People can complain about the cap space all they want, but it's better not to spend it than spend it poorly.
Exactly. Bergevin's gotten smarter at doing this and has been really patient. Imo he's learned from being a first time inexperienced GM 2012-2016 (where he singlehandedly blew up the habs cup window) and he's shown to be improving at making successful decisions after 2016-2017.

His plan isn't to be the next columbus blue jackets; get UFAs or Trades of peak players for cheap value to get a contending team for a year or two. I think he's trying to make a contending team for a minimum of a decade by efficiently utilizing player salaries and contracts, using ELCs Rfas and building through the draft. Exciting so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad