Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most of their contracts pre-date their current owner or come from other teams tho.

Except that the previous owner who worked that way, still holds a sizeable percentage of the team right now.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Sign and trade means a team signs a player with the intent of trading him. The intent. You cannot enter into a contract with team A provisional on whether you can trade him to team C. That's not how it works.

If your word is not good ( or is provisionally good) then being a GM isn't for you.

A GM who teaches on a deal is not trustworthy.

That kind of stink doesn't dissipate.

I know what a sign and trade is lol..... But the new deal with the player can be conditional to the trade and worded in the trade to take into effect all at once. I don't know the exact mechanics because I'm not a NHL/team lawyer and neither are you.

And once again, all it takes is one GM who's at the end of the road who doesn't care and once again a sign and trade is a completely different situation in terms of emotional stakes between all parties involved as an offer sheet.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't know if I would call the below the opposite of what I said and even if it were, it was in 1997 and much has changed, clearly not even close to the same CBA.

https://thehockeywriters.com/rfas-and-offer-sheets-a-look-back/

That's not the point AT ALL.

You said the two GMs wouldnt trust each other after an OS.

The example I gave you shows you this is false. The compensation trade was even done after the signing was not matched. No matter the CBA.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Maybe it was a little harsh but it’s not like hockey is much of a big deal there, free tickets and discounted seats galore and after game gimmicks just to try and get people interested. I blame Bettman for trying to make it work in some of the markets in the states and not the fans.

It is silly to blame Bettman as he doesn't decide where teams go. He works for the owners and simply does whatever the board of governors asks him to do.

Never understood the "blame Bettman" silliness. He doesn't arbitrarily make changes to the game, he is just there to actualize, consolidate and expedite the plans of the Board.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
That's not the point AT ALL.

You said the two GMs wouldnt trust each other after an OS.

The example I gave you shows you this is false. The compensation trade was even done after the signing was not matched. No matter the CBA.

You are the one who is missing the point. I'm talking about a deal where the two GM would make a side deal to sweeten the pot to entice Carolina to accept not to match. This implies trust on one side to follow through on the promise made if it it's not written in the deal. Not talking about the two same GMs later making a deal not conditional to anything.

And it's not because 2 GMs did it one day that it would be the same for all GMs. Brian Burke for example was FURIOUS about an OS made to one his player. Perhaps he would not have made a deal with the same GM after. Not every case is the same.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You are the one who is missing the point. I'm talking about a deal where the two GM would make a side deal to sweeten the pot to entice Carolina to accept not to match. This implies trust on one side to follow through on the promise made if it it's not written in the deal. Not talking about the two same GMs later making a deal not conditional to anything.

That's EXACTLY what happened in the Gratton case

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Going through their board, I sensed some not happy with Canes' front offices, some not happy with Aho, a lot of them not happy with Montreal.

But almost everyone is confident they will match.

I’ve read them and it looked to me that very few blamed the player. They put it mostly on the owner for not having come to terms with Aho.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It is silly to blame Bettman as he doesn't decide where teams go. He works for the owners and simply does whatever the board of governors asks him to do.

Never understood the "blame Bettman" silliness. He doesn't arbitrarily make changes to the game, he is just there to actualize, consolidate and expedite the plans of the Board.
He seems to be well loved around the league by fans of all 31 teams.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Out of curiosity, does anybody know how long it took other teams with previous offersheets? We know Nashville with Weber, buy what about the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->