Confirmed with Link: Finnish Aho signs offer sheet from Finnish Montreal (5 years, $8.54M AAV) - Part 2 (Mod warning #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
ob_49037d_imagoid.jpg
Yeah. Terrible day.

If MB really wanted Aho. He should have made a real offer, 10.5m$. You only have to give two first picks. And at least, it could have made the Canes think about it. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd thats bargain bin territory. Every insiders, knowledgeable fans and even nhl.com all agrees that Canes will match. So wtf?

It looks like a real setup between Bergevin and Waddell. So that Waddell can sign his player (because ownership was cheap at firsthand but now it is forced to accept) and it makes Bergevin looks like he « tried ».

In the end, yeah its all make-up and smoke.

We wont have Aho in our oppening line-up; we didnt signed any good ufas; we lost shaw (20goals last year).

Yes we can replace Shaw internally with all our good prospects. But at the end of the day, MB failed again. His 1st plan was Duchene, his 2nd was « aho » or was it? And now we are stuck in lala land.

But their marketing team and their PR department arr probably really happy. Because MB’s image is at his top, Habs seems like an organisation that tries and les fefans are happy, even though we ended empty handed.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can any potential deal related to Aho between the Habs and Canes be directly tied to the offer sheet, or does it absolutely have to be a side deal? If it's a side deal, is it not like a sort of CBA circumvention? Bergevin said during his presser he couldn't talk trade. Just wondering...

Cannot be tied to the offer sheet. MB was adamant about this.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Lot of people are really overlooking that in these 7 days MB and waddell can disuss side deals to make the offer more to Carolinas liking maybe why they arent matching right away

Not sure side deals happen anymore. It is what it is and Waddell seemed visibly very upset.

It’s a dog eat dog business.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
They may just want to wait the 7 days to make Montreal sweat and tie up their cap.

Not that I think Montreal actually cares.

Way to send a signal to your fanbase just out of vengeful spite.Stupid move.

Montreal have nothing to lose, they weren't going to be contenders anyway.We are in a rebuild.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We cant because our compensation picks are used up on Aho for now

I understood that MB could still offersheet but since his 2020 picks are in play, a new offersheet would simply dip into picks of another year if any of the 2020 picks are unavailable.

Last edited:

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not sure side deals happen anymore. It is what it is and Waddell seemed visibly very upset.

It’s a dog eat dog business.
I agree he seemed really upset i just cant decide if its because he was bluffing about his owner willing to match any contract or not

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The Canes will match this. The whole 21 million dollars in the first year was a good ploy by MB but the Canes owner is loaded and will throw everything at Aho. Waddell will make MB stress until the last minute. Wether Aho remains with the Hurricanes after a year, that is another topic we can discuss when the time comes. The Canes will not let their franchise player walk and the owner knows he has more to lose by letting him go, plain and simple. MB send a message that he is serious about winning and spending, I believe this why this move was made. Hopefully, other tight cap teams reach out to the Habs now. MB has nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad