Finland is a serious contender in Olympics next year

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hakanpää is making a good NHL career now, but I don't think he can fit all too well in Jukka's game plan. Kaski won't be there, probably not Ristolainen either. Määttä and Pokka will be there, maybe Välimäki too. Riikola? Dark horse!
Hakanpää played under Jalonen just two years ago, and clocked the second biggest minutes of the entire team - only Lehtonen got more.

Hakanpää is a big stay-at-home d-man who presently excels in the role against the very best in the world - in other words, he's the very kind of player Jalonen freaking loves. He'll be one of the first d-men JJ will invite, right behind Heiskanen, Lindell and Ristolainen. And since I mentioned Mikko Lehtonen - watch for it: he's another Jalonen familiar and will be there too.

The five mentioned here - Heiskanen, Lindell, Ristolainen, Hakanpää, Lehtonen - will form the core of our defense. And given all he's done in the ongoing games, Jalonen won't pass on Määttä either. That leaves two names out in the open. Jokiharju could be one, given how he answered the call in 2019 - or perhaps Vatanen, if Jalonen wants some veteran presence. I suspect both aren't going to get called, though - too similar rolewise. They're also both quite similar to Pokka, so he's far from a guarantee. The final spot ought to go to some decent utility d-man. Nutivaara is the most established of our NHL names, but Mikkola (another 2019 familiar) would fit the bill too. Or if Jalonen absolutely wants one of his euro familiars, then Ohtamaa is a name to watch out for.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Barkov makes players around him better clearly and makes results with anyone. Laine needs that, Ratanen is used to that (mckinnon).
Therefore,
1st. Rantanen - Barkov - Laine
2nd Kapanen - Aho - Teräväinen // speedy another line. Kapanen can carry his weight and deserves 2nd line winger spot. But its coinflip between him and Donskoi, who is in this line.
3rd Hartikainen - Hintz - Armia // Hartikainen needs to be in, a good work horse. Armia deserves this as well and is LEGIT with big L.
4th Donskoi - Lundel - Granlund
13th: Puljujärvi

Pulju is only 13th right now, but could go past some one next season. However now I feel that he is carried alot by McDavid and I also feel that its not going to happen in team Finland. He is not bad but we simply have so good squad that he is the 13th. Guys ike Kapanen, Teräväinen, Armia, Hartikainen surely carry themself and are ahead of him. Granlund is better defensively and and has won the Finnish League and World Championship gold already, experience like that cant be skipped if he plays well enough in NHL next season.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
We'll see 2 of these 4 teams in the next Olympic final (provided it's a NHL Olympics)

Canada Sweden USA Finland. In a single 1 game elimination winner takes it all - all 4 are serious contenders. That's it.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's little bit frustrating to speculate with these 'dream team NHL-rosters' almost a year before D-Day, considering it is highly unlike that everyone will be fit health-wise.

Also, established trend of yester-years among "NHL-reinforcements" has been to decline an invitation too often (with or without good reason). I expect that at least 25-30% players invited to join to the NT won't be available.

Also, healthy proportion of the roster SHOULD be composed from Euro-players that has participated to recent international tournaments with success, dedication, and shown ability to fully adapt to the system, making THE TEAM perform far above on it's apparent 'on paper' -value results-wise.

Disconcerted NHL stars SHOULD NOT form the entire roster even it would be possible as it seems there aren't anymore as high prestige attached to a chance to wear Leijonat-jersey as before. Why reward players with roster spot who do not often feel any kind responsibility for the National team duties? Why lower the level of established systemic core by dumbing out too many players who have made the Team's recent years unexpected success?

Only those NHL players should be accepted to the team that really show interest and dedication for the project. Half-hearted ones shouldn't even asked. IMO.

Last edited:

Canada is best bro

Jun 5, 2021
Toronto
Serious contender for 4th. With NHL players, Canada is the only contender for gold.

7E2CD3A5-C04F-4C4C-9D4C-ABFB02DC41E0.jpeg

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Barkov makes players around him better clearly and makes results with anyone. Laine needs that, Ratanen is used to that (mckinnon).
Therefore,
1st. Rantanen - Barkov - Laine
2nd Kapanen - Aho - Teräväinen // speedy another line. Kapanen can carry his weight and deserves 2nd line winger spot. But its coinflip between him and Donskoi, who is in this line.
3rd Hartikainen - Hintz - Armia // Hartikainen needs to be in, a good work horse. Armia deserves this as well and is LEGIT with big L.
4th Donskoi - Lundel - Granlund
13th: Puljujärvi

Pulju is only 13th right now, but could go past some one next season. However now I feel that he is carried alot by McDavid and I also feel that its not going to happen in team Finland. He is not bad but we simply have so good squad that he is the 13th. Guys ike Kapanen, Teräväinen, Armia, Hartikainen surely carry themself and are ahead of him. Granlund is better defensively and and has won the Finnish League and World Championship gold already, experience like that cant be skipped if he plays well enough in NHL next season.

I`d put Pulju with Aho&TT. Pulju was put with McDavid to make space. He can do the same on the National team. I`d spread the wealth to 3 lines:

TT - Aho - Pulju
Kapanen - Hintz - Rantanen
Laine - Barkov - Donskoi

Pulju do the dirty work and make space for Aho+TT. Hintz&Kapanen are speedsters and Rantanen a clutch scorer. Hintz sped remind of MacKinnon. Laine&Barkov train together in the summer and probably have good chemistry. Donskoi is a horse and can play anywhere + he is good netfront

Reactions: QnebO

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Yeah, the last time Finland iced a true Dream Team, things went so well :D

1 goal in three games, and a quick exit before the tournament event started.

Makes sense though. All of Finland's championship gold medals were with sort of no-name teams. Of course some players later became NHL stars, but during the tournament they weren't that famous yet. Ie. no pressure on the players.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It's little bit frustrating to speculate with these 'dream team NHL-rosters' almost a year before D-Day, considering it is highly unlike that everyone will be fit health-wise.

Also, established trend of yester-years among "NHL-reinforcements" has been to decline an invitation too often (with or without good reason). I expect that at least 25-30% players invited to join to the NT won't be available.

Also, healthy proportion of the roster SHOULD be composed from Euro-players that has participated to recent international tournaments with success, dedication, and shown ability to fully adapt to the system, making THE TEAM perform far above on it's apparent 'on paper' -value results-wise.

Disconcerted NHL stars SHOULD NOT form the entire roster even it would be possible as it seems there aren't anymore as high prestige attached to a chance to wear Leijonat-jersey as before. Why reward players with roster spot who do not often feel any kind responsibility for the National team duties? Why lower the level of established systemic core by dumbing out too many players who have made the Team's recent years unexpected success?

Only those NHL players should be accepted to the team that really show interest and dedication for the project. Half-hearted ones shouldn't even asked. IMO.

What are good and not so good reasons to decline invitation?

Some people take World Championship tournaments too seriously, the players are not declining invitations from the Finnish army to come and defend the motherland, it's just hockey. Hockey players are humans after all and during their offseason they are allowed to do what they want. There has always been refusals, it's not a new thing. I would rather see a team of players who are at that moment motivated to represent Finland than have players attend just 'cos they are "obligated".

Winning hockey championships is nice and the success lately has been surprising. However, the level of competition will be on another level in the Olympics and the roster should reflect that.
I am sure that the big guns are interested in the Olympics 'cos they are more prestigious and because the competition is the best. Most of those players who have declined invitations have represented Finland before and even lead the team to victories. It would be extremely dumb to leave best players out of the lineup just because they don't always have the energy after 82 games of NHL hockey.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What are good and not so good reasons to decline invitation?

Some people take World Championship tournaments too seriously, the players are not declining invitations from the Finnish army to come and defend the motherland, it's just hockey. Hockey players are humans after all and during their offseason they are allowed to do what they want. There has always been refusals, it's not a new thing. I would rather see a team of players who are at that moment motivated to represent Finland than have players attend just 'cos they are "obligated".

Winning hockey championships is nice and the success lately has been surprising. However, the level of competition will be on another level in the Olympics and the roster should reflect that.
I am sure that the big guns are interested in the Olympics 'cos they are more prestigious and because the competition is the best. Most of those players who have declined invitations have represented Finland before and even lead the team to victories. It would be extremely dumb to leave best players out of the lineup just because they don't always have the energy after 82 games of NHL hockey.

I see your point.

My approach is based on an assumption that achieved level of Team Play in recent international tournaments cannot be maintained with people not interested enough to get acclimatized to the successful system. People, players are what maintain the culture and spirit after all. I highly doubt that even Jalonen could instill the same spirit to the full NHL roster in such short notice likely available, particularly if some of players have attitude "Ok, maybe I could join this time, but I'm not coming to the camp. See you a night before the debut."

Of course. Playing pure or near pure D-team of motley collection of Euro-scraps doesn't promise too good, but the roster full of NHL-players isn't necessarily some kind all saving formula; there is very real possibility they'd play as a team worse than them all summed up as individual parts, something that we do not see with our beloved and fully committed 'Euro-Scraps'.

Some kind of compromise with tradition of culture of success and NHL-reinforcement seems to me best approach. NHL label doesn't ensure anything, particularly not if an individual's self-perceived availability to NT duties doesn't come cincerely from the heart.

You know, the often-heard excuse about long, hard, exhausting NHL season doesn't exactly work when on average that is the case of all (or most) NHL players wanting to take part to the Olympics and other International tournaments.

I don't disagree per se what you say, but I do not see full NHL-roster as best road for success in the Olympics, against the background of NT's experience of past few years.

Last edited:

paragon

May 5, 2010
The reason I put Laine with Teräväinen and Aho is to limit Laine's ice time. Especially in games with a lot of penalties. He's a floater, can't carry the puck without turning it over and a general liability if his line doesn't have possession. Teräväinen and Aho are good enough to carry him. And if Aho can bring the same chemistry they had in 2016, all the better.

I want to give Barkov's line all the hardest matchups when ever possible. That's why I don't want to see Laine in the same line. The fact that he's friends with Barkov doesn't matter at all.

The more I think about Laine the less I want to see him play. I'd almost rather have lines that have great possession and are great at cycling the puck. While Laine could be a massive asset for the PP, it might be better to have a guy like Kakko that can actually carry the puck, has strong board play and generally plays good defensively. Patrik has been the worst +/- player of his team twice in the last 3 years. Once in Winnipeg and now in Columbus. I could live with it when he was top 3 goal scorer in the world, but now the cons don't outweigh the negatives. Team Finland is also in a rare position where they have a lot of scoring depth and they could very well go without a guy like Patrik.

Reactions: BL92

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Of course they are, zero question. Unbelievable team.

I'm curious, though, how they handle going from a 'grind' type team that defends to an NHL All Star team.

What's the strategy? Is it still to sit back and defend and wait to score a goal? Or do they open up and start scoring given they have a lot of talent?

It's almost like they need 2 different coaches.lol

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

I'm curious, though, how they handle going from a 'grind' type team that defends to an NHL All Star team.

What's the strategy? Is it still to sit back and defend and wait to score a goal? Or do they open up and start scoring given they have a lot of talent?

It's almost like they need 2 different coaches.lol
Maybe like WC 2018. But more matured.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The reason I put Laine with Teräväinen and Aho is to limit Laine's ice time. Especially in games with a lot of penalties. He's a floater, can't carry the puck without turning it over and a general liability if his line doesn't have possession. Teräväinen and Aho are good enough to carry him. And if Aho can bring the same chemistry they had in 2016, all the better.
The thing is, Teräväinen-Aho is perhaps the most reliable offensive weapon available to us. A duo like that which has played for years together and know each other inside out is a rare quality in hockey and not what you build a "limited ice time" line out of - they're a pair who are going to play some of the heaviest minutes in the tournament, and should be given the best possible complementary player so that they can do their thing. And Laine is not that player.

I don't necessarily agree with your opinion that Laine is that big of a load as an individual, but I can definitely see where such an opinion is coming from, especially given his latest showings, so I won't contest it much either. But if we go with the logic that Laine is dead weight on even strength and only deserves to be in the team because of what he brings to PP, TT-Aho is NOT the pair you want to strap that weight on. If we have to appoint a player to carry Laine 5-on-5, and Barkov should be occupied elsewhere, then I'd rather see Hintz (accompanied with a suitable utility winger) sacrificed to the role.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

They will play like NY Islanders and every other country will have serious trouble with it.

I also hope they bring in Komarov to this team. To go on people's mind.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
We'll see 2 of these 4 teams in the next Olympic final (provided it's a NHL Olympics)

Canada Sweden USA Finland. In a single 1 game elimination winner takes it all - all 4 are serious contenders. That's it.
I think u forgot Russia in the mix there, and maybe an upset from the Czechs, Slovaks or Swiss or Germs. There are more and more "contenders" theese days.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
1.Canada
2.Usa
3. Finland, Russia
4. Sweden
5. Jagr
6. The rest

But any of those could win it all

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This is incorrect, more like.

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Russia
6. Czech Rep
7. The rest
I could let Finland pass US and Russia, but Sweden no way.

1Canada
2Finland
3Russia
4 Usa/ Sweden
5 Jagr
6 The rest

Sweden need better coaches and development system (more focus on special skills etc) so even if we would have better players(wich we dont) we are sinking slowly while others (Finland Russia ) are rising.

But any of these team could win gold.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
1.Canada
2.Usa
3. Finland, Russia
4. Sweden
5. Jagr
6. The rest

But any of those could win it all

Russias defence and defensive forwards are suspect. They have all the skill in the world for offensive play, but in their own zone they will have problems. I`d say:

1.Canada
2.USA
3.Finland
4.Sweden
5. Russia

6. Czechs

Reactions: ZEBROA

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Russias defence and defensive forwards are suspect. They have all the skill in the world for offensive play, but in their own zone they will have problems. I`d say:

1.Canada
2.USA
3.Finland
4.Sweden
5. Russia

6. Czechs

Again.

1 Canada
2 USA
3 Sweden
4 Russia
5 Finland

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Sweden's top 12 forwards have more points than Finland's by quite a margin, and Heiskanen is the only defenseman who'd make the squad. Finland has better goalies.

The only people who would rank Finland over Sweden are Finns or whining Swedish masochist types like ZEBROA and Eyes of Ra.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden's top 12 forwards have more points than Finland's by quite a margin, and Heiskanen is the only defenseman who'd make the squad. Finland has better goalies.

The only people who would rank Finland over Sweden are Finns or whining Swedish masochist types like ZEBROA and Eyes of Ra.

Finland top 6 forwards have more points than Swedens top 6 forwards.

Regarding d, Sweden have better offensive, but Finlands D are better in their own zone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Points will come in hockey. Those are kind of meaningless. Could care less if Sweden is good at point-scoring.

Points are a thing where player salaries are mostly based.

But winning hockey is based on overall defence which includes goaltending. And that's "point preventing".

Point preventing is the thing what Finns do to opposite teams. It's like playing against 12 Patrice Bergerons, when you play against Finland.

A nightmare.

Reactions: Ghost Bear

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Finland top 6 forwards have more points than Swedens top 6 forwards.

Regarding d, Sweden have better offensive, but Finlands D are better in their own zone.

But I wrote top 12, not top 6.

Since when does Finland have better defensive D than Hedman, Ekholm and Brodin? Hell, even if one of those guys goes out, Hampus Lindholm is better in his own zone than any Finnish D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad