Finland is a serious contender in Olympics next year

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Didn´t we also have some injuries on the centers? Not sure I remember correctly

I think that was in the Olympics in 2014 when there was no Koivu or Filppula and Barkov got injured during the tournament. They had a pretty healthy lineup in the World Cup.

Pretty irrelevant to talk about World Cup, which was 5 years ago. There has been a lot progress since. Might as well mention Finland WC gold in 2019 without full time NHL players.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
But look at the last NHL playoff, why did Montreal go to final and not Colorado , Montreal learned in the regular season that if they want to go far in the PO they have to learn to hit. Montreal was nr 1 in Hits Colorado 31. Last years PO top 4 in hits, was top four in PO. Finland has only 3 hitters Hakanpaa,Ristolainen and Komarov. Take them out and the team is far from contender.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
But look at the last NHL playoff, why did Montreal go to final and not Colorado , Montreal learned in the regular season that if they want to go far in the PO they have to learn to hit. Montreal was nr 1 in Hits Colorado 31. Last years PO top 4 in hits, was top four in PO. Finland has only 3 hitters Hakanpaa,Ristolainen and Komarov. Take them out and the team is far from contender.
NHL play offs is totally different than best of 1 international game's and hitting isnt really important in IIHF competitions More like it could Be harmful because of penalties.

Reactions: iginlafan77

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Finland has only 3 hitters Hakanpaa,Ristolainen and Komarov. Take them out and the team is far from contender.

Komarov has retired from the national team so he won't be in. Finland has done well in the Worlds with teams that have had some talent, but also lots of guys who are defensive grinders yet not considered physically tough or heavy hitters.

I don't think in these Olympics team equal to few top guys and rest of the spots filled with likes of Kiviranta and Haula would bring much success, the emphasis on those teams that succeed are likely on skill and skating.

Last edited:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, obviously we are a serious contender - traditionally a very well coached disciplined team that usually overperforms in top tournaments. And in the past with way worse material than now when we actually do have great talent and some real depth. Not a top-2 favourite but very dangerous in a best of one tournament.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
I think Team Finland is even stronger 2026. We have quite young team for 2022 Olympics… not necessarily any players from 80’s if Rask is not able to play.

’91 Haula
’92 Granlund, Donskoi
’93 Armia
’94 Teräväinen
’95 Barkov
’96 Rantanen, Hintz, Kapanen
’97 Aho
’98 Laine, Puljujärvi

’99 Tolvanen
’00 Kotkaniemi
’01 Kakko

Let’s say if those first 12 names would be a main pieces in 2022 then last 12 could be 2026. And I think those ’94-’98 born players are still in their prime that time.

And at the same time there are Lundell and many other about to get in to that 2026 team as well.

It’s also about the same with defence.

’92 Hakanpää
’94 Lindell, Ristolainen, Määttä, Nutivaara, Lehtonen
’96 Mikkola
’98 Välimäki, Juolevi
’99 Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Vaakanainen, Laaksonen
’01 Heinola

Those ’94 defencemen can be still there and ’98-99 born have more experience and hopefully solid TOP4 defencemen in NHL.

Last edited:

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I think Team Finland is even stronger 2026. We have quite young team for 2022 Olympics… not necessarily any players from 80’s if Rask is not able to play.

Have to agree. 2026 is "our" year, at least the window for olympic gold is open. Beijing olympics are coming a bit too soon.

Reactions: Hiukafen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Have to agree. 2026 is "our" year, at least the window for olympic gold is open. Beijing olympics are coming a bit too soon.
I'd say they're coming a bit too soon for our back end. After multiple years of being the world's #1 elite goalie factory, we suddenly lack that established starter keeper, even though we have a few promising ones in the pipeline. And while we can get a D corps that should solely consist of NHLers, which is actually a rarity for us, it's still not as star-studded as the other contenders'.

But our forwards are absolutely ready. Unless there's a ton of injuries, this will be a historically stacked group for Finland in the terms of raw firepower. And, well, when you consider that usually our problem is scoring, not getting scored on...

Reactions: Hiukafen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad