Nutivaara - Ristolainen
Välimäki - Jokiharju
Lehtonen - Määttä

Hintz - Barkov - Rantanen
Teuvo - Aho - Laine
Donskoi - Granlund - Kapanen
Armia - Kotkaniemi - Puljujärvi
Kiviranta - Haula - Kakko

For me its should be obvious for anyone that Finland can take the gold in Olympics. Yet so many people only mention Canada, Russia, USA.

Finland won silver in world cup 2004 and og 2006 and bronze 2014 with teams that on the paper was not top 7, but now they have a team that is top 4 on the paper + great coaching.

Lehkonen is a better bet to make this team than Puljujarvi.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Their top 2 lines and their goaltending depth are amazing.

However, they lack depth in the 3rd and 4th line, and their d-corps are behind some other top teams.

They might compete for a medal, but I can't see them as favorites for the gold.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Their top 2 lines and their goaltending depth are amazing.

However, they lack depth in the 3rd and 4th line, and their d-corps are behind some other top teams.

They might compete for a medal, but I can't see them as favorites for the gold.

I agree with all your points, but just pointing out the following in general.

Depth matters in the Olympics, but not as much as many might think. Someone like Canada is going to have a much better 4th line on paper than Finland, but the advantage is not impossibly large, because:

1. The depth lines don't play as much. Finland has amazing top lines and they will play a lot of minutes. It is a short tournament, so they can handle the minutes. The quality of a 4th line is of lesser importance than the top lines. I'm not worried about the 3rd line, it will probably be centered by Hintz so... It would be a lot worse if Finland lacked top end talent. The defenders are not world beaters, but they are very capable players who hopefully buy into Jalonen's system.

2. Finland will probably ice depth players and penalty killers who are used to being just that in their regular clubs. They will be used to their roles. Meanwhile a team full of stars might have players used to playing huge minutes on the 4th line, struggling to play their best because of the different role. A great player will obviously be good even in the 4th line, but might not perform THAT much better than an established role player if the star player doesn't see a lot of ice time and get a feel for the puck.

At least I'm counting on it. :D

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Im really starting to hope that nhlers will be absent. That would greatly improve our chances at gold. With nhlers we wont win anyway and we have a plenty of bronze medals etc already.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Im really starting to hope that nhlers will be absent. That would greatly improve our chances at gold. With nhlers we wont win anyway and we have a plenty of bronze medals etc already.

I'm just gonna say that I couldn't disagree more. We have had enough Skoda Cups, gimmick World Cups and non-NHL Olympics. Let us finally see the very best every nation has to offer, and may the best team win.

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
oBelojj.png

Theyre pretty fuking huge physically for a country known almost as manlets. Hope they have the speed and agility that used be the strength lol. Lets hope for some meanstreaks.

Last edited:

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
oBelojj.png

Theyre pretty fuking huge physically for a country known almost as manlets. Hope they have the speed and agility that used be the strength lol. Lets hope for some meanstreaks.
Arent Finns usually taller on average than lets say average Canuck or Russian ? Swedes are ofc taller on average i would suppose..

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
oBelojj.png

I would not be surprised if Kakko makes the team. He´s not a small guy either. 190cm and 93kg. Let´s see how his season starts...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Saros
Rask
Rinne

Heiskanen - Lindell
Nutivaara - Ristolainen
Välimäki - Jokiharju
Lehtonen - Määttä

Hintz - Barkov - Rantanen
Teuvo - Aho - Laine
Donskoi - Granlund - Kapanen
Armia - Kotkaniemi - Puljujärvi
Kiviranta - Haula - Kakko

For me its should be obvious for anyone that Finland can take the gold in Olympics. Yet so many people only mention Canada, Russia, USA.

Finland won silver in world cup 2004 and og 2006 and bronze 2014 with teams that on the paper was not top 7, but now they have a team that is top 4 on the paper + great coaching.
Anyone from the big hockey nations is a serious contender in such a tournament. It will depend on a lot of factors.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
While I think maybe the Finns is slightly better on paper nowdays, games between FIN-SWE is always unpredictable. I am nervous already.

Finland has more flash in the top 6, but arguably a worse forward squad overall, and definitely a worse D squad. At goaltending I go with Finland.

But who cares really. There's all this talk-up about rosters, and eventually it just comes down to single games where the winning team happened to be hotter that day.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
On paper the strongest finnish team ever. With the same attidude as in the past bset on best tournaments(medals with much weaker roster than now), they ve a good chance for a big success.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Last time Finland has their best team they score only 1 goal in 3 games.

The young players weren't ready for that yet + wrong coach. Inexperienced! But now there are Aho., Barkov, Rantanen, Heiskanen and co. Grown up

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
The young players weren't ready for that yet + wrong coach. Inexperienced! But now there are Aho., Barkov, Rantanen, Heiskanen and co. Grown up
Didn´t we also have some injuries on the centers? Not sure I remember correctly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad