PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Think I heard earlier today that Canada had been undefeated at home vs. Finland, something like 11-0.

Must've been for knockout games only, since Finland beat them last month in a prelim game before the tourney started.

That's going back a long long time, though. I think Canada is 0-3 against the Finns in the Playoff rounds in the last 5-6 years. Before that it seemed like Canada was stomping them left and right every time they met in a meaningful game and now it's turned upside down.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Canada lost a game, it’s really not the end of the world and doesn’t call for a Hockey Canada summit. It isn’t like Finland is a scrub nation, they were one of the favourites coming into the tournament. Once they lost the Russia game, it was inevitable that they’d a strong team in the Quarter-Finals.

no, its not about a game

its about a trend

When was the last time we beat the USA....the USA has our number

the trend is it is becoming harder to beat the Russians also

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I'm kind of retired from that business. And I don't think my current computer can handle processing any videos. :laugh: I'm sure others will be making WJC video from Kakko after it's all over.

Ah man I was always a fan of your videos. Do you happen to know any channel that usually puts up these kinda vids?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
no, its not about a game

its about a trend

When was the last time we beat the USA....the USA has our number

the trend is it is becoming harder to beat the Russians also

Which I think you can attribute to the fact that other countries are producing as much or better talent then they have before. The USA especially, are starting to tap into all the untouched athletes they’ve gained from the rise of hockey in non-traditional states. Making their whole program better as a whole. Naturally having more access to these athletes has allowed them to uncover players they didn’t have even 10 years ago.

The fact of the matter is, every year there is 5 teams that can win gold in any given WJC. Only 4 can make the Semi-Finals. Canada not making it every year really isn’t a big deal, countries are going to have ups and downs. They maybe lost to the Gold Medal winner, this isn’t some kind of epidemic.

As much fun as it was watching Canada steam roll teams at this event for years, it wasn’t a good product. The hockey is better than ever before and I don’t really get why people can’t just accept that. Canada isn’t entitled to a gold medal, the fact they aren’t speaks volumes more to how far the other countries programs have come, then it does the fact that Hockey Canada’s is failing.

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
How about getting a decent coaching staff? Hunter should have manned up and took most of the criticism considering he created most of it. Was this the most talented team Canada? No but they should be playing for a medal with that roster. Not changing up lines that are struggling or can’t find some sort of chemistry is on him. Going 0-16 on the pp like when was the last time Canada had a power play that went that cold? It’s not on Comtois when you have Tippett, glass and frost on the bench for that penalty shot. The guy wouldn’t even answer questions on this or to a very limited way. He talked about accountably, called out certain players and he didn’t hold himself to that same accountability. Certainly not a guy who I’d want to develop young players. Canada is still the best at hockey we just need to get rid of these dinosaurs hockey Canada thinks are good or still relevant, style of hockey has changed we just need a coach who’s willing to change with it.

Reactions: wishywashy19

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Which I think you can attribute to the fact that other countries are producing as much or better talent then they have before. The USA especially, are starting to tap into all the untouched athletes they’ve gained from the rise of hockey in non-traditional states. Making their whole program better as a whole. Naturally having more access to these athletes has allowed them to uncover players they didn’t have even 10 years ago.

The fact of the matter is, every year there is 5 teams that can win gold in any given WJC. Only 4 can make the Semi-Finals. Canada not making it every year really isn’t a big deal, countries are going to have ups and downs. They maybe lost to the Gold Medal winner, this isn’t some kind of epidemic.

As much fun as it was watching Canada steam roll teams at this event for years, it wasn’t a good product. The hockey is better than ever before and I don’t really get why people can’t just accept that. Canada isn’t entitled to a gold medal, the fact they aren’t speaks volumes more to how far the other countries programs have come, then it does the fact that Hockey Canada’s is failing.

Dodo, listen, nobody is saying Canada is entitled to gold

We are saying that hockey Canada needs to change the game. I think hockey Canada needs to make hockey much more affordable for everyone in Canada to play hockey. This has become a game for the elite

Only the wealthy seem to be able to afford the hockey for their kids

So, there is a trend where Canada is producing less quality. It's been happening for many years and I don't see hockey Canada doing anything about it

Yes they are changing the ice size for toddlers but that's not enough

Make hockey affordable for everyone and then we will be able to produce more hockey talent

Reactions: CLW

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
How about getting a decent coaching staff? Hunter should have manned up and took most of the criticism considering he created most of it. Was this the most talented team Canada? No but they should be playing for a medal with that roster. Not changing up lines that are struggling or can’t find some sort of chemistry is on him. Going 0-16 on the pp like when was the last time Canada had a power play that went that cold? It’s not on Comtois when you have Tippett, glass and frost on the bench for that penalty shot. The guy wouldn’t even answer questions on this or to a very limited way. He talked about accountably, called out certain players and he didn’t hold himself to that same accountability. Certainly not a guy who I’d want to develop young players. Canada is still the best at hockey we just need to get rid of these dinosaurs hockey Canada thinks are good or still relevant, style of hockey has changed we just need a coach who’s willing to change with it.
I hope hunter doesn't get a sniff next year

Just awful

He wasn't able to change his lines quickly enough

This is an 8 game mini series and the couch needs to adapt quickly. This is not 80 game season

Hunter shit the bed

Reactions: mackinnon29

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
I hope hunter doesn't get a sniff next year

Just awful

He wasn't able to change his lines quickly enough

This is an 8 game mini series and the couch needs to adapt quickly. This is not 80 game season

Hunter **** the bed

Completely agree! You can’t coach like it’s a 82 game schedule. Good coaches know in a knock out tournament you run with what’s hot and if you don’t have it you keep making changes until you find something.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Well Finland winning gold should ease some of the pain.

I remember last time Finland eliminated us at the quarters and they won gold. We were lost by 1 goal back then too. We could have medaled both times but it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad