PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I wasn't talking about their players...I meant the corporate executives of USA Hockey kicking the execs of Hockey Canada out of the upper platforms of power in the IIHF, and not allowing Canada to hold any position of authority over the sport anymore.

Problem with that...no USA hockey fan has the right to tell me, a fan of Team Canada, what to do. Period.

=P

You get home ice 2 out of every 3 years and when USA last hosted was right on the border so Canadian fans could support their team .Stop crying.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Was at the game. Other than the first 8ish minutes, Finland had the run of the play. If not for Finnish miscues (ie defenders falling down), Canada would have barely had a scoring chance.
Finland outclassed Canada. Yea the bounces went their way as well, but Finland deserved to win.

Reactions: Ojoisten sonni

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
You get home ice 2 out of every 3 years and when USA last hosted was right on the border so Canadian fans could support their team .Stop crying.

Yeah, someone in this thread or another had the numbers: of games between Finland and Canada at the junior level, something like 6 had been played in Finland...and something like 50 in Canada or just south of the border in the USA.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah, someone in this thread or another had the numbers: of games between Finland and Canada at the junior level, something like 6 had been played in Finland...and something like 50 in Canada or just south of the border in the USA.

Its an advantage having home crowd behind you and that is a big gap you just showed in home games for meeting that many times. I get they want stands full and to make money though as well.But I see no reason for that guy posting to suggest it was about USA trying to take it over ,thus was why I made a point to remind him the games are mostly in Canada.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Think I heard earlier today that Canada had been undefeated at home vs. Finland, something like 11-0.

Must've been for knockout games only, since Finland beat them last month in a prelim game before the tourney started.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Canada lost a game, it’s really not the end of the world and doesn’t call for a Hockey Canada summit. It isn’t like Finland is a scrub nation, they were one of the favourites coming into the tournament. Once they lost the Russia game, it was inevitable that they’d a strong team in the Quarter-Finals.

Reactions: Whalers7997

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Quite surprising news really when I woke up. Of course I believed Finland can beat Canada, but usually in playoffs it's nearly unbeatable, especially when the tournament is played in North America. Lots of drama in the match.. Lucky bounce for Finns, failed overtime penalty shot for Canada.. Finland's goalie showed awesome sportsmanship with his gesture to Dipietro. Well done from him.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I agree that usually that's the case but today was just an off-day for Kakko. He wasn't horrible by being liabilty on the ice with turnovers etc but at the same time he couldn't really show anything in the offensive zone. It also looked Canadians didn't give Kakko any extra space and they played hard against him.

People in NA just expect Kakko to show something if they hear talk about him challenging Hughes for 1st overall.

Hey man, any chance you'll be making a shift-by-shift video of Kakko?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Was at the game. Other than the first 8ish minutes, Finland had the run of the play. If not for Finnish miscues (ie defenders falling down), Canada would have barely had a scoring chance.
Finland outclassed Canada. Yea the bounces went their way as well, but Finland deserved to win.

If you listened to Ray Ferraro you'd get the image that Canada was dominating the whole game and Luukkonen's saves were mostly flukes.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Quite surprising news really when I woke up. Of course I believed Finland can beat Canada, but usually in playoffs it's nearly unbeatable, especially when the tournament is played in North America. Lots of drama in the match.. Lucky bounce for Finns, failed overtime penalty shot for Canada.. Finland's goalie showed awesome sportsmanship with his gesture to Dipietro. Well done from him.
I like your reserved tone. I have been thinking Finnland is the next one after Canada for like last two years. The way you built the team basically only from players from Liiga, where someones even decided to come back from NA juniors, is even more immpressive. You are prooving euro model can be very workable. I dont really get why people rank Finnland on 5th spot with its recent achievements on all levels.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
“Hockey Gods will come back and get you. Every time. ” -Don Cherry
I blame the arena DJ for playing 'We will rock you/We are the Champions' with 6 minutes left. Hockey gods don't like cocky... :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t know, it’s a little soon to be rubbing salt in the wound.

I’m sure Dobson wants to be reminded of the play that lost him the game.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Hey man, any chance you'll be making a shift-by-shift video of Kakko?
I'm kind of retired from that business. And I don't think my current computer can handle processing any videos. :laugh: I'm sure others will be making WJC video from Kakko after it's all over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad