PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Eh, the thing about Kakko is that even when he is invisible, he can still contribute just by being such a strong possession player. Tolvanen stole the show on that line today, but Kakko had his moments and kept the pressure in the offensive zone multiple times.
I agree that usually that's the case but today was just an off-day for Kakko. He wasn't horrible by being liabilty on the ice with turnovers etc but at the same time he couldn't really show anything in the offensive zone. It also looked Canadians didn't give Kakko any extra space and they played hard against him.

People in NA just expect Kakko to show something if they hear talk about him challenging Hughes for 1st overall.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is it just me or does it seem like Canada's WJC mystique has waned a bit ever since their streak of 6 straight golds ended?

It was five in a row when John "Capt. America" Carlson ended the streak in the gold medal game of 2010.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Frost
Comtois
Hunter

Karma is real

P.S. comtois’ sélection alone should be investigated then being named captain ——> something fishy going on there

Reactions: Duffman955

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I don't know whether to give Tolvanen credit getting by and creating the goal to tie it or to blame 17 and 24 for letting Tolvanen keep possesion of the puck that looked like to be a nothing play

Reactions: robertmac43

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
"ilk" meaning players like Bill Barber. Claude Lemieux was another notorious faker.
I could go on. It's not really that hard to understand my point that diving is nothing new, and that it is not more prevalent now than before. As I said, it is not the "new way" for both reasons.
so there was no "ilk" after all. Just the usual random names scrounged up from all of hockeys history. And yes the captain of Team Canada diving every game is something new.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
so there was no "ilk" after all. Just the usual random names scrounged up from all of hockeys history. And yes the captain of Team Canada diving every game is something new.
Keep grinding whatever axe it is, for whatever reason.
I'm sure you might yet finish :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS - practice up on your reading comprehension and the relevance of context, and when you have no clue regarding what a word means, consult a dictionary.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They beat us in the pre- tournament and in the actual tournament, disappointing but not surprising. We couldn't finish our chances. Full credit to the Finns.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
One difference, Billy barber dives were to accent a hook or a trip. Not like a sniper got him from the blue seats. Diving to draw a penalty is a lot different than feigning injury. Can’t take players who fake injury. Big difference in my opinion.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I don't know whether to give Tolvanen credit getting by and creating the goal to tie it or to blame 17 and 24 for letting Tolvanen keep possesion of the puck that looked like to be a nothing play
Well it was strong of Tolvanen to protect the puck so he could throw it in but yeah...could probably have defended that.
Tolvanen was good today, Kupari too. Talvitie continues to show the way, he made one risky play in overtime but otherwise excellent.

Reactions: stopclickbait

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I thought Canada was represented well. In general I just want to see players working hard and not trying to cheat or play dirty. This team Canada I can point finger only at Comtois and Bouchard with dives. Comtois going around stirring up crap and then diving, so he is in his own "class" so to speak. The rest of the team did what they could, playing hard and clean. Fell short, but them are the breaks.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
One difference, Billy barber dives were to accent a hook or a trip. Not like a sniper got him from the blue seats. Diving to draw a penalty is a lot different than feigning injury. Can’t take players who fake injury. Big difference in my opinion.

Diving is diving and its shameful. I don't want any of that garbage in hockey.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Hockey Canada has become a dumpster fire. Worst and most inconsistent decade for the juniors ever. For the love of God, please have another open ice summit. I know we can't compete with the USNDP funding, but there's no reason why we should continue to lose like this.
Their junior showings havent been great.

In fairness, with high end kids going to the NHL at younger ages, they are losing players to the NHL a lot faster these days.

In recent years there have been as many as 7 or 8 Canadian kids eligible but playing in the NHL.

The interesting thing is, THIS year its hit Finland, Sweden, and even Switzerland harder than canada. Heiskanen, valimaki, kotkaniemi for Finland, dahlin for Sweden, and his chief for switzerland.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hockey Canada's pride will be its downfall. The "we are the best/we set the standard/we wont learn from others" is starting to show.

As a Canadian viewer who has largely turned off the WJC's in recent years, just generally bored of the TSN media hype machine and celebrity building that goes on with the WJC every Christmas season. Every year before the tournament you see them basically assigning the requisite folk hero spots like they're looking for the next Marc Denis, Manny Legace, Jonathan Toews, Jordan Eberle. Feels extremely manufactured. The road to the gold medal is also extremely formulaic. Steamroll a sacrificial lamb, tune up, scare in the quarter finals, turning point in the semis, gold, etc. (well not every year). Every iteration it feels a little more forced.

The Hockey Canada branding is also something that irks me. Never understood why we started with the black in the colour scheme and then started putting a little gold on everything. A bit presumptuous and arrogant.

Seriously, lose the Hollywood production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad