WJC: Finland 2021 Roster Talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This is correct, Lundell is a Fennoswede, aka Finlandssvensk
I know his father is, but is his mom too? In practice, he's bilingual and seems to have an equally good command of both languages, but I've heard some conflicting reports about which one's "officially" regarded as his first. Not that it makes much of a difference, the takeaway here is anyway that yes, he speaks mycket bra svenska.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Perhaps this has been answered before here, but why are Aatu Raty and Patrik Puistola not playing for Finland?

I assume the reasons are performamce-based, but its definitely odd for a team's leading scorer from the last year, and a top prospect who played last year, to not make the team.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Perhaps this has been answered before here, but why are Aatu Raty and Patrik Puistola not playing for Finland?

I assume the reasons are performamce-based, but its definitely odd for a team's leading scorer from the last year, and a top prospect who played last year, to not make the team.
Didn't play well enough in Liiga, so performance yes.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I know his father is, but is his mom too? In practice, he's bilingual and seems to have an equally good command of both languages, but I've heard some conflicting reports about which one's "officially" regarded as his first. Not that it makes much of a difference, the takeaway here is anyway that yes, he speaks mycket bra svenska.

Official first language pretty much just means which school his parents wanted to send him to. You don’t need to know a single word in Swedish/Finnish to pick them as your official language.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Official first language pretty much just means which school his parents wanted to send him to. You don’t need to know a single word in Swedish/Finnish to pick them as your official language.
I know. Like I said already, it doesn't make much of a difference.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Veeti Miettinen is tearing up the NCAA right now. As a Leafs fan it really sucks to not see him playing at the WJC. I feel like he's the game-breaking talent Finland really lacks to help keep up with teams like Canada/ USA. Lundell has been a monster but outside of him and maybe Lambert, there isn't too many players on the team that can go out there on any given shift and do damage consistently offensively.

Viljuri

Dec 30, 2020
This isn't something to celebrate to, but the Finnish team should draw conclusion about this game:

Anton Lundell and Brad Lambert are known names, among others, but you should make sure that your names aren't mismangled as much as in this broadcast. It's up to yours to make this happen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Anton Lundell and Brad Lambert are known names, among others, but you should make sure that your names aren't mismangled as much as in this broadcast. It's up to yours to make this happen.
Hang on. So what you're saying is that the management of Team Finland shouldn't pick players based on talent, but how easy American TV commentators find spelling their names? Well, I suppose they would find it very considerate.

Reactions: mattihp

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't bother to translate this shit (if someone is kind enough to translate, thanks)
Onko Nuoret Leijonat aito MM-kultaehdokas? Petteri Sihvonen: "Puhutaan suuresta ihmeestä"

---

Always hated Sihvonen, hate his annoying voice, his face, dude knows very little of hockey
is probably the worst Finnish sports journalist that there is, so his opinions weigh very little to me but still...
this kind of shit still pisses me off

Sure, he praises few of our players and all in this one but still..dude is a major D-BAG,
who doesn't know shit.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Mikko Petman the evil big and bearded Finn-one of Lukko Rauma fame will join the forces in Finlands first front-line against the McDonalds big burgers o' USA - the land of milk and honey - in the semifinal. ZZ Top. Instead of the rather lightweight Kasper Simontaival. Who only got some spare minutes in the third period last game around.

That's the meny USA in this game ...

Way to go coach Antti Pennanen. 'eavy stuff.

Kick it Finland.

ZZ Top on the top line. And rather nice so.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Yes indeed we can be very proud of our Young Lions, they grew a lot through out the tournament. They showed lot of character in high pressure games. We better than USA but sometimes hockey ain't fair, we get this next year. But i hope they finish the tournament strong, leave it all on the ice.

Remember the words of Marja-Liisa Kirvesniemi, what she said to the men's team in Lillehammer 1994.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
It was a definitely a winnable game, but I am not very disappointed. Team improved a lot when games got tougher, after a Canada game that looked disastrous they had strong performances against Sweden and USA. Keep up that same energy and bronze is in sight.

I like how aggressive the coach has been in benching players: Lambert suddenly became much better defensively after getting benched and Simontaival scored 2 after being demoted to fourth line. The top lines got better when grinder type players were shuffled in with the skill guys.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Finland you impressed me and good on you for the fantastic game against the USA.

You deserved to win that.

I am rooting for you to bring home the bronze!

Bronze game is whatever but they surely deserved a better outcome. Great team with great coaching, Finland has proven time and time again that you can win even without the absolute top talent and they followed the same recipe here as well, just came a little short this time around. Give us a Zegras to work our PP and there's no stopping this team, except for Canada who can roll four lines all of which would be the top line on any other team. It's scary.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Finland did win three gold medals last decade but no other medals since 2006 when Rask helped Finns to bronze. Time to change that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hang on. So what you're saying is that the management of Team Finland shouldn't pick players based on talent, but how easy American TV commentators find spelling their names? Well, I suppose they would find it very considerate.
So fantastic
This isn't something to celebrate to, but the Finnish team should draw conclusion about this game:

Meh, pronounciations are still closer to the names swedes call the finnish players... I remember the Elitserien game (EA NHL Hack) for Sega Mega drive, the names were not even spelled correctly there :D

Kai Nurminen was Kaj Norminen etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Regularly root for the Finns on the international stage because of events like yesterday's game - the determination and grit in all situations is one of the joys of this sport. Best of luck in the bronze medal game and continued success internationally.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Imagine if this Finnish organization would´ve had Aatu, Mie... Nah, just kidding. The last goal against USA was easy, unfortunately. This team played really well and i actually do believe Finland would have been the only country, based off the performances in playoffs, to have a chance against Canada in the finals. Finland kept on coming and everyone, or almost everyone performed. A bit disappointed at Piiroinen. He was not bad by any means, but there was no game winning goaltending in this particular game. US feels a bit more uneven with their system with Zegras and Beniers doing a whole lot, very impressed by Beniers in this tournament. Then you got Kaliyev, a light version of Laine, very light but still. If you give him those chances it's likely he will score, heck he scored the exact same goal against Finland in the prelims.
With that said, I have a feeling that we will loose the bronze only because of Russia will need to fight for their pride after being steamrolled by Canada. Finland were so close yesterday so I have a feeling this could be a psychological thing.
Hats of for the young lions, you can be very proud of your game and effort!

Heinola and Niemelä has been something else, just wow. I get that people are talking about Byram and Drysdale but their whole team is stacked.
Heinola just amazes me, when he's at his best he's as close to perfect as you can be as a junior. Just seems like no opponent can shake him, everything goes in slow motion for him and he takes it with ease. This kid has something going on with his mental game, he's so focused and present, calm and collected. He creates and there is something optimistic about his mindset, never stops down and always believes he can fool his opponent and does it very often. I knew he was good but this year he has impressed me even more. He has been outstanding. Heinola is no future top 2 or 4 for the Jets, he is and should be their number 1 for a long time. He just kept on getting better the whole tournament being a beast against Sweden and more than good against the US. Excited to see what the futures holds for him and what he can accomplish with fellow finns in Laine, Nikkanen, Niku, Vesalainen and etc in the Jets organization.
Jets, Canes and the Panthers will be a lot of fun for us Finns to follow these coming years.
Niemelä then? I´m so looking forward to see him next year as well. What a D! Him eating minutes in the next years playoffs with Lambert winging Aatu Räty or vice versa or even a double punch centerline. Really exciting! Especially if Blomqvist can develop as well, fun!
Lundell then? That guy will be the second center behind Barkov in the Panthers organization, give him one or two years tops and he will be one of the best second centers in the league, if not the best. He is just like Heinola and Niemelä in that way that they make it really difficult to discover their weaknesses because they are already so allround, and that there amazes me a lot about these three, they seem to play like masters of the game just like the best seniors at this young age. So fun to follow them and their continuing careers.
Last but not least, Lambert. He's a joy to watch, like a hybrid of Necas and McDavid for me. He just flies out there and he will grow and become a force to reckon with next year.
Helenius looked so pissed at the end, very understandable. I have a feeling he will become a great fourth line center in the NHL one day.

Karhukissa, I guess your sensitive ass was wrong about us taking the gold medal ;) Only joking and busting your balls.

Tough, tough loss but this will make these players strong in the future! Good job guys!

Last edited:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
What a TEAM, the ultimate comeback machine with high character and never surrender mentality. Other countrys have better individuals, but Finland is always the best TEAM in the tournament.

So proud of this team, great group of kids and best European team in the tournament(again).

Congrats and thank you boys for this bronze medal. There's never too many medals.

Koskenkorva time!

Reactions: king89 and MarVell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad