WJC: Finland 2021 Roster Talk

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously I’m biased as a Leafs fan, but anyone else think it’s weird that Viro is getting more ice time than Niemela? Niemela is sooo good on breakouts, clean exits almost every time he touches the puck, and solid all over the ice, he just seems better than Viro to me. I’d like to see Kokkonen/Niemela as the 2nd pair, getting heavy minutes, and Viro/Puutio as the bottom pair, getting more sheltered minutes.

Do Finnish fans see it a similar way? Or am I seeing things wrong through Leafs-coloured glasses?

Reactions: Ippenator

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Obviously I’m biased as a Leafs fan, but anyone else think it’s weird that Viro is getting more ice time than Niemela? Niemela is sooo good on breakouts, clean exits almost every time he touches the puck, and solid all over the ice, he just seems better than Viro to me. I’d like to see Kokkonen/Niemela as the 2nd pair, getting heavy minutes, and Viro/Puutio as the bottom pair, getting more sheltered minutes.

Do Finnish fans see it a similar way? Or am I seeing things wrong through Leafs-coloured glasses?
I have no clue, Viro has been one of the worst defenders on the team if not the worst, 3/4 of the team are out to lunch and the coach seems to be aswell.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I have no clue, Viro has been one of the worst defenders on the team if not the worst, 3/4 of the team are out to lunch and the coach seems to be aswell.
Seems a little harsh on the team overall. They had some issues against Germany, but I thought they looked good today. Switzerland are unspectacular, but a decent/competitive team, and Finland completely dominated the game, much more 1-sided than the 4-1 score would suggest. I expect Finland will beat Slovakia soundly, and finish top 2 in group A (it's an easy group, but that's good regardless).

I do agree though that Viro has been shakey, don't see why he's getting 3D minutes when there seem to be better options. And Lundell only getting 16-17 mpg is weird too, he's the clear best forward on the team, if I was Pennanen I'd be giving him more like 19-20 mpg.

Last edited:

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Seems a little harsh on the team overall. They had some issues against Germany, but I thought they looked good today. Switzerland are unspectacular, but a decent/competitive team, and Finland completely dominated the game, much more 1-sided than the 4-1 score would suggest. I expect Finland will beat Slovakia soundly, and finish top 2 in group A (it's an easy group, but that's good regardless).

I do agree though that Viro has been shakey, don't see why he's getting 3D minutes when there seem to be better options. And Lundell only getting 16-17 mpg is weird too, he's the clear best forward on the team, if I was Pennanen I'd be giving him more like 19-20 mpg.
I agree with you. Niemelä should definitely play more than Viro. But no need to give too much time to lundell and other key players these games.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I agree with you. Niemelä should definitely play more than Viro. But no need to give too much time to lundell and other key players these games.

Agreed. No point wasting Lundells energy before the big games. That will be more than needed further down the road.
The thing is, not only was Niemelä good against Germany, but in all fairness it's also because of Viros performances has been underwhelming.

And these damn penalties! That kind of nonchalance will bite us in the *ss when the stakes are high.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I just keep circling back to Puistola not making the team as I'm watching that 2nd line struggle. Especially Järventie.

I will be looking at this as a huge team selection flop if they dont get it together before the big games.

Last edited:

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Would be nice to face you in QF, there is no better matchup. One of the biggest rivalries if not the biggest in Europe.
The biggest in Europe, no doubt about it. Back in the day Czech vs Russia maybe but nowadays FIN vs SWE for sure.

Also about the game yesterday, i'm very happy about what i saw. This is exactly how you need to play against the underdogs, dominate the game and set the pace. Perfect rehearsal for the Canada game, i have 100% faith for Pennanen (sorry Svedu) and players.

Järventie has been a big disappointment so far, i hope he get's his head together and plays as well as he can. Hatakka&Heinola is probably one of the best D-pair's i've seen in the recent history of our U20 team, excited to see how they'll play against Canada.

Reactions: hn777

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I just keep circling back to Puistola not making the team as I'm watching that 2nd line struggle. Especially Järventie.

I will be looking at this as a huge team selection flop if they dont get it together before the big games.

Pasi Puistola - his father - was the smoothest skater in his heyday in HV 71 (Jönköping, Sweden) I've ever seen. The first Finland born captain in the team (when Johan Davidsson was away). And a real humble guy all over. Too bad too sad his son didn't make the Finland team:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Hmm... Not only is Pennanen controversial with his selections. He even benched Lambert. Can you (Karhukissa) please explain how this performance was acceptable? What is Pennanen trying to achieve with his tactics? I really don't have a clue. Only thing I know is he left, or actually robbed talents from their opportunity and Team Finlands chances to succeed.

We should be glad it only got up to four.

Give me something else than a cliche please "Ah, no it is like it is and there is nothing you can do about it".
Just admit it, this far this team has looked like s*it and there is no way around it. One great period, the second one, against Slovakia and the third period was decent. So all in all, one or two good periods?
If Pennanen can't turn around this against Sweden he should get fired. Because then he has failed in every aspect. Let's hope he has something to show up.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
They need to switch up lines and give Lundell someone dynamic such as Lambert! As of now, they’re in for a tough game and they need to freaking score

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Pennanen can't do anything else bench at least Roby Järventie.
That bust hasn't done jack-shit in entire tournament so far.

Järventie has continued on that where Lassi Thomson finished last year.
That's why i hope when Roby boy gets back home his father Martti
gives his older son painful and extremely hard spank.
That's all Roby really deserves of his atrocious play.

Good luck for Ottawa Senators to try develop that Roby named clown to even passable NHL player.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Pennanen seems to have zero clue of what he's doing so don't expect anything.

Yeah.
Pennanen doesn't look next Finnish men's national team head coach.
Finland was in the mangle 40 minutes and what our head coach does yeah ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

No timeout absolutely nothing attempts to even try wake up the team.
Who ever is coming quarterfinals with us i really hope this miserable farce
ends Saturday morning / night.

I really can't watch this bullshit hockey any further after Saturday.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Sweden will beat us, 6-1. Of course I hope I´m wrong because if we loose I´ll loose my excitement as well. If Sweden plays like they played against Russia we can call it a day.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Or the other way around? In what way has Finland impressed more than Sweden so far?
Both teams are coming off stinkers. Someone will get a measure of redemption, but the loser of this game is going to face a lot of tough questions back home.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad