WJC: Finland 2021 Roster Talk

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Or the other way around? In what way has Finland impressed more than Sweden so far?
Canada is a better team then US. And Finland is Finland. I dont care to much about this tournament. Just fun to watch future stars. But Sweden vs Finland is always the game i look most forward to.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Hirvonen, please take your chances tonight. Score for heavens sake and don't miss a open net. Järventie, just wake up already? And to the low liners that Pennanen stubbornly selected, please skate your hearts out because that is the only chance you got to make an impact and win this game tonight.

Reactions: Gsus

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Let's hope for another heroic sisu showing

upload_2021-1-2_18-8-56.png

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Why Jarventi didn’nt get more ice time or PP duty, hes a good shooter and having a good season in liiga

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I don't know why, but that Helenius 2+10 was a turning point for us.

Everything went our way after that moment.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
P gang was awful against the Swedes. Puutio, Petman...Puhakka, Pyyhtiä etc etc. Scratch every skater whose name starts with a P just to be sure.

There might be some collateral damage but net-net this would be a major improvement.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I had a feeling that Hirvonen would do something important in this game. Good that we will return next year. Tonight we celebrate!

Reactions: LeafChief

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m still waiting to see Lambert next to Lundell. Maybe this game woke up Hirvonen but, in general, Lundell’s linemates haven’t played well: get this guy some elite help and watch him go!

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I’m still waiting to see Lambert next to Lundell. Maybe this game woke up Hirvonen but, in general, Lundell’s linemates haven’t played well: get this guy some elite help and watch him go!
I don't think that would help Lundell at all. Lambert's skills are absolutely elite so he belongs in the team, but at this point his team and off-puck play are still a year or two away from WJC level. It's pretty unfortunate but with Kakko in NHL, there is no top forwards in this age group for Lundell to work with. Puistola and Aa. Räty were the two I had high hopes for a year ago but that didnt exactly work out :ha:

Next year looks to have more forward depth with a bunch of returning players: Aa. Räty, Lambert, Helenius, Hirvonen and Simontaival. Oh and Järventie too. He has been a flop this year but gotta remember he is barely 18.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't think that would help Lundell at all. Lambert's skills are absolutely elite so he belongs in there, but at this point his team and off-puck play are still a year or two away from WJC level. It's pretty unfortunate but with Kakko in NHL, there is no top forwards in this age group for Lundell to work with. Puistola and Aa. Räty were the two I had high hopes for a year ago but that didnt exactly work out :ha:

Next year looks to have more depth with a bunch of players returning Aa. Räty, Lambert, Helenius, Hirvonen and Simontaival. Oh and Järventie too. He has been a flop this year but gotta remember he is barely 18.
You’re right off the puck but I wish there was someone that had the ability to put the puck away: I’ve counted three or four times where Lundell is made a sick play but his linemates bungled a likely goal.

The Finns have a nice future but this is Lundell’s last chance :(

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Hirvonen, please take your chances tonight. Score for heavens sake and don't miss a open net. Järventie, just wake up already? And to the low liners that Pennanen stubbornly selected, please skate your hearts out because that is the only chance you got to make an impact and win this game tonight.

Someone saw the script before the game?:DD

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
You’re right off the puck but I wish there was someone that had the ability to put the puck away: I’ve counted three or four times where Lundell is made a sick play but his linemates bungled a likely goal.

The Finns have a nice future but this is Lundell’s last chance :(
Yep. Meanwhile last years top scorer Puistola is just chilling in Finland, and Veeti Miettinen scoring really well NCAA. Really feel like management is to blame for this situation. Looks like they just put all their stocks on Järventie being the triggerman, and filled the bottom 6 and 13. forward with role players. Now with Järventie not being what they expected, we are here looking at Petman in 1st line (who actually did look good, but just simply isnt a scorer)

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep. Meanwhile last years top scorer Puistola is just chilling in Finland, and Veeti Miettinen scoring really well NCAA. Really feel like management is to blame for this situation. Looks like they just put all their stocks on Järventie being the triggerman, and filled the bottom 6 and 13. forward with role players. Now with Järventie not being what they expected, we are here looking at Petman in 1st line (who actually did look good, but just simply isnt a scorer)
Some wuestionable calls to say the least but you’re into the next round after beating a touch Sweden.

I think the Coach should have experimented a bit more to be honest in his group: I wish we had a period to see what Lambert and Lundell looked together or even some other creative combinations!

Reactions: Ippenator

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Lambert has been one of our best players with the puck throughout the tournament, so if there comes a time where we gotta put all the eggs in the same basket, I definately would like to see the two L's together.

I doubt Lambert's conditioning and physicality is at the level where he can play top line minutes every game in a tournament of this level but I think his game yesterday, and in fact throughout the tournament, has earned him the opportunity to get some ice-time with the best players of the team.

Reactions: Past Considerations

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Fact is that even if there were 2 Puistola's and Räty's we would've lost to Canada. It's all about the process and growing when tournament goes on. How many time's we've seen terrible games during group stage and then team learns from it and evolves.

These kind of wins like we saw yesterday are the best ones to get this team fully together and find that final gear. It's not a coincidence that Pennanen has won both Liiga and WHC as an extreme underdog, he's not a flawless coach and has made mistakes during this tournament but i doubt there are any better coaches to get this team fired up.

Like he said in the post game interview, he gave team positive aggression and with captains he pumped this team with confidence and what we saw after that terrible 1st period wasn't just Sweden being bad. You measure your team when everything is on the line, not during "meaningless" group stage games.

I guarantee that we're going to see better Finland right off the start against the USA but whether it's enough comes down to so many factors. I just hope that we stay more positive, i understand frustration but it's extremely annoying to read that "Oh Räty/Puistola and god knows who should be there" after being 1-0 down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad