WJC: Finland 2020 Roster Talk

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
What can you say about Sharks draft pick Hatakka? I'm assuming some players will be cut from the final roster, what are his chances of making the team?

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
What can you say about Sharks draft pick Hatakka? I'm assuming some players will be cut from the final roster, what are his chances of making the team?
It depends if they play with 8 D:s or 7. I think Hatakka, Kokkonen and Seppälä are the three defenders at risk of being cut.

Pretty even between them but it depends on what Helminen wants. I would rank them:

Kokkonen
Seppälä
Hatakka

But time will tell who makes it and who doesn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
It depends if they play with 8 D:s or 7. I think Hatakka, Kokkonen and Seppälä are the three defenders at risk of being cut.
The roster size is only 20 skaters, so it is almost given that it's going to be 13 forwards and 7 defensemen.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
The roster size is only 20 skaters, so it is almost given that it's going to be 13 forwards and 7 defensemen.
Most probably it will be 7 defensemen and 13 to have an extra player in each positions. But Finland have sometimes had 8 defensemen or other weird constellations so I’m not gonna make any more guesses before I see the final roster.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

I am so pissed. I was expecting big things from Kivenmäki. This sucks.

What kind of roster will this be? No Lundell, Kivenmäki nor Mäntykivi. This team will not have enough strength or depth when attacking, neither wingers or centers are good enough for medals. Mark my words. This roster can end up as second, or if lucky first in the group stage, but afterwards it will all be over. Not that easy to play so well two years in a row and the biggest factor for my disbelief in success is the fact that the other group will have four good teams advancing. Czechs are the home team and a bit underrated. Germany has never had this kind of a roster at youth levels. Russia is better this year, Canada as well and US are perhaps the biggest favorites.

Let´s sum it up: Lundell, Nordgren, Kallionkieli, Nikkanen, Puistola have all had injuries. Some are not available and some will probably not be in their best form because of their bad luck. Then you have some questionable picks from Raipe.
No Leevi Aaltonen when the ice is bigger in Europe and you can have a Pihlström kind of a guy on the checking line.
No Rindell even if he has a better season than Niemelä so far and when nobody plays as risky as Honka often does. Even if i´m not mad at the choice to not include Tuomisto because he is playing with juniors and was a disappointment at the WJC-18, as many others, but we can´t deny his decent production as a D.
I always thought Tanus is a decent fourth line center, good team player etc, but i´ve heard some issues with his skating and he´s not the biggest guy out there.
No Hirvonen either, which is kind of a surprise if Raipe has sent Kivenmäki back to Pori. I would almost have wanted to see if Hirvonen and Veeti Miettinen could of have been a decent line because of their earlier chemistry at Esbo.
We would of needed Kotkaniemi and i can´t understand why Montreal doesn't want to boost his confidence because his performances has been underwhelming this year.

What ever happened to Myllylä? I saw a potential checking line player in him. Saw him couple of years ago and he seemed to have a good motor and had a decent shot. Perhaps he should leave HIFK for further development? Because they will have Lambert etc coming up soon. Well, when i already have named him? I´m not at all convinced when seeing this roster. Why did they not give Lambert a chance already? Speedy line with Räty brothers would have been more than interesting. I saw Lamberts games at the WHC-17´s and he was on another level than the rest. He tried too much on his own perhaps , but then again no one was or is on his level.
One last thing, why have the Jämsen brothers never been invited to anything? I mean they (In this case Juuso) have qualifying production to at least get an invitation to some kind of a camp or am i just wrong here?

No, hold your horses guys. We are a big outsider this year and nothing more. The biggest contenders are in the other group and i believe Sweden has a stronger roster on paper as well.
Mostly because of all serious injuries for leading Finnish players this year, second of all not enough depth or elite talent perhaps. Lastly, i´m not sure Raipe is capable of managing a some what weaker roster to any major upsets.

Have a nice evening lads and excuse me for the long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well, Maccelli needs to be on the same level as Teräväinen, Laine and Aho was and that is a tough role to fill. The D´s and Annunen needs to play their best games ever to carry this team as well.
So Mr. Panda, can you please list our centers in this years WJC? Because i´m getting confused, which four will it be?

Am i being negative? Or do you mean that the general opinion of the Finnish fans are usually negative? I´m just trying to be realistic, and to demand this roster will be successful is just unfair in my opinion. Let´s just hope for good things and nothing more.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Kupari
Tanus
Raty
Pettman

is fine center depth for u20 whc squad. It's all about chemistry now.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Kivenmäki scored Ässäts second goal and Nikkanen has one assist.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Kupari
Tanus
Raty
Pettman

is fine center depth for u20 whc squad. It's all about chemistry now.

Kupari, great first center. Räty great third center this year? Or is he already good enough to fill the second role? Because i´m not sure Tanus is a second line center if that is what you are proposing here?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Am i being negative? Or do you mean that the general opinion of the Finnish fans are usually negative? I´m just trying to be realistic, and to demand this roster will be successful is just unfair in my opinion. Let´s just hope for good things and nothing more.
I meant I was so negative last year that I made 2020 thread early when it looked like we won't go far. We ended up winning the whole tournament.

I didn't mean everything, just some posts and I didn't mean its a bad thing to have feet on the ground and having realistic opinions.

Kupari, Aatu Räty, Ranta and Tanus maybe?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I meant I was so negative last year that I made 2020 thread early when it looked like we won't go far. We ended up winning the whole tournament.

I didn't mean everything, just some posts and I didn't mean its a bad thing to have feet on the ground and having realistic opinions.

Kupari, Aatu Räty, Ranta and Tanus maybe?

Well, i´m not sure Ranta is thought to play center. I agree regarding the other three. I´m a bit surprised Nikkanen was not selected to fight for a spot, or has his development took a big turn after all those injury problems?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What kind of roster will this be? No Lundell, Kivenmäki nor Mäntykivi. This team will not have enough strength or depth when attacking, neither wingers or centers are good enough for medals. Mark my words. This roster can end up as second, or if lucky first in the group stage, but afterwards it will all be over. Not that easy to play so well two years in a row and the biggest factor for my disbelief in success is the fact that the other group will have four good teams advancing. Czechs are the home team and a bit underrated. Germany has never had this kind of a roster at youth levels. Russia is better this year, Canada as well and US are perhaps the biggest favorites.

Let´s sum it up: Lundell, Nordgren, Kallionkieli, Nikkanen, Puistola have all had injuries. Some are not available and some will probably not be in their best form because of their bad luck. Then you have some questionable picks from Raipe.
No Leevi Aaltonen when the ice is bigger in Europe and you can have a Pihlström kind of a guy on the checking line.
No Rindell even if he has a better season than Niemelä so far and when nobody plays as risky as Honka often does. Even if i´m not mad at the choice to not include Tuomisto because he is playing with juniors and was a disappointment at the WJC-18, as many others, but we can´t deny his decent production as a D.
I always thought Tanus is a decent fourth line center, good team player etc, but i´ve heard some issues with his skating and he´s not the biggest guy out there.
No Hirvonen either, which is kind of a surprise if Raipe has sent Kivenmäki back to Pori. I would almost have wanted to see if Hirvonen and Veeti Miettinen could of have been a decent line because of their earlier chemistry at Esbo.
We would of needed Kotkaniemi and i can´t understand why Montreal doesn't want to boost his confidence because his performances has been underwhelming this year.

What ever happened to Myllylä? I saw a potential checking line player in him. Saw him couple of years ago and he seemed to have a good motor and had a decent shot. Perhaps he should leave HIFK for further development? Because they will have Lambert etc coming up soon. Well, when i already have named him? I´m not at all convinced when seeing this roster. Why did they not give Lambert a chance already? Speedy line with Räty brothers would have been more than interesting. I saw Lamberts games at the WHC-17´s and he was on another level than the rest. He tried too much on his own perhaps , but then again no one was or is on his level.
One last thing, why have the Jämsen brothers never been invited to anything? I mean they (In this case Juuso) have qualifying production to at least get an invitation to some kind of a camp or am i just wrong here?

No, hold your horses guys. We are a big outsider this year and nothing more. The biggest contenders are in the other group and i believe Sweden has a stronger roster on paper as well.
Mostly because of all serious injuries for leading Finnish players this year, second of all not enough depth or elite talent perhaps. Lastly, i´m not sure Raipe is capable of managing a some what weaker roster to any major upsets.

Have a nice evening lads and excuse me for the long post.

Calm-down and chill dude before your blood-pressure rises dangerous level.
I don't know what's the case about Wiljami Myllylä.
But he's born 2001 so he can play U20 WJC's next year.

Kotkaniemi is injured ( concussion ) that's why Montreal didn't release him to U20 WJC's.
Yes Finland's U20 WJC roster this year is no that good
so we have to play with those guys who we have.

I don't have medal expectations this year.
But if this Finland's U20 WJC team makes quarterfinals that's OK result.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Kotkaniemi is injured ( concussion ) that's why Montreal didn't release him to U20 WJC's.

That is setting a ridiculously low bar. You have to beat Kazakhstan to play a quarter final.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

At least next year's team should be strong if this team fails. A lot depends this year if Räty brothers can be difference makers.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

Haha, no worries mate, but thanks. I´m a distance runner so my blood pressure and heart rate are quite low.

I had some hopes for Myllylä but i´m not even sure he´ll make it next year either because we have to realize that the depth could and should be even bigger next year and right now Myllylä should be considered as just that, a depth player.
Potential forwards for next years roster: Aaltonen, Järventie, Lambert, Hirvonen, Miettinen, Intonen, Petman, Puistola, Räty, Räty, Saarela, Simontaival, Nikkanen, Mäntykivi, Pärssinen, Tieksola, Kallionkieli, Kiviniemi, Mäenpää, Puhakka, Suni, Määttä, Liukas,

Jep, its clear. Even if that elite talent will probably lay on Räty and Lambert next year, the depth will be even bigger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad