Finland @ 2016 World Cup / 2018 Olympics

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Is this supposed to be a 2016 or -18 squad? Looks somewhat more like the latter.

More 2018 one, but could happen 2016 too. Armia and pulu are really close, Ma Granlund is very strongly in NHL already. If they and Teräväinen use their chance when they get it, it could be 2016.

Edit:

And Kapanen. But he was also really close, made it untill the last drops in training camp for pens.. good amount of points ect too in NHL preseason, now good showings in Lyyga.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
More 2018 one, but could happen 2016 too. Armia and pulu are really close, Ma Granlund is very strongly in NHL already. If they and Teräväinen use their chance when they get it, it could be 2016.
I agree, all those names have great chances to be regulars in a season and a half's time. What mostly piqued my curiosity was the inclusion of Palola when we still have Korpikoski and Ruutu of whom at least one or the other should still be there by then. 2018 could be a different story.

And Kapanen. But he was also really close, made it untill the last drops in training camp for pens.. good amount of points ect too in NHL preseason, now good showings in Lyyga.
The Pens having him up there was mostly because of cap shenanigans though. But I guess he has a shot of making it out the gates regardless, come next season. Still consider him far more likely for 2018 though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

This.

Hietanen is about the same size as Vatanen but only one of them is an NHL level player. Hietanen was in all sorts of trouble against the big NHL players at Sotshi and at Worlds as well. He doesn't bring with him the offensive tools Vatanen can.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Hietanen was in all sorts of trouble against the big NHL players at Sotshi and at Worlds as well. He doesn't bring with him the offensive tools Vatanen can.

I red this post second time now and I must comment on this now. Vatanen is better with the puck, than Hietanen is. That is something, that cant be argued, but Hietanen actually did really well against the best teams in olympics and he really convinced me and many others, that he can play in that second pairing right shooting role at the best level of hockey. He gave nice hits and showed he can play physical hockey. His play with the puck was at very good level.
Hietanen is a smart player and by doing right things, positioning him self well, passing the puck well, seeing the ice well, he is among the top finnish defenders. If Finland has two smallish offencive defenders, they will be Vatanen and Hietanen for sure.
At this point I would definetely chose Vatanen, Määttä, Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen, Väänänen and Ristolainen for the 2016 World Cup.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hietanen is a smart player and by doing right things, positioning him self well, passing the puck well, seeing the ice well, he is among the top finnish defenders.
On the big ice, this is an easy assessment to agree with.

The World Cup, however, will not be on big ice. So Hietanen is very much an unknown quality as far as it concerns said tournament. If we're lacking NHL regulars by the end of 2015-16 season, I'd be willing to take a chance with him. With luck however, we'll have either Pokka, Honka or both in the Show by then, making Hietanen a piece we don't need.

I know you said "at this point", but it's still a good thing to note how things appear to be looking up for us. Besides Pokka and Honka, we also have Lindbohm and Jokipakka making a breakthrough, who in turn can make Väänänen and/or Kukkonen obsolete.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
No Euro's at the World Cup. Well we actually have to take young players instead the same old Kukkonen, Lepistö, Hietanen, Väänänen, Pihlström, Kontiola, Immonen and Aaltonen

Filppula-Barkov-Armia
JJokinen-Koivu-Teräväinen
Lehterä-Mi.Granlund-Pulkkinen
Komarov-Ma.Granlund-Pakarinen
Haula

Määttä-Ristolainen
Jokipakka-Vatanen
Lindell-Pokka
Lindbohm-Honka

Rinne
Rask

Too bad we have no scoring wingers, just playmaking centers :D

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No Euro's at the World Cup. Well we actually have to take young players instead the same old Kukkonen, Lepistö, Hietanen, Väänänen, Pihlström, Kontiola, Immonen and Aaltonen.
Kids, we have the entire Internet before us to fact-check things. Therefore, before making statements like this, why don't we examine first what was actually being said?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750156

All North American players in the tournament are expected to either be NHL players or at the very least NHL-drafted prospects. There is no rule that restricts federations from sending players who are not NHL players.

I fully expect them to take every viable regular NHL option available by then. But nope, they won't go digging around the minors when that well runs dry. Some of the "same old" will still be there.

It's a 23-man roster with 3 goalies, so most likely 13+7. All 13 forwards should most likely be NHLers. But unless Pokka and Honka fast track, the projection is five regular d-men in the league by the end of 2015-16 season. So I'd say at least Lepistö and one stay-at-home veteran like Väänänen/Kukkonen will make the cut. And even if we do have seven guys pulling somewhat regular minutes by the time, it would be quite unlikely for 'em to go with a defense completely made up of the kids. Oldest would be Vatanen, barely 25 at the time.

Last edited:

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
The Hockey News published what Team Finland would look like in their minds in 2016 World Cup:

Goalies:

Tuukka Rask, Pekka Rinne, Kari Lehtonen.

D-Men:

Rasmus Ristolainen, Olli Määttä, Sami Vatanen, Kimmo Timonen, Ossi Väänänen, Juuso Hietanen, Julius Honka, Ville Pokka.

Forwards:

Jussi Jokinen, Lauri Korpikoski, Leo Komarov, Tuomo Ruutu, Mikko Koivu, Valtteri Filppula, Aleksander Barkov, Jori Lehterä, Erik Haula, Mikael Granlund, Sean Bergenheim, Teuvo Teräväinen, Petri Kontiola, Kasperi Kapanen.

The bolded ones are in my opinion the biggest head scrathers.

Timonen already said he's going to retire after this year.
Ossi Väänänen is useless in couple of years.
Ruutu is useless now.
Kontiola can't do **** in NA rink.
Kapanen sucks in Finnish jersey.
Not sure about Pokka and Honka but let's hope for the best.
Here's the full link:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015013019114463_jk.shtml

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Mi. Granlund - Barkov - Armia
Filppula A - Lehterä - Pulkkinen
Jokinen - Koivu C - Teräväinen
Bergenheim - Haula - Komarov A
Korpikoski

Määttä - Vatanen
Lindbohm - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Pokka
Lindell

Rinne
Rask
Ortio

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The Hockey News published what Team Finland would look like in their minds in 2016 World Cup
Typical cluelessness from North American hockey writers.

Timonen... yeah, already said he's done with the NT. And if that's not enough he'll most likely be retired by that time... if he technically isn't already.

I actually figure one of Väänänen/Kukkonen does have a slim shot, if they still play. We do have nice stay-at-home guys developing in Lindbohm and Jokipakka, but it's anybody's guess if whoever's coaching us at the time (presumably still KJ) wants to go with an all-kiddie defense.

Ruutu I can see fitting into bottom-six. Not by default but he'll definitely be in the bubble.

Kontiola... what the hell has that writer been smoking? :laugh: I admit, he figured into my projections a while back, but no way he's gonna make it after that failed Toronto excursion. Koivu, Granlund x2, Barkov, Lehterä, Filppula, Teräväinen... one thing we're not hurting for are highly usable NHL centermen. I guess the writer figured "Finns always pick some Euro guys, who do they have.... right, him."

Kapanen, heh. He's not a long shot due to being sucky in NT, but I don't really seem him breaking the Pens roster like that come next season. Why don't we try Pulkkinen or Armia in his stead, who are most likely league regulars by then.

If Pokka and Honka fast-track to the show, why not. But even more bizarre choice than them is Hietanen, who has zero experience from NHL-sized rink. Must be another one of those "throw some Euros into mix" guesses. If one has to, let's at least try Lepistö instead. What makes the choice even more bizarre is that if we indeed have Vatanen, Honka and Pokka in the same squad, Hietanen certainly won't bring anything extra compared to them. Save for maybe some experience.

Right now I'd say we're looking at something like this, without taking too optimistic view:

Rask
Rinne
Whoever

Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Jokipakka
Pokka/Honka/Kukkonen/Väänänen/some other euro choice if one rises to occasion

Mi.Granlund - Lehterä - Pulkkinen
Filppula - Koivu - J.Jokinen
Bergenheim - Barkov - Armia
Komarov - Haula - Korpikoski
Teräväinen

Not bad, especially for an exhibition event.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
filppula - barkov - armia
teräväinen - lehterä - jokinen
mag - mig - pulkkinen
komarov - koivu - korpikoski
bergenheim/haula

määttä - ristolainen
jokipakka - pokka
lepistö - vatanen
lindbohm

rinne
rask
lehtonen

BOB3000

Apr 14, 2012
Who is going to be our scorer? ohh thats right, sami vatanen of course.

The scoring department is going deep with this one.

jka*

Finlands A-Team:

Korpikoski - Filppula - Ruutu
Jokinen - Lehterä - Bergenheim
Mi.Granlund - Barkov - Aaltonen
Komarov - Teräväinen - Pulkkinen

Hartikainen
Osala

Väänänen - Pokka
Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Kukkonen
Lindell

Rask
Rinne
Raanta

Nobody cares about M.Koivu.

No great season again in nhl.

Koivu is going down in career.

Greatful.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Greatful.

I don't even know if you're serious, but in case you are, you're wrong on all accounts. Even if Koivu was nothing more than worthy of the 4th line center spot in 2018 (although I think he'll be more than that), he would still be on the team and be its captain.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Finlands A-Team:

Hartikainen
Osala

Väänänen - Pokka
Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Kukkonen
Lindell

Rask
Rinne
Raanta

Greatful.

First of all, your team of one of worst ones i've seen.

- Korpikoski and Ruutu in first line?
- Granlund in third?
- Aaltonen on the team? (No offence to him, but we got plenty better guys, unless he starts scoring realy well.)
- Teräväinen centering fourth line.. We got better 4th line centers, as Teräväinen should be 1-2 line. As im not really sold on hes 2way game.
- Hartikainen? maybe should be someone like Ma. Granlund etc. Heck even Puljujärvi should be there (Granted he doesnt take stepbacks in develope.)

- Väänänen, Lepistö, Kukkonen.. i wont even comment here.. So no Ristolainen? Lindbohm? Melart? Järvinen?

Second one: Koivu is still one of our best 2way centers.. Filppula and Barkov being other ones.

Third one:

Raanta? As much i like him, i still be pick someone our youngters; Saros etc

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Finlands A-Team:

Hartikainen
Osala

Väänänen - Pokka
Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Kukkonen
Lindell

Rask
Rinne
Raanta

Greatful.

Sorry but this team is no A-team of Finland. And Koivu is acutally playing strong as we speak, minnesota was playing really bad this season... until lately. Koivu's play has been sharper and he is shooting the puck more, too. He's better than some Swedish center or two that will make their team.

No way Tuomo Ruutu is in first line.. no way in hell. Same for Korpikoski. Those guys probably won't make the team. Their career really are going downwards, for Ruutu it's probably more Final. I can see Ruutu grinding in the 4th line in some case though.

Kudos for Väänänen. You seem to understand for good defensive D, how ever he might not fit in the team this time anymore, it all depends how Lindbohm for example develops. If all of our new NHL guys would be fails/busts, he makes the team. It's too early for Pokka.

Kudos for Pulkkinen. Good bet on that horse, right now he is only leaders AHL in goal scoring for second season in row, but is actually likely to break very soon.

Granlund - Barkov - Aaltonen is actually interesting. If new top forwards don't come soon, it's completely possible. This one depends most about Joel Armia and he's very possible break that seems to be close. While there is, perhaps overall better, finnish forwards in NHL, this type of skill guys are needed and there aren't much of them. He and Armia compete for exactly same role. If Armia wants to be ahead merited Aaltonen, he needs to be NHL regullar in he's own role. Some coaches would pick secure grinder like Ruutu over both of these guys, but I don't see that happening "any more" in Finnish hockey. But it's coaches team. Right now, Armia wouldn't have a chance, but he might only need one solid shot in the NHL roster to keep he's spot there. And if/when he does, he will be sure pick for NT's.

Teräväinen wouldn't be close to fit the team now. Ofcourse next season could change it, right now I don't see him making. Taking him over Koivu is like.. well I won't compare, it just doesn't make sense offesnsively, defensively, physically or speedwise. Not on land, air or sea. Just not never ever going to happen. Teräväinen is player of future though, and he's offensive ceiling is higher than Koivu's. Capitalizing better career than Koivu's is another thing..

Hartikainen and Osala aren't going to make the team without alot of injuries in grinder department.

I would pick the three hottest NHL goalies. No youngsters because injuries can happen, assuming the tournament is drawing the intrest for goalies as much as it takes to get best possible 3rd goalie. (I mean the World Cup and it's format).

Kudos for not counting Kontiola in.

Last edited:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I give it a shot:

Filppula (A) - Lehterä - Pulkkinen
Granlund - Barkov - J. Jokinen (A)
Korpikoski - Koivu (C) - Ruutu
Haula - Komarov - Bergenheim
(Teräväinen, Aaltonen, Armia, Puljujärvi).

määttä - Vatanen
Jokipakka - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Pokka
(Lepistö, Lindell) Also if a miracle happens and Timonen can still play in elite level he will be on the team.

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
(Maybe Saros)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I give it a shot:

määttä - Vatanen
Jokipakka - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Pokka
(Lepistö, Lindell) Also if a miracle happens and Timonen can still play in elite level he will be on the team.

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
(Maybe Saros)
Is this meant for 2016 or 2018? Parts seem to indicate, one, while some parts the other, as if you couldn't decide. In three years' time, a lot of our now-maybe youngsters will be established NHL regulars. So much in fact that Koivu and Filppula might just be only players born in the early part of the 80s.

I'd switch Filppula and Pulkkinen around, due to the latter having past chemistry with MiG. Also, I believe on the 4th line, Haula should be in the middle and Komarov on wing.

Timonen has been pretty clear he'll retire for good after the ongoing season, so to even mention him as a possibility, even as the kind that'll require a miracle, is a folly. I guess there's a very, very slim chance that he might pick it up for another season and be available for 2016, but 2018? C'mon, he'd be older than Chris Chelios, so that's a snowflake's chance in the Devil's sauna while hosting Timo Kaukonen.

Puljujärvi is a possibility, even a good one, for 2018, but to suggest that he'll be in the bubble to make the 2016 team straight out of draft without a single NHL game on his belt? Yeah no.

Last edited:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Is this meant for 2016 or 2018? Parts seem to indicate, one, while some parts the other, as if you couldn't decide. In three years' time, a lot of our now-maybe youngsters will be established NHL regulars. So much in fact that Koivu and Filppula might just be only players born in the early part of the 80s.

I'd switch Filppula and Pulkkinen around, due to the latter having past chemistry with MiG. Also, I believe on the 4th line, Haula should be in the middle and Komarov on wing.

Timonen has been pretty clear he'll retire for good after the ongoing season, so to even mention him as a possibility, even as the kind that'll require a miracle, is a folly. I guess there's a very, very slim chance that he might pick it up for another season and be available for 2016, but 2018? C'mon, he'd be older than Chris Chelios, so that's a snowflake's chance in the Devil's sauna while hosting Timo Kaukonen.

Puljujärvi is a possibility, even a good one, for 2018, but to suggest that he'll be in the bubble to make the 2016 team straight out of draft without a single NHL game on his belt? Yeah no.

I made this with a very optimistic vision and with players i'd like to see myseld, i admit it's not maybe the most realistic vision but this is the roster i'd want to see and if everything goes well we could see our national team looking like this during the 16-18 span if we get all the best players.

And i think you meant Jokinen and not Filppula to be switched with Pulkkinen? Because Pulkkinen & Filppula are in the same line... Maybe that would be better but i would also like to see how well Lehterä would work with Pulkkinen... Also Filppula & Jokinen could also be switched around but i think Filppula would help Lehterä more. Filppulas speed, skills in stick-handling, puck moving and Pulkkinen's shot could work as "Tarasenko" substitute that might work very well together and even better with Lehterä.

Timonen is a long-shot but he did say that NT is an option, if he can still play in a good enough level when he returns and if he does and can still play well, i think it's a possibility that he will do "selannes". :laugh:

As for Puljujärvi? I don't think he will play for the WC but i think he will play in the IIHF National team in the same year... heck maybe even this year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I give it a shot:

määttä - Vatanen
Jokipakka - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Pokka

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
(Maybe Saros)
Good lord no, just no. Jokinen has dragged Barkov down so much this season every time they've played together.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And i think you meant Jokinen and not Filppula to be switched with Pulkkinen? Because Pulkkinen & Filppula are in the same line... Maybe that would be better but i would also like to see how well Lehterä would work with Pulkkinen... Also Filppula & Jokinen could also be switched around but i think Filppula would help Lehterä more. Filppulas speed, skills in stick-handling, puck moving and Pulkkinen's shot could work as "Tarasenko" substitute that might work very well together and even better with Lehterä.
Yeah, that was a lapse. What I meant is that I could see a line like Granlund - Lehterä - Pulkkinen work beautifully, all parts complementing each other. Lehterä as a dynamo in the middle with Granlund providing the puck-moving and stick-handling and Pulkkinen with the cannon. Not that they're bad lines as they are.

But Timonen... yeah. There's one-in-a-hundred chance he'll turn his decision to retire around and goes for one mo', but to be available in 2018 when he'll be 43-44? Said chances are absolutely zero. And even if he was still playing, somewhere... who in their right mind would have him when we, apart from Määttä, Vatanen and Ristolainen also should have at least some of Lindell, Pokka and Honka available who can do the same things as he does?

Your mistake here seems to be that you don't quite seem to grasp how much the landscape will change in the next three years. Most of our current stable names born in the 80s will be around 35, whereas the "kids" will be 23-to-27 years old - players in their prime.

2016 will still be bit of a two-generation team, but 2018? To believe that players like Pulkkinen, Armia, Ma.Granlund, Pokka, Honka, Lindell, Teräväinen, Salomäki and who else are still pining for the sidelines waiting for their big chance should not be the status quo. To believe that they'll all be in the league, having made a name of themselves, is not just "optimistic", and even "realistic" is bit of an understatement. No, to have anyone else but them in these projections is nothing but unacceptable. They will be the core of the team.

Then we'll have two other groups. The "new kids", born in the late 90s like Puljujärvi, Juolevi, Laine taking their first strides in the league, and the old-timers, who are our current 30somethings. Out of that group, Koivu will be there to provide the leadership if nothing else, but the likes of Jokinen, Ruutu, Bergenheim, even Filppula will only make it if there are still holes to fill after all the viable 90-borns have been picked. There should be some, but something's gone really knockers up if we're about to see 'em all.

This (or close) is what we should aspire for 2018:

Rask (Ortio)

Määttä - Vatanen
Lindell - Honka
Lindbohm - Ristolainen
Jokipakka

Mi.Granlund - Lehterä - Pulkkinen
Teräväinen - Barkov - Armia
Ma.Granlund - Filppula - Puljujärvi
Komarov - Koivu - Korpikoski
J.Jokinen

...and by some accounts, even this could be a slightly conservative estimate.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Team Finland 2018 Olympics with NHL players.
1st Teräväinen Barkov Rantanen
Vatanen Määttä

2nd Donskoi Mi Granlund Pulkkinen
Honka Lindell

3rd J Jokinen Kemppainen Filppula
Pokka Ristolainen

4th Salomäki Haula Komarov
Jokipakka Lindbohm

Goalies
Rask
Rinne
Husso

Potential candidates
Jori Lehterä
Kasperi Kapanen
Juho Lammikko
Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrik Laine
Mikko Koivu ( if he's healthy)
Markus Granlund
Juuse Saros
Artturi Lehkonen
Joel Armia
Antti Raanta
Iiro Pakarinen

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Team, Finland 2018 Olympics without NHL players

1st Rajala Ramstedt Palola
Lepistö Salmela

2nd M Partanen Kontiola Puustinen
Hietanen Mäntylä

3rd Petrell Wirtanen Salminen
Kukkonen Melart

4 Hartikainen Hytönen Aaltonen
Hakanpää Järvinen

Goalies
Koskinen
I Tarkki
Aittokallio

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Team, Finland 2018 Olympics without NHL players

1st Rajala Ramstedt Palola
Lepistö Salmela

2nd M Partanen Kontiola Puustinen
Hietanen Mäntylä

3rd Petrell Wirtanen Salminen
Kukkonen Melart

4 Hartikainen Hytönen Aaltonen
Hakanpää Järvinen

Goalies
Koskinen
I Tarkki
Aittokallio

Damn that is a depressing sight.:help:

Also, what is the cause of the Aittokallio optimism? He's stuck in AHL/even got demoted to EHCL with very mediocre stats. In fact his career stats are nothing to praise about. He did have one great WJC's though, I remember him keeping us afloat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad