Finland @ 2016 World Cup / 2018 Olympics

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Post your rosters/predictions/speculation here.

Current depth chart

NHL:

C Barkov, Koivu, Mi.Granlund, Filppula, Lehterä, Haula, Ma Granlund
LW Jokinen, Bergenheim, Komarov, Joensuu, Korpikoski,
RW Pakarinen, Ruutu
LD: Määttä
RD: Vatanen, Ristolainen
G: Rinne, Rask, Lehtonen, Rämö, Raanta, Niemi

AHL:

C: Teräväinen, Kontiola
RW: Armia, Pulkkinen
LW: Keränen, Salomäki, Ikonen
LD: Lindbohm, Jokipakka, Vainonen
RD: Pokka, Honka, Hakanpää
G: Rynnäs, Ortio, Aittokallio

Europe:

C: Immonen, Kemppainen, Hytönen, Mustonen, Koskiranta, Nättinen
RW: Kapanen, Salminen, Palola, Aaltonen, Puljujärvi, Laine
LW: Lehkonen, Rajala, Osala, Pihlström, Hartikainen, Rantanen, Hintz
LD: Lindell, Lepistö, Kukkonen, Väänänen
RD: Hietanen
G: Saros, Husso, Engren, Kolppanen, Koskinen

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
General notes that we all know (world cup2016)

Strenghts:
+ Goaltending depth. Rask&Rinne worlds best duo and arguably Finlands goalkeeping worlds best
+ Center depth. Lehterä/Filppula/Granlundx2/Koivu/Haula/Barkov et cetera plenty options and lot of them have to play in wing. European depth in Immonen/Kapanen/Wirtanen etc good too.
+ Grinder depth:) No shortage of 3rd and 4th line grunts in Komarov/Joensuu/Pihlström/Hartikainen/Ruutu/Pakarinen/Osala/Korpikoski et cetera

Uncertain
+- Coaching: Kari Jalonen is still question mark how will he fair with national team.+ how will he manage NHLers, how will his tactics work in small ice, how can he cope in matchups against north americans etc
+- Who will be leading player? in Sochi it was Selänne before that it was Mikko&Tuomo but who will be in 2016. Mikko might still wear the C and but can he lead on ice still? will it be Lehterä or Granlund or will Barkov break from his shell and take charge on ice

weakness
- Lack of snipers/shooters/goalscorers. Team will have plenty of twoway solid players and passing playmakers but who will put the pucks in the net.
- Defense is still weak
- Core players still too young and guys like (Määttä/Ristolainen/Barkov) might be 5 years away from hitting their primes.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I certainly hope a team consisting mostly of the players in the depth chart can be iced in the 2018 Olympics. It would be a massive letdown to have to go to the Olympics with a Euro team, that's what the WHCs are for.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I go with a heavy center line for the World Cup 2016:

Granlund - Koivu - Granlund
Filppula - Lehterä - Jokinen
Teräväinen - Barkov - Ruutu
Komarov - Kontiola - Armia
Haula - Immonen - Pakarinen

Määttä - Vatanen
- Ristolainen

Rask / Rinne
Lehtonen / Niemi
Raanta / Rämö

RW: Pulkkinen
LW: Keränen, Salomäki, Ikonen

LD: Lindbohm, Jokipakka, Vainonen
RD: Pokka, Honka, Hakanpää

RW: Kapanen, Salminen, Palola, Aaltonen
LW: Lehkonen, Rajala, Osala, Pihlström, Hartikainen, Rantanen

LD: Lindell, Lepistö, Kukkonen, Väänänen
RD: Hietanen

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Too early for the 2018 but for the 2016 I'd but following list of forwards:

Valtteri Filppula
Mikko Koivu
Jussi Jokinen
Lauri Korpikoski
Aleksander Barkov
Mikael Granlund
Leo Komarov
Jori Lehterä
Erik Haula
Olli Jokinen
Tuomo Ruutu

And two from this list depending on how they do in the near future:

Niko Kapanen
Niklas Hagman
Jarkko Immonen
Ville Leino
Petri Kontiola
Antti Pihlström
Sean Bergenheim
Juhamatti Aaltonen
Jesse Joensuu
Sakari Salminen
Olli Palola
Teemu Hartikainen
Michael Keränen
Iiro Pakarinen
Teemu Pulkkinen
Joel Armia
Markus Granlund
Miikka Salomäki
Teuvo Teräväinen

Btw. Wich two guys you folks would pick from the latter list? I would probably pick a duo with youth and experience.

Defence has much less options.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Btw. Wich two guys you folks would pick from the latter list? I would probably pick a duo with youth and experience.

Currently I'd go with MaG and Pihlström but it's too early to say anything definitive. 2 years is a long time for young players like Armia, Pulu, TT and MaG but also for veterans like Kapanen and Hagman. Kontiola might still prove he belongs. I would however avoid bringing along players who have little to no NA experience and a tendency to be moody anyway (JMA).

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
At the moment? Salminen and Bergenheim.

Reasons: Roling and versatility. We need a top-six winger and ATM Salminen seems like the most rounded pick, especially if one feels iffy about JMA for the reasons Gaps mentioned. Of course, he can as easily be an extra and not disrupt team dynamics. And Bergy is even more versatile: Can be placed anywhere from top-six to being an extra. Plus, despite his NT achievements being a little dated, he is actually is one of our better merited NHL forwards right now.

However, this is without considering the possible breakthrough of Armia, Pulkkinen and such. So you'll have to ask me again a year from now.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
http://www.jatkoaika.com/Uutiset/lähteet-world-cupissa-ei-khlää-mutta-tähdistöjoukkueet/162727

Looks like no Euro players in the World Cup (but there will be an all-star team from other countries which is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard).

Well, we know this doesn't pose a problem for us at forward or in net, but the D is a different story. KJ or whoever is coaching won't be too happy to have a D consisting of kids. I wonder if there's going to be a loophole in this rule that would allow free agents to be selected (technically they would not be Euro league players because they would not be under contract at all).

Last edited:

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Looks like no Euro players in the World Cup (but there will be an all-star team from other countries which is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard).

They already fixed the wrong information:

"Muokattu 10.28: Poistettu virheellinen tieto euroliigoissa pelaavien pelaajien jäämisestä pois turnauksesta." - Edited 10.28(east european time): deleted erratic information about euroleague players not taking part in the tournament.

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Uutiset/lähteet-world-cupissa-mukana-tähdistöjoukkueita/162727

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
At the moment? Salminen and Bergenheim.

I ment, wich players you think would the best two in 2016.

Bergenheim sounds very fine to me. Finland needs goalscoring in that team and Bergenheim could probably provide that a little bit.
But Bergenheim is a bit enigmatic and you could expect anything from the next two years. He could have a 60 point season in 2015-2016, but aswell he could have a 15 point season.
Kontiola would have been a natural choice in last may, but something has happened with him now.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Defence is a big problem still - trying to think of a team suited for the small ice..

JJokinen-Lehterä-Filppula
Lehterä as #1 C, hoping Filppula is a similar creative buddy for him as Tarasenko, JJ to make this line our clear #1 offensive threat

MiGranlund-Barkov-Bergenheim
This is a hope it works line, something to try in games 1 & 2 and change if it doesn't

Komarov-Koivu-Ruutu
this line iced against opponents best

Haula-MaGranlund-Korpikoski
second center in Haula to take faceoffs

13th forward: Osala
personal preference

Defence:
Määttä-Vatanen
Ristolainen

man we're a mess in defence.. hoping Salo and Timonen get back because we need them
Salo-Timonen
Lindbohm-Honka

in net in contrast we have ridiculous depth. Can we trade one??
Rask
Rinne
Lehtonen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I ment, wich players you think would the best two in 2016.
In that case, having high hopes that at least one of Pulkkinen/Armia will be in the league by then. Preferably both.

But I've always been of mind that it's rather silly to put one's trust in guys who may or may not be there. The current reality seems to be that we need at least one euro winger, but we'll just have to see what it will be a year from now. I do, after all, vividly recall thinking as late as September 2013 that anyone who figures Määttä will make Sochi is smoking pot.

man we're a mess in defence.. hoping Salo and Timonen get back because we need them
No, we don't. In case you haven't noticed, both are technically retired by now. And there's a decent reason to suspect that by 2016, they will not really be better than Lepistö who other euro d-man is deemed 2nd best by then. Matter of fact, I think Leppä already outplayed both in Sochi. That was of course big ice, but he's no stranger to small one either.

Also, is Ville Pokka chopped liver to you? Not that we can rely on him 'til he actually makes it, but ATM he appears to be far closer to the league than Honka.

It'd sure be nice to have at least one of Lindbohm/Jokipakka up there by then, again preferably both, but I don't think that's going to do much to our top-4 D anyway. As of right now, we're looking at...

Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Ristolainen
---
And then whoever are our top euro options. Väänänen likely, Kukkonen too especially if we're riding four pairs - and then there's a WHC or two to show who else punches a ticket. Some seasoned AHLers - even if they don't have NT experience by then - should definitely be on the table as well.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
After Määttä-Vatanen and hopefully Ristolainen, I just feel the barrel is empty.. Didn't even bother to name names really.

Not every defender is like Määttä and ready at 18 - most will take about 3 years or so to transfer from SM-Liiga regular into NHL top-4. And at the world cup we need them to hold their own against Stamkos-Crosby-Bergeron or whatever *ridiculous* all-star lines they end up facing..

as such even an old workhorse I'd be wiling to gamble on - many defenders have managed to put up very solid years at the very end of their careers. Time off to heal, get in shape and make one last push..?
Kimmo Timonen for example captaining KalPa in 2015-2016 is not unfeasible. Salo supposedly wants to get an NHL contract.. or I heard that not too long ago.. I'd still trust him more than Lepistö. I'd actually pick Väänänen before Lepistö on the small ice (we don't need an OD imo)

However, these kids have a chance of a lifetime to seize a national team roster sport, because really those spots are open. Lindhbohm, Honka, Jokipakka, Pokka etc - the spot(s) are theirs for the taking.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
After Määttä-Vatanen and hopefully Ristolainen, I just feel the barrel is empty.. Didn't even bother to name names really.
For the moment, yes. And I doubt too that we'll see another rapid riser like Määttä in a season and a half's time.

However, while Timonen and perhaps Salo (if he somehow carries on with his career - unlikely with his injury history) remain options, they are at this point merely equal ones to our marquee European d-men. If they stick around and play somewhere, I'm not saying they don't deserve a look... but at this stage, they'd be similar plugs in the barrel than those Euro hopefuls.

(we don't need an OD imo)
If there's to be another playing with left hook besides Määttä, yes we do. Since Honka and Pokka are both righties, Lepistö will be there. Though I suppose there's still a chance of Pitkänen making a comeback.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hietanen-Lepisto pair was very good in the Olympics. Both are better than Salo now. Both are NHL level talents and probably would be playing there if their name were Hutchinson and Lapierre.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hietanen has the skill and skating necessary to make it in the NHL, no doubt. But I wonder if he'd be physical enough.

Lepistö has already shown that he has at least what it takes to make it in a bottom pair.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Hietanen has the skill and skating necessary to make it in the NHL, no doubt. But I wonder if he'd be physical enough.

Hietanen is physical enough. He is an excellent hitter, besides being skilled and smart with the puck and being a very good shooter.
Hietanen will be in the 2016 team surely. Most likely Lepistö - Hietanen together.

Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Hietanen
????? - Ristolainen

Kukkonen - Väänänen is another option for third pairing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hietanen is physical enough. He is an excellent hitter, besides being skilled and smart with the puck and being a very good shooter.
Hietanen will be in the 2016 team surely. Most likely Lepistö - Hietanen together.
I don't think anybody can say that Hietanen is physical enough before somebody actually sees him play in an NA environment. He's not soft, but neither is he the toughest nut out there.

Especially after Sochi he does deserve to be mentioned in all the speculations, no doubt. But he's going to be one of those players who are more or less a stab in the dark as far as the 2016 team goes. And this should not be understood as if I was thinking he's destined to fail. Personally, I view JMA the same way. He's shown enough to get a mention, especially if we don't have more prominent top-six winger options available by 2016, but to actually predict how he'd do is anybody's guess.

Määttä - Vatanen
Lepistö - Hietanen
????? - Ristolainen

Kukkonen - Väänänen is another option for third pairing.
Those seven names plus hopefully one of Lindbohm/Jokipakka and that would be quite the decent defense. Pales to the competition of course, but again, nobody should give a damn on what the squad looks like on paper.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I dont know I quess Hietanen wont make or break the team whether he makes it or not. On positive side I think his good backup not a downgrade if injuries occur or whatnot. Im curious on progress of Esa Lindell whether he can challenge Lepistö. If all goes well he could play 2 world championships before the world cup and 1 season in North America and go head to head with Sami for that 2nd pair LD.

Olli Määttä - Sami Vatanen
Esa Lindell - Rasmus Ristolainen
Petteri Lindbohm - Jyrki Jokipakka

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Olli Määttä - Sami Vatanen
Esa Lindell - Rasmus Ristolainen
Petteri Lindbohm - Jyrki Jokipakka
Knowing Finnish coaches, they'll never go with that young a defense, even if those six would technically be the best individual picks by fall 2016. As much as I'd like to be wrong, I suspect we won't see that group before 2018.

Couldn't also help noticing you seem to be turning that Q into a trademark.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Think there's a very good chance to see Armia at 2016 World Cup
That article's a frikken' sweet read. If Armia turns out, something like this might be nice:

Mi.Granlund - Lehterä - Armia
Bergenheim - Barkov - J.Jokinen
Filppula - Koivu - Ruutu
Komarov - Haula - Korpikoski
+ MaG as an extra

I there's room for 14 forwards, we shall see who grabs that last slot. Perhaps Teräväinen or Pulkkinen will also be making ripples by then. Then there's of course OJ, but he's starting to look bit of a wash, to be honest. We should really have better options down the middle by 2016, especially if TT turns out. Heck, even if he doesn't, I could say that we do even as of today.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Filppula - Koivu - K. Kapanen
Palola - Teräväinen - J. Jokinen
Komarov - Barkov - Bergenheim

Teräväinen is a stretch but if he makes solid breaktrough at first try, not unrealistic. As well as Puljujärvi and such in 2018. Pulkkinen has been scoring tons of goal scorer goals in NA and is dark horse for 2018, even 2016 with luck. Palola is current placeholder for sniper. Looking forward for Puljujärvi or Pulkkinen breaktrough.. Markus Granlund might make it with luck, looks good now for him.

For Palola's sport, competition is in this order: Pulkkinen, Ma Granlund, Puljujärvi. This all assuming Armia makes it. Ma. Granlund already made the NHL now but he doesn't bring too much size or speed.. I still see better ceiling in Pulu and Armia.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Filppula - Koivu - K. Kapanen
Palola - Teräväinen - J. Jokinen
Komarov - Barkov - Bergenheim
Is this supposed to be a 2016 or -18 squad? Looks somewhat more like the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad