Proposal: Finish the Rebuild

Nov 1, 2011
The development of Petterson may have me too excited. It has me thinking the team may be okay up front and just needs a stud franchise dman while Edler and Tanev can still play.

Any thoughts on the team giving up a package, say Madden + Juolevi + DiPietro +2020 1st + 2020 2nd (we obviously can't trade the 2019 1st) + a cap dump for Alex Petriangelo?

Not really sure where value lies, not sure if there is value in our prospects but likely selling high after good WJC for two of them.

It would also be nice to dump some salary so we could go after one of the big UFA forwards like Stone or Panarin.

Seems like the time to do something like this would be during Petterson's ELC.

Edler - Petriangelo
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher

Could be good for years to come.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Pointless when we're wasting money on $14m Eriksson, Schaller, Gudbranson and Gagner for years to come. Add in $3m on Beagle who is fine but significantly overpaid. We should have like $10m+ more in space to acquire quality vets. You don't win championships playing with a $10m lower effective cap than everyone else.

Dump those players and we'll talk about acquiring Stone/Karlsson/Petriangelo/whoever the hell you want because we could be an elite team. We won't dump them though, and we will not be an elite team as a result. Just a team with some elite players.

Reactions: Peen and geebaan

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Juolevi could be better than pieterangelo in 3-4 years (unlikely, but not insane to think a 24 year old juolevi would outplay a 32 year old pieterangelo).
I don’t want to trade madden based on his recent projection, our prospect pool isn’t as deep as people assume.
DiPietro could become a better goaltender than demko. Either way I’d rather have both moving forward.
This team has proven that they can bottom out after decent stretches, why would we risk 2020 picks which could result in a player like lefreniere? Stay the course, and hire a management group that can actually scout pro players.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That won't get you Pietrangelo and there's no point. Better off developing and signing players. Good core now to move forward with.

Nov 1, 2011
I get that people don't like current management but really this is a conversation about trading futures for a guy like Petriangelo and whether this is the right time.

I agree that we have some bad contracts but you can't just roll over and die because you have a few bad contracts. You have to work to move them or save cap in other places.

In terms of Juolevi being better than Petriangelo in 3-4 years, it isn't just unlikely, it's almost impossible. Big smart guys like Petriangelo go for a long time, that's why guys like Pronger and Chara get undervalued as they approach 30.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Finish the rebuild by firing Jimbo out of a cannon.

Thank you for your idiocy now hit the bricks and take Weisbrod with you.
Since Pettersson has arrived on the scene, and Beagle and Roussel have worked out relatively well...I don't think Jimbo is facing any 'hard' questions at all these days....

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
The development of Petterson may have me too excited. It has me thinking the team may be okay up front and just needs a stud franchise dman while Edler and Tanev can still play.

Any thoughts on the team giving up a package, say Madden + Juolevi + DiPietro +2020 1st + 2020 2nd (we obviously can't trade the 2019 1st) + a cap dump for Alex Petriangelo?

Not really sure where value lies, not sure if there is value in our prospects but likely selling high after good WJC for two of them.

It would also be nice to dump some salary so we could go after one of the big UFA forwards like Stone or Panarin.

Seems like the time to do something like this would be during Petterson's ELC.

Edler - Petriangelo
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher

Could be good for years to come.

Absolutely terrible.

We are still several forwards and dmen away from being a contender and Pietrangelo is turning 29 in a couple weeks which means in 4-5 years, he'll easily be on the tail end of his career. And you want to trade away pieces that all have a chance to being part of our core players? DiPietro could be better than Demko, Madden could turn into a very solid middle 6 forward, Juolevi could turn into a solid 2nd pairing dman.... plus you want to give away very high draft picks as well?

Absolutely terrible idea for where we are at. This year is actually a major PROBLEM for the Canucks going forward. Everything that could go right, currently is going right. Our dmen are healthy and have been relatively through the year. Our best dmen, Edler in particular, is having one of his best years recently. Tanev lately has also been playing exceptionally well. Markstrom just had a month that was perhaps the best of his career. Our top 3 offensive players are also all relatively healthy.

Sure there have been a few bumps to some players who have been out for a bit, but no tremendously long stretches. This team is not a contender, and they are several very key pieces away.

I also don't want to be a contender for just a year or two. We need to add to our young core and replace the old vets who are not going to be here or at the top of their game in 3-4 years. (IE: Edler, Tanev), not add more pieces that still won't turn us into a contender who will then age with our vets.

Pietrangelo is also a UFA after next season...

And you're proposing that we allow St. Louis to do to Pietrangelo what we should be doing with Edler/Tanev.... selling high while we're rebuilding.

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
No - don't trade any futures for "now". Let's see what we can do with younger players filling holes over the next couple of years, and look to clean up the roster by getting rid of lesser pieces.

That said, I think any "tank talk" should go out the window too.

Now that we are establishing a new young core, you have to keep them focused on winning, even through tough stretches. That's not to say the trajectory will be linear. Having any sort of loser talk at this stage can lead to an Edmonton situation where your core rots and stagnates.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There are a couple of issues with OP's approach.

1. We can't afford to give up the assets for a true #1 Dman. We need to keep stockpiling prospects and continue to build and develop a young core.

2. Pietro will be 29 in two weeks, he doesn't fit the age core that we want to build around - he's too old.

We really need to hit a home run on another defenceman through the draft. Hughes is a great start. Juolevi is a bit of a wildcard but could be a good complimentary player at this point. I wouldn't bank on Woo, Rathbone, McEneny, Brisebois, Brassard, etc. but it would be nice if one of them turns into an NHLer. Ideally, we get two more top 10 picks - one for a top pairing defenceman, and one for a top 6 forward (winger). Then we can look at adding a few final pieces through free agency or making a trade when we're a true contender.

Reactions: Uhmkay

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think it is a good time to do something like this... but this is where we should have had a stockpile of picks and futures from the prior 3 seasons to help out. The package the OP suggests isn't going to get St. Louis' interest because it's a 5 for 1 where 4 of the assets are years away. If Pietrangelo is the guy you want then you probably need to do something more like Demko, Gaudette, and Juolevi, plus picks, to get St. Louis' interest.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Pointless when we're wasting money on $14m Eriksson, Schaller, Gudbranson and Gagner for years to come. Add in $3m on Beagle who is fine but significantly overpaid. We should have like $10m+ more in space to acquire quality vets. You don't win championships playing with a $10m lower effective cap than everyone else.

Dump those players and we'll talk about acquiring Stone/Karlsson/Petriangelo/whoever the hell you want because we could be an elite team. We won't dump them though, and we will not be an elite team as a result. Just a team with some elite players.
The team isn't paying a $10m higher effective cap than everyone else. A list of the 3-4 poorest value contracts on many teams woukd look a lot like the one you've given here or worse.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The team isn't paying a $10m higher effective cap than everyone else. A list of the 3-4 poorest value contracts on many teams woukd look a lot like the one you've given here or worse.

Not everyone else, but "many teams" generally won't include the elite teams that are actually looking to win the cup. For clarification you don't win the cup with a $10m lower effective cap than the other championship tier teams.

Even elite teams have some wasted space, but $14m in bad contracts for several years to come is a lot. When you have even more current bad contracts that were signed you have to wonder about what comes next as well.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It's premature to be shipping out good futures for a high profile, but old blue liner. I'd like to see them stay the course and keep building from within until they're on the brink of being a real contender. That's the time to acquire that last, expensive piece that completes the puzzle. Maybe the addition of Q. Hughs will be enough of an impact to put us into contention but that's a best case scenario. I think we're at least another year or two away from making a big splash.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Not everyone else, but "many teams" generally won't include the elite teams that are actually looking to win the cup. For clarification you don't win the cup with a $10m lower effective cap than the other championship tier teams.

Even elite teams have some wasted space, but $14m in bad contracts for several years to come is a lot. When you have even more current bad contracts that were signed you have to wonder about what comes next as well.

The contract situation is fine. This team is still 2-3 years from contention and all of those contracts will be over in the early stages of our contending window. If anything, it is a good thing we don't have all of this cap space at once. We'll get a little bit each year which gives us an opportunity to evaluate and fix any holes this team will have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The contract situation is fine. This team is still 2-3 years from contention and all of those contracts will be over in the early stages of our contending window. If anything, it is a good thing we don't have all of this cap space at once. We'll get a little bit each year which gives us an opportunity to evaluate and fix any holes this team will have.

This team doesn't have to be 2-3 years away if we didn't have the contracts. We have a #1 C making 5.5m, a #1 winger making 875k and a potentially generational C making 875k. The fact that we're still not a good team is embarrassing.

Boeser gets his raise next year but if Hughes stepped in and did well we would still have 2 amazing ELC players contributing.

Yeah with solid team building, which is questionable based on history, we could be a competitive team in 2-3 years. I even as much relatively recently on this board. We should, however, be a competitive team now if it weren't for the contracts I listed, and that doesn't include the extra garbage we have this year like Granlund, MDZ and Pouliot taking on extra $5.6m

With how lucky we got with Pettersson we should be entering the competitive window right now. We're not because of dreadful cap management.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Taking shortcuts like trading for a 29 year old defenseman when you're still rebuilding usually backfire. Stay patient. When we are close we can make that big trade or signing but hopefully it is for a young player or a free agent that pushes us over the top.
For now, trade what doesn't fit into the teams long term plans for picks.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This team doesn't have to be 2-3 years away if we didn't have the contracts. We have a #1 C making 5.5m, a #1 winger making 875k and a potentially generational C making 875k. The fact that we're still not a good team is embarrassing.

Boeser gets his raise next year but if Hughes stepped in and did well we would still have 2 amazing ELC players contributing.

Yeah with solid team building, which is questionable based on history, we could be a competitive team in 2-3 years. I even as much relatively recently on this board. We should, however, be a competitive team now if it weren't for the contracts I listed, and that doesn't include the extra garbage we have this year like Granlund, MDZ and Pouliot taking on extra $5.6m

With how lucky we got with Pettersson we should be entering the competitive window right now. We're not because of dreadful cap management.

Even if the money had been more efficiently used, this still isn't a cup contending team. Playoff team? Sure, but not a cup contender and that's what really matters. Great teams are built with players on pre-UFA contracts, and this team just don't have enough of those at the moment.

And funny thing that you mention Hughes, because he's probably not ready and immediately step in and be a major contributor, but he might get there in a couple of years and that's exactly when our timeline should be.

Pettersson lighting the league on fire so quickly shouldn't change this team's timeline. We're still way short on homegrown talent.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
No way. Don’t mortgage the future until you’re a cup favourite. Then you do it to put the team over the top.

This team needs two more legitimate offensive threats up front and at least two more defenders if Hughes and Juolevi both are legitimate top 4.

Way too early to be buying.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
No. Do not trade for Pietrangelo, especially not this season. However, I will be leading the charge to sign Pietrangelo when he's a FA in 2020. If we can shed some of the dead weight on our roster, and he isn't resigned by St Lou, I'd be ALL over this.

I don't think it's absurd to think that we could be a Pietrangelo away from contending by the 2020-2021 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad