Post-Game Talk: Finding ways to lose

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bear is getting exposed playing 1st pair minutes. His confidence is plummeting every game, please move him down to second and third pairing to help him get his confidence back
Either Nurse is playing like an elite #1 dragging bear around, or what you're saying just isn't true.

Bear has been fine since being scratched for one game, minus the second game against winnipeg.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
yeah this Nurse slander is totally uncalled for. He is not the problem. Neither is Nuge

Nurse is playing hard, earning his pay and a factor in almost every game. Nuge is playing with the best player in hockey at EV, the two best players in hockey on first unit PP, ALWAYS, and isn't even treading water and isn't even PPG.

How you could be glued to these players and not be at least PPG always is incredible. Nuge gets a higher proportion of his offense through PP than any "Star" player I know. He ain't that great, not this package, he brings less to the game, individually, then when he was a rookie.

Certainly nuge is a problem because in close games where he is invisible, and not even getting a scoring chance or cashing, in a one goal game that could be the margin of W or L.

People forget how much McD or Drai can elevate good players. Nuge with his assignments, its a disgrace to be 106 in league wide P/G He has the best plum assignment imaginable for pts production. It doesn't get better.

Reactions: Betelgeuse

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse is playing hard, earning his pay and a factor in almost every game. Nuge is playing with the best player in hockey at EV, the two best players in hockey on first unit PP, ALWAYS, and isn't even treading water and isn't even PPG.

How you could be glued to these players and not be at least PPG always is incredible. Nuge gets a higher proportion of his offense through PP than any "Star" player I know. He ain't that great, not this package, he brings less to the game, individually, then when he was a rookie.

Certainly nuge is a problem because in close games where he is invisible, and not even getting a scoring chance or cashing, in a one goal game that could be the margin of W or L.

People forget how much McD or Drai can elevate good players. Nuge with his assignments, its a disgrace to be 106 in league wide P/G He has the best plum assignment imaginable for pts production. It doesn't get better.
Last year heres the breakdown on points.

RNH
Even Strength 37
5on5 34
Powerplay 24

McDavid
Even Strength 54
5on5 50
Powerplay 43

Draisaitl
Even Strength 66
5on5 56
Powerplay 44

RNH got 39% of his points on the powerplay. Draisaitl got 40% of his, McDavid got 44% of his.

So that is just false.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Nuge is responsible defensively and can somewhat keep up with the elite players, but he can't drive play. He is a passenger and complimentary, but the Oilers need more than that and at this point, we know Nuge can't provide that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

RNH
Even Strength 37
5on5 34
Powerplay 24

McDavid
Even Strength 54
5on5 50
Powerplay 43

Draisaitl
Even Strength 66
5on5 56
Powerplay 44

RNH got 39% of his points on the powerplay. Draisaitl got 40% of his, McDavid got 44% of his.

So that is just false.

RNH career wise, has 34% of his pts on PP. higher total than either Leon or Connor.

Of course when he's glued to either, for all of his TOI, he's going to be able to pick up a bit more pts EV, presently. He doesn't drive hardly any of them.

Career, Leon has 29% of pts on PP. Exactt same with Connor.

Both are several years younger than Nuge and still learning how to be their best. With Nuge this is as good as it gets. Some sod riding coat tails every season, rarely if ever being an impact player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
RNH career wise, has 34% of his pts on PP. higher total than either Leon or Connor.

Of course when he's glued to either, for all of his TOI, he's going to be able to pick up a bit more pts EV, presently. He doesn't drive hardly any of them.

Career, Leon has 29% of pts on PP. Exactt same with Connor.

Both are several years younger than Nuge and still learning how to be their best. With Nuge this is as good as it gets. Some sod riding coat tails every season, rarely if ever being an impact player.
Sidney Crosby has a 34% of his points on the PP.

Lots of star players hover around that 30-35% it seems.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sidney Crosby has a 34% of his points on the PP.

Lots of star players hover around that 30-35% it seems.

Sidney Crosby DRIVES those pts on the PP. So of course that is different. RNH is a beneficiary on around 70% of the PP pts he obtains. Rarely has much to do with the play except when scoring the goal, and only when hes left wide open because every sensible team in the league is covering Drai, or McD, and leaving Nuge wide open on the PP.

Theres a difference.

Nuge should be made to generate more on his own, and I think that would be better for him. They should put him on 2nd unit PP, exclusively, and make him generate there. Especially in a contract year. What the Oilers are doing with him inflating his pts is silly unless their intent is to deal him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sidney Crosby DRIVES those pts on the PP. So of course that is different. RNH is a beneficiary on around 70% of the PP pts he obtains. Rarely has much to do with the play except when scoring the goal, and only when hes left wide open because every sensible team in the league is covering Drai, or McD, and leaving Nuge wide open on the PP.

Theres a difference.

Nuge should be made to generate more on his own, and I think that would be better for him. They should put him on 2nd unit PP, exclusively, and make him generate there. Especially in a contract year. What the Oilers are doing with him inflating his pts is silly unless their intent is to deal him.
I never said RNH drove the powerplay or that Crosby didnt.

I took issue with " Nuge gets a higher proportion of his offense through PP than any "Star" player I know"

We don't need to make stuff up to dislike Nuge, we have enough other reasons to talk about.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I never said RNH drove the powerplay or that Crosby didnt.

I took issue with " Nuge gets a higher proportion of his offense through PP than any "Star" player I know"

We don't need to make stuff up to dislike Nuge, we have enough other reasons to talk about.

Fair enough. you've properly disputed the stated point, I should have worded it better, you are 100% correct.

spoiler;

Who the f*** stole Drivesaitls account and howcome hes not arguing. heh

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
You know what would be nice ?

If we could win big tomorrow. Something like 5-1. A stress free game where we’re not pulling our hair out !

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair enough. you've properly disputed the stated point, I should have worded it better, you are 100% correct.

spoiler;

Who the f*** stole Drivesaitls account and howcome hes not arguing. heh
Nuge is just one of those players that doesn’t seem like he has the drive to get better. That’s what sets him and true stars apart, because he has lots of natural talent he should be much more than he is.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Nuge is just one of those players that doesn’t seem like he has the drive to get better. That’s what sets him and true stars apart, because he has lots of natural talent he should be much more than he is.
He's a very good 50-60 point two-way player that coaches have a hard for. I think many of us thought he'd become an exceptional player. Have a higher ceiling if you will.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Twenty years ffs
Quit being a drama queen, did you even finish reading that sentence? Blockbuster trades are rare in general and Holland only ever made 2 because he never needed to make big trades because he primarily builds through drafting and free agency. Grow up.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
How the f*** are some of you still defending this team???

What is wrong with you
There were people who thought that Oilers were at least top2 team in the division before the season started. If last year Oilers had this years special teams it would have been pretty much the same result. They are still below average 5on5, before they fix that by getting quality depth and few key players nothing chances.

In my mind nothing has really changed about this team. Maybe it has been a bit disappointing, but nothing major. No back-up, defensive zone collapses, Koskinen has been below average (last year was slightly above average, but no rest what so ever) and bottom6 has been worse than expected (the bar was low to begin with). And the record so far isn't a surprise to me.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Either Nurse is playing like an elite #1 dragging bear around, or what you're saying just isn't true.

Bear has been fine since being scratched for one game, minus the second game against winnipeg.

Bear hasn't been fine lol. He is barely a number 3 on a good team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bear hasn't been fine lol. He is barely a number 3 on a good team.

Bear would be on the bottom pairing when you look at most teams RD depth charts. The only Dmen we have on this team that should be top pairing players are Nurse and Klefbom. There's a reason why we are letting in 4-5 goals every game.

Reactions: Magnum23

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bear is getting exposed playing 1st pair minutes. His confidence is plummeting every game, please move him down to second and third pairing to help him get his confidence back
I agree and am also not convinced Bear is quick enough and/or big enough to be playing in a top pairing, ever. But this is the Oilers, and their lack of quality depth is killing them again. Big surprise.

Reactions: Magnum23

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I agree and am also not convinced Bear is quick enough and/or big enough to be playing in a top pairing, ever. But this is the Oilers, and their lack of quality depth is killing them again. Big surprise.

Yes I agree, his below average foot speed and strength on the puck is more obvious when playing on the top pair. So true, depth is killing us again - just like every other year smh

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

RNH
Even Strength 37
5on5 34
Powerplay 24

McDavid
Even Strength 54
5on5 50
Powerplay 43

Draisaitl
Even Strength 66
5on5 56
Powerplay 44

So that is just false.
And I will wager that a great proportion of those even strength points came while playing on the DRY line. But don't even get me started on that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad