Post-Game Talk: Finding ways to lose

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don't think the Oilers management reads the boards however.

Nurse has us over a barrel for his next negotiation and his agents know it.

maybe

LHD

2020/21
nurse
Jones

2021/22
Klefbom
Broberg

is dumping nurse in the offseason and using his money for another position really that big a drop off?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
maybe

LHD

2020/21
nurse
Jones

2021/22
Klefbom
Broberg

is dumping nurse in the offseason and using his money for another position really that big a drop off?
Yeah, Im not dumping Nurse and running with an unreliable Klefbom as our only top 4 left D.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
maybe

LHD

2020/21
nurse
Jones

2021/22
Klefbom
Broberg

I am not assuming Klefbom’s arthritic shoulder will be magically cured.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I do think there's something to it. Why do players always underperform when they come here? None of our offseason signings have looked adequate so far. AA already has three goals with the Kings. Ennis meanwhile is waiver wire fodder, for instance.

Ennis had a bad injury. Before that, he was good. AA didn't fit in and he was bad defensively. He's doing good on a bad team where he doesn't need to play great defence. Turris isn't in a position to succeed. We are forcing him to play a position he hasn't been ever good at. Barrie is just... ugh. KK is going good

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I just think our evaluations of Nurse are completely different. I see a d-man that is showing #2 ability on a fairly consistent basis now, and you see a d-man that is a middling 2nd pair guy. He can handle the role and minutes he's being given, he isn't really struggling as a 23-25 minutes per night, all situations player. I don't see how just north of $6m is unreasonable for a player like that. Almost every team would pay their top d-man in that role that much, some just got lucky and signed them for cheap before they broke out.

He sees what he wants to honestly. We can try for so long to make him see the pros and he won't budge.

Reactions: McOilers97

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
He sees what he wants to honestly. We can try for so long to make him see the pros and he won't budge.

It's a bit like when Petry was here and there was a a group of anti-Petry people that hated him because he was playing the #1 role on the team, even though he was developing well and showed promise, despite some growing pains. And now look at him...

Being the best d-man on the Oilers is a thankless f***ing job. Even if you're a damn good player people will say you suck if you aren't a Doughty/Weber/Keith calibre player. And then guys that play well as a #4 or 5 for a few weeks get praised endlessly and pencilled into the lineup for the next 5+ years.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
what if we did something unprecedented and radical like

1. have a system where McDavid and Draisaitl don't always cheat for offence
  2. try something crazy like RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
  3. and then McDavid, you know, gets to play with Puljujarvi and some random dude who can be F2 like Kahun or who gives a f*** who
our defence isn't pretty by any stretch (pass) of the imagination, but god damn our forward support is unreliable

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's a bit like when Petry was here and there was a a group of anti-Petry people that hated him because he was playing the #1 role on the team, even though he was developing well and showed promise, despite some growing pains. And now look at him...

Being the best d-man on the Oilers is a thankless f***ing job. Even if you're a damn good player people will say you suck if you aren't a Doughty/Weber/Keith calibre player. And then guys that play well as a #4 or 5 for a few weeks get praised endlessly and pencilled into the lineup for the next 5+ years.
If Doughty, Keith or Weber played for us and made a couple of mistakes guaranteed the same people on here would rip them apart

Reactions: TB12 and Leo360

North

Jun 25, 2009
Better if he's the solution than some stooge like Barrie on defence. At this point, who else do we have?

Nah we got to upgrade Nurse to be successful. He can’t be our best d man if we want to be a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad