Financial Boycott of Melnyk-owned Senators

Are you going to financially support a Melnyk owned team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm at a cross roads. I do not want to give Melnyk my money, but my kids love the Sens and I want them to experience games.

I brought my oldest to one of the Rangers games during the ECF run and he was over the moon.

But, will the atmosphere this season be crap? I don't want to bring them to a half empty rink that's quiet and boring.

I don't know what to do

If karlsson leaves explain to your kids why your doing it. Having a player like that and trading him away because you dont have the money to win is unacceptable and this is the measure your taking to prevent future star players from leaving

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If karlsson leaves explain to your kids why your doing it. Having a player like that and trading him away because you dont have the money to win is unacceptable and this is the measure your taking to prevent future star players from leaving

Around the deadline I explained to my 7yr old that Karlsson might get traded, and why.

He thought about it and asked what a name is for a person who doesn't want to spend money. Instead of saying cheapassmotherf_______er, I said scrooge.

7yr old concludes, "the owner is a scrooge and not a nice person."

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I'm at a cross roads. I do not want to give Melnyk my money, but my kids love the Sens and I want them to experience games.

I brought my oldest to one of the Rangers games during the ECF run and he was over the moon.

But, will the atmosphere this season be crap? I don't want to bring them to a half empty rink that's quiet and boring.

I don't know what to do

Well, if you child was over the moon already, then he shouldn't worry about the atmosphere:laugh:.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Boycotting will only accentuate the team financial problems. Melnyk probably won't sell before the Lebreton project anyway and once the value of his asset hits his full stride. His plan is to reduce/erase the debt loans first. The quicker it is financially viable, the quicker he will sell IMO.

Plus, if the attendance, merchandising sales and TV ratings plummet, it gives arguments to Melnyk for a relocation if that's his evil plan.

Bring panels like "invest more in the team" and "get Lebrerton going" instead

No?

Reactions: ISensFanI
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

I don't know what to do

Kids are pretty resiliant. Just make it a teaching moment about supporting things for the right reasons.

It's not the same, but as a child my dad had season tickets to the Calgary Stampeders, but we ran into some financial difficulties and had to give them up. Instead we went to the occasional Cannons game (minor league baseball) instead. Was I sad we missed out on something I used to enjoy? Sure, but I also learned an important lesson on financial restraint that has been good to me as I've become more financially independent.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
My boycott hinges on Karlsson. If he's traded to save money that shows no commitment to winning and just an attempt to stay get by financially. Which, to me, is unacceptable in a salary cap league. This isn't MLB or English Premier League where the Yankees and Manchester United's can buy up the best teams. We should all be on near equal footing.

If we keep Karlsson, well, at least they're putting in enough effort to retain the best player the team has ever had. Which really should be a no brainer.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Boycotting will only accentuate the team financial problems. Melnyk probably won't sell before the Lebreton project anyway and once the value of his asset hits his full stride. His plan is to reduce/erase the debt loans first. The quicker it is financially viable, the quicker he will sell IMO.

Plus, if the attendance, merchandising sales and TV ratings plummet, it gives arguments to Melnyk for a relocation if that's his evil plan.

Bring panels like "invest more in the team" and "get Lebrerton going" instead

No?

So just to be clear you think that Melnyk is going with the plot from Major League?

Reactions: Zebra

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I respect that. A big part of it for me is the actual in game entertainment value.

I hate the jerseys; I hate the terrible version of the classic Sens intro song they play; I hate the same crappy pump up video they play literally all year long; I hate that I don't get to see Lyndon Slewidge occasionally; I hate the PM race every ****ing second intermission; I hate the lack of media they present on the jumbotron (used to be some very well made funny clips they would bust out that would get you lol'ing); I hate the music (for the most part); I hate the Missing Chiclets (if they even exist anymore).

Hate might be a strong word, but I feel my reluctance to continue going to games being equal parts Melnyk, equal parts the fact I just don't enjoy the experience of actually going to games anymore. It frustrates me more than anything because I remember games when I was younger and the way it used to be. It was just so much more of an engaging experience.

The game experience just seems tired. There's nothing fresh about it. A band of old guys playing old songs. The same intermission stuff every time.

I kind of hold my nose and go for the hockey. When the team isn't good I try to remember to watch the great talents on the other team. I have fond memories of some great performances by Lemieux, Selanne and Forsberg against my team.

For the record, it's not all bad, mind you. I do go to the Molson Canadian Fan Deck now and then to have a few beers while the game is going on and I think the food options have largely gotten better. If the Fan Deck had better beer (like in the end zone at the Redblacks games) it would help.

I also like Central Bierhaus at Terry Fox but that's only before games. If it was right next to the rink I'd be more inclined to stick around, but driving back there and then driving again back East just seems like a lot.

I honestly understand why people want to boycott. You have to express your disenchantment somehow. I also understand why people still want to go. Winnipeg and Quebec City both lost their teams and regretted it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So just to be clear you think that Melnyk is going with the plot from Major League?

lol I have absolutely have no idea of what goes on in Melnyk's head but we have to be cautious with what we wish for. Look at Andy's situation, he certainly didn't like being insulted after what he's done for the team.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The game experience just seems tired. There's nothing fresh about it. A band of old guys playing old songs. The same intermission stuff every time.

I kind of hold my nose and go for the hockey. When the team isn't good I try to remember to watch the great talents on the other team. I have fond memories of some great performances by Lemieux, Selanne and Forsberg against my team.

For the record, it's not all bad, mind you. I do go to the Molson Canadian Fan Deck now and then to have a few beers while the game is going on and I think the food options have largely gotten better. If the Fan Deck had better beer (like in the end zone at the Redblacks games) it would help.

I also like Central Bierhaus at Terry Fox but that's only before games. If it was right next to the rink I'd be more inclined to stick around, but driving back there and then driving again back East just seems like a lot.

I honestly understand why people want to boycott. You have to express your disenchantment somehow. I also understand why people still want to go. Winnipeg and Quebec City both lost their teams and regretted it.

The game experience just reeks of a staff of very few people just running the same show over and over because that's all they can muster with what they've got / what they're capable of. No creativity, nothing unique, likely doing no market research to see what other teams are doing. Just nothing like how a proper business should be run. That's probably the thing that frustrates me the most. Seeing him run such a joke of an organization and expecting people to pay him for his crappy product (notwithstanding one cinderella run to the conf finals) . He lives in a dream world where he thinks he can just ice a hockey team and watch his bank account balance go up.

I realize boycotting is a slippery slope, but I think the hockey world knows and the city has proven that there is a fan base here more than capable of supporting the Sens, it's just having the life sucked out of it by EM. I think there is going to come a time where we may have to prove it, either to support new ownership or something of the like, but hopefully when that time comes the fans will come together and show that this is a rabid hockey city, and it's really just waiting for something good to happen.

Reactions: Rand0m

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I wrote something very biting and horrible, so I will just keep it simple: a lot of the anger towards the owner is, in my opinion, misguided. Hockey players underperformed, coach sucked, GM made some questionable moves. All of those things resulted in a crappy season. Horrid. As a hockey fan, I can put two and two together. Just like that. **** happens and I guess it was our turn, you know?

So I don't see what role the owner has in this. He just pays the bills and it went pear-shaped. I feel bad for him because he paid for garbage. As a business owner, I can empathize.

Now, people here want to immerse themselves in hockey operations, scouting, front office, and all that ****. I don't care to the obsessive levels of many here. It is so ridiculous, in my opinion.

Thanks for your question, but I don't see anything that has happened that would make me say enough. A lot of fake news doesn't help. A lot of stupid people doesn't help. I'll say this: he has said some things that irritated many here, especially attendance issues. Well, he ain't talking about me. Own it Ottawa, you effed up . Bad. We have cheap tickets and we can't fill the place to watch an apparent generational player. But the same people want him to sign this player to watch him on TV? Get over yourselves.

Melnyk gets a lot of rope from me because he has to deal with the worst fans in the country. The incredible reaches people go through to blame him for everything is a joke. Pathetic. Ok, I just went back to biting and horrible! But I appreciate your question and the disclaimer is out there for all the sensitive types who will think this is directed to someone specific. It isn't.

I appreciate your point of view as I hope you do mine even though they are very different. And I think you were being sincere.

More often than not, I’ll agree with your posts.

This one though, it’s pretty left field.

Reactions: coladin

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I agree with most of your takes but I'm calling you on the hardly ever sold out legitimately bit. I know because I talked with Roy Mlakar a few times about this. He told me that they regularly sold "more" than capacity many times and were running on all cylinders for years. For sure they papered for a bit but this market is not fake.

But this boycott stuff is ridiculous and that blogger is dim. Yeah right, Melnyk will spook because some kids put up billboards. That stuff doesn't even register in the larger scheme of getting the best price for his investment. A sale might happen in 6 months or maybe 24 months, none of this stuff will move the needle.

You lost me at “some kids”.

You don’t agree with something so you resort to being patronizing...?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Around the deadline I explained to my 7yr old that Karlsson might get traded, and why.

He thought about it and asked what a name is for a person who doesn't want to spend money. Instead of saying cheapassmotherf_______er, I said scrooge.

7yr old concludes, "the owner is a scrooge and not a nice person."

Compromise:

Go to the game if you want to go (that goes for everyone reading this, btw), but don't buy any concessions. Heck, take the bus if it's a practical alternative for you. That way, you can still have the experience with your kids of going to games, but you're giving scrooge the least amount of money possible.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, like kids want to hear all that garbage. Great, great idea. :thumbd:

Zorf, let your kids enjoy the games and those times you get away and be with them. Memories are created there that last a lifetime. It is time that you won't get back as they get older. Trust me, they grow up way too fast. Be angry after you tuck them in, have a beer.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
More often than not, I’ll agree with your posts.

This one though, it’s pretty left field.

Hey, My opinions are not for everyone, they are my own. I am a long time supporter of this team and I am always going to support them , in good and bad times. This is very bad right now, obviously. I just don't buy into the overreactions of many here, and the constant need to pin everything on the owner based on tweets, theories of media people, speculation. etc...but I know many relish that aspect.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
[QUOTE="coladin, post: 147543343, member: 91058"

“ I am a long time supporter of this team and I am always going to support them”
[/QUOTE]

It may surprise you how some of us are beyond that statement.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Looking back, I’m glad Heatley held out and refused the trade to Edmonton, thus costing Melnyk a $2 million bonus.

Good on him.
I'm glad Cooke cut Karlsson's Achilles and made Melnyk spend his money on the forensics team. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I don’t want to support a Melnyk team. He is currently the weak link. Problem is that its my team, so im not going to have much choice. That sounds kind of funny, I guess fanaticism is a bit of an addiction.

Its easy to register a protest in an online poll, but if the players generate a buzz and there’s a big game and friends and family are looking for a night out, well im probably going to go rather than watch on tv. Maybe I’ll start a Melnyk out chant or something.

Its such a shame as he came in as such a knight in shining armour, a real billionaire spending to the cap and times were good. Melnyk though really is deplorable now and unfortunately sets the tone for the organization. Thanks for the great vetting Bettman. But this seems to be the decade of the deplorables and boycotts. Just gonna have to grit our teeth and wait it out i reckon. The NHL owners club is a rogues gallery of slimeballs that think their poop don’t stink. We would hope a new owner would be better, but there’s no guarantee.

People have already started voting with their wallets though so there’s not a lot of need really to feel obligated to go with a further boycott. It wont add much more fuel to the fire that’s already burning well. I wonder how many games Melnyk will attend now and if the fans will be nice to him.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
If I go to a game this season, it's because I somehow got free tickets or I got them off of Stubhub for cheap. Not putting a dime in Melnyk's pocket.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It'd be cool if we somehow managed a home game where no one shows up.

That'd be a strong show of protest.

It's unlikely so I'm hoping for Melnyk out chants every game.

Reactions: gab6511 and Deku

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I've made my way down from Sudbury for at least a game or two every year (more if we make the playoffs) since 2006. Except last season...

No plans to go down this year either. It's a huge cost when you add everything up, along with a 5 hour drive in winter conditions.

Ask me what the reason is. Go ahead, Sens brass.

I'll be buying tickets and making travel plans the day an ownership change is announced. But not a day sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad