Finally: Grabo vs Bozak

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
5th in the east last year, and 3rd in the east... This system is doing us just fine

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
5th in the east last year, and 3rd in the east... This system is doing us just fine

This "system" is what we saw under Wilson except with excellent goaltending. Are you okay with that?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well if he watched the games he would see bozak is not a fringe NHLer and would of gotten paid as a top 6 centre on free agent day.

You know, basing your arguments on how much someone would be paid on FA day is what's laughable.

C'mon. Get real, here. This guy shouldn't be paid a shade over $3m for what he brings (no more than Stajan ever did), and everyone knows it.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
You know, basing your arguments on how much someone would be paid on FA day is what's laughable.

C'mon. Get real, here. This guy shouldn't be paid a shade over $3m for what he brings (no more than Stajan ever did), and everyone knows it.

I'm basing it on him being a valuable player that can centre any line. Grabo couldn't do that. Edit. I'm also stuffing that bozak is a second line centre and being paid like one, not a "fringe NHLer" or a "4th line" player

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I'm basing it on him being a valuable player that can centre any line. Grabo couldn't do that

How do we figure that Bozak can centre any line? He's only ever been asked to centre a star winger or two. Grabovski has centred a much greater variety of players to good success than has Bozak in their careers.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
How do we figure that Bozak can centre any line? He's only ever been asked to centre a star winger or two. Grabovski has centred a much greater variety of players to good success than has Bozak in their careers.

Kulie and MacArthur, which other wingers was he great with? I won't argue with you if you can't see and value on what bozak does. I liked grabo he just was not a fit here

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
It wasn't either. Bozak is a static variable. It was a choice between Grabovski and increasing Kadri's role both offensively and defensively and bringing in a guy like Bolland who's better suited (and more appropriately paid) to play tough two-way minutes. The cost of our centers went down and the team's offensive production is still very good. Before a freak accident/injury, Bolland was as advertised, better even. What we needed was better defensive abilities and the kinds of players who sack up when the going gets tough. Rumour is Grabovski didn't exactly relish going back on the ice during the collapse against the Bruins. Character doesn't mean as much when it's fighting the Kostitsyns in game 30-something of the regular season.

I don't know if that's entirely accurate. They traded for Bolland before the bought out Grabovski or re-signed Bozak. Clearly they traded for Bolland knowing that they were going to get rid of either Grabs or Bozak.

Here's a general question - if Bozak is so defensively responsible (etc.), why wasn't he the one playing on the third line where his total inability to contribute on offensive wasn't as important?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kulie and MacArthur, which other wingers was he great with? I won't argue with you if you can't see and value on what bozak does. I liked grabo he just was not a fit here

Grabovski saw success with Kulemin and Macarthur but also Hagman previous to that, and a revolving door of wingers once Kulemin forgot how to play, and now with Chimera and Ward in Washington. He also managed to combine with Kessel for I think 3 OT goals and a few at ES in an extremely limited number of shifts.

The fact is that Grabovski only really had one poor season in his career regardless of his wingers. We'll never know what he could have done with Kessel, Kessel+Lupul, or Kessel+JVR though so many seem convinced that it was tried and it failed. It wasn't and it didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad