Finally: Grabo vs Bozak

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
As for my reasons:
1. Grabo was never going to play with Kessel, two coaches have made it clear now.
2. Bozak was.
3. Our coaches seem determined to keep Kadri and Kessel apart as well.
3. Grabo at 5.5 is just too much for a 3c.
4. If we do upgrade at Center, Bozak at 4.2 is a better fit in the 3c and easier to move.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well one is an effective lure to keep our best player and one isn't. I'll take Bozak.

Not to mention Bozak can be moved around the lineup a lot easier. Overall I like Grabo's game, but things worked out the way they did.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Grabo 17 points in 19 games: 6G 11A . The tying goal tonight with 1:45 left in the third.

Grabo on the top line centering Kessel. Bozak not signed.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Here was the problem with Grabo, he simply did not have a place on this team:

1. Kadri usurped him on the 2nd line, playing at 75 pt pace over a full 82 season, thats far better then what Grabo has ever done

2. Grabo on the 1st line doesn't work, him and Kessel just don't click because both players want to possess the puck and lets be honest Grabo isn't good at using his linemates very well

3. Grabo is not a fit on the 3rd line, he simply isn't a defensive oriented player. His game relies on hustle and speed to back the opposition off to create chances for himself and his linemates (not via passing but it leaves them open), but him as a checking line centre no.

Really there was no other option but to get rid of him, do I agree he should have been bought out? No, he's a skilled player and Nonis should have tried to peddle him off for assets, that being said his contract was horrid.

All in all I'm glad Grabo has found a home in Washington.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Grabo made it clear he hated Carlyle and if he was still here would not be playing close to as motivated as he is in Washington.

I liked Grabo during his time here but last year his tunnel vision got worse as it went on and in the playoffs his only contribution was getting rocked by Boston over and over and giving them momentum. It seemed he lost all awareness of being in a dangerous position, or either didn't care to play a safe game.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I would have to think Bolland and Kadri would still be above him on the depth chart if he was still here. So I say Bozak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So how many Washington Capitals fans can we expect here voting.

The key here is Grabo under Carlyle was an abysmal disaster. 5.5M for 18 points last year regular and playoff combined and -20.

Not a good usage of capspace any way one looks at it.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
With almost matching his entire season's output from last year in 19 games this year, I think it's safe to say that the smart idea would've been to wait on Grabovski.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So how many Washington Capitals fans can we expect here voting.

The key here is Grabo under Carlyle was an abysmal disaster. 5.5M for 18 points last year regular and playoff combined and -20.

Not a good usage of capspace any way one looks at it.

But +\- is a redundant stat and 18pts in a half season on 3rd line is about 35-40 PTS on the season so that's like a 3rd liner anyways.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Funny. "His tunnel vision...."... yea, because that is a myth being used to mop the floor with. It's clear that he was trying to do too much himself, while playing under a coach that was unwilling to give him an opportunity unless he scored.

his skills are FAR superior to Bozak in a good number of areas, and the 48 game sample that we've had jammed down our throats, the one where he was SO BAD (.....), was a career anomale
Bozak can't even boast the career numbers that Grabo does, and he's been gifted plenty of 1st line/1st PP time.

we are a team that is piss-poor in possession, and Grabovski was a constant beacon of light in that regard.

Bozak is a passenger to the Nth degree. The stats show it, in depth analysis shows it, and watching him whiff on gifted chances, and shy away from anything resembling physicality, also shows it.

Grabovski, AINEC.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Funny. "His tunnel vision...."... yea, because that is a myth being used to mop the floor with. It's clear that he was trying to do too much himself, while playing under a coach that was unwilling to give him an opportunity unless he scored.

his skills are FAR superior to Bozak in a good number of areas, and the 48 game sample that we've had jammed down our throats, the one where he was SO BAD (.....), was a career anomale
Bozak can't even boast the career numbers that Grabo does, and he's been gifted plenty of 1st line/1st PP time.

we are a team that is piss-poor in possession, and Grabovski was a constant beacon of light in that regard.

Bozak is a passenger to the Nth degree. The stats show it, in depth analysis shows it, and watching him whiff on gifted chances, and shy away from anything resembling physicality, also shows it.

Grabovski, AINEC.
But where does he play?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Woah easy there bud, I just like listening to his detractors cherry pick stats and deem certain stats irrelevant for one plate but relevant for others.

Of course Grabo is better than Bozak. It's not even close.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Miley-Cyrus-2224429.png

Yeah, no thanks, I'll go with Grabo.

Delicious Dangles*

Let us not forget that the Grabovski option saves us a compliance buyout and thus cap space.

Even aside from this, Grabovski is better every day and twice on Sundays. You either play him on the 1st line or the 2nd line, depending on where Kadri is.

Offense is not an issue for this team, however it sure seems our pk is hurting right now missing a certain someone.
Missing one of our lesser-used PKers?

Also, even when offense isn't necessarily a problem, you should never just give it up, and you should especially never put your team in a worse financial state to do it.

It's funny how everybody called Grabovski a black hole, yet he was actually a driving force for offense, and Bozak is the REAL black hole.

"Oh no, we signed him for face-offs", they cried. 46%.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let us not forget that the Grabovski option saves us a compliance buyout and thus cap space.

Even aside from this, Grabovski is better every day and twice on Sundays. You either play him on the 1st line or the 2nd line, depending on where Kadri is.

Missing one of our lesser-used PKers?

Also, even when offense isn't necessarily a problem, you should never just give it up, and you should especially never put your team in a worse financial state to do it.

It's funny how everybody called Grabovski a black hole, yet he was actually a driving force for offense, and Bozak is the REAL black hole.

"Oh no, we signed him for face-offs", they cried. 46%.

They call him this because of crazy.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Grabos caphit is 3mil vs. 5.5 for us.

He was overpaid at the time of UFA when we should have traded him for a 1st/2nd.

Our centre depth sucked and still sucks, but grabo doesn't bring anything we don't have already. Kadri, bozak, bolland are gritty, defensive and also brings enough offense to our core centre group.

We need a bonafide #1 C and that's not grabo. Caps have backstrom so naturally he's a perfect fit as #2. There also that other Russian over there that's pretty good.

Whether keeping bozak around helped with the Kessel negotiations, we may never know -But our star player resigned here.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Grabos caphit is 3mil vs. 5.5 for us.

He was overpaid at the time of UFA when we should have traded him for a 1st/2nd.

Our centre depth sucked and still sucks, but grabo doesn't bring anything we don't have already. Kadri, bozak, bolland are gritty, defensive and also brings enough offense to our core centre group.

We need a bonafide #1 C and that's not grabo. Caps have backstrom so naturally he's a perfect fit as #2.

Numbers prove that Bozak really isn't good defensively. He should also NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as the word "gritty".

Give your head a shake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad