Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=64518&hubName=world_jrs

White among final six cuts
Canadian Press
12/16/2003

Veteran defenceman Ian White of the Swift Current Broncos was among the six players released from the Canadian junior hockey team on Tuesday morning.

The other players cut from the team were forwards Kyle Brodziak of the Moose Jaw Warriors and Corey Perry of the London Knights, goaltenders Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens and Cam Ward of the Red Deer Rebels, and defenceman Mike Egener of the Calgary Hitmen.

The roster was reduced to the 22 players who will represent Canada at the 2004 world junior hockey championship in Finland.

White, who helped Canada win a silver medal at the 2003 world junior hockey championship in Halifax, was coming off an ankle injury when he arrived at selection camp. He was unable to practise with the other players or play in intrasquad or exhibition games.

Canadian team head coach Mario Durocher decided that White would not be ready to play for Canada when it opens the tournament on Dec. 26.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
I guess the final roster looks something like this then.

2004 Canadian World Junior Team

Goaltenders (2)
Marc-Andre Fleury
Josh Harding

Defence (7)
Shawn Belle
Braydon Coburn
Josh Gorges
Kevin Klein
Derek Meech
Dion Phaneuf
Brent Seabrook

Forwards (13)
Tim Brent
Brent Burns
Jeff Carter
Jeremy Colliton
Sidney Crosby
Nigel Dawes
Stephen Dixon
Ryan Getzlaf
Daniel Paille
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Maxime Talbot
Jeff Tambellini

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Havlat9 said:
I'm very surprised that Corey Perry got cut from the team - I didn't get to see the games against the OUA - am I the only surprised person?

and Brodziak with an ever better performance at camp.

But hey, Durochers has his two QMJHL players in Talbot & Dixon instead of them. Great :shakehead

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
How did Colliton make this team? Why are they ignoring the guys with actual skill, especially when they had better camps?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
and Brodziak with an ever better performance at camp.

But hey, Durochers has his two QMJHL players in Talbot & Dixon instead of them. Great :shakehead

This is a fairly ridiculous implication. There have been several Q players cut, including Deslauriers today. Dixon and Talbot had strong camps, and their spots were deserved in my opinion.

I'm disappointed to see Brodziak cut and I'd rather have seen him there than a few players, but I'm not surprised. I'm very pleased to see Klein make the team.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Mike8 said:
This is a fairly ridiculous implication. There have been several Q players cut, including Deslauriers today. Dixon and Talbot had strong camps, and their spots were deserved in my opinion.

I'm disappointed to see Brodziak cut and I'd rather have seen him there than a few players, but I'm not surprised. I'm very pleased to see Klein make the team.

We'll have a better indication when the dust settles, but i think the final cuts at forward were very poor. The fact that a guy like Brodziak was an unknown before camp certainly worked against him, and it appears that no matter the type of camp he put up, he was going home, because he was excellent by all accounts. I digress.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Goaltenders (2)
Marc-Andre Fleury
Josh Harding

Defence (7)
Shawn Belle
Braydon Coburn
Josh Gorges
Kevin Klein
Derek Meech
Dion Phaneuf
Brent Seabrook

Forwards (13)
Tim Brent
Brent Burns
Jeff Carter
Jeremy Colliton
Sidney Crosby
Nigel Dawes
Stephen Dixon
Ryan Getzlaf
Daniel Paille
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Maxime Talbot
Jeff Tambellini

Flyers represent!!

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Seachd said:
How did Colliton make this team? Why are they ignoring the guys with actual skill, especially when they had better camps?

Character means quite a bit as well.
This isn't an all-star game. It's a tournament.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
How would you guys compare this team to Canada's teams previous years?

I must admit that there are quite a few names there that I am unfamiliar with (Josh Gorges, Brent Burns, Tim Brent, Jeremy Colliton, Nigel Dawes, Stephen Dixon).
Is this year's team a bit weaker "on the paper" than in previous years or does it hold up pretty good?
thanks

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
To me, it looks like they went on a little more than just the exhibition games.

Glad Talbot, Dixon, and Fleury made it. I was a little worried about Fleury's chances...:p

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
politics yet again :rant:
the politics of 2 French Canadian goalies happened again this year too i hope it blows up in their face like last year

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
HemskyFreak83 said:
the politics of 2 French Canadian goalies happened again this year too i hope it blows up in their face like last year

Aside from being an Oilers fan, don't ya think that Harding could possibly be just as good as Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers?

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
slats432 said:
Aside from being an Oilers fan, don't ya think that Harding could possibly be just as good as Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers?

actually yes I do
from what I saw,heard, and read, JDD deserves to be the back up and yes and I did the same with Harding

but still I hope it blows up in thier faces

Munchausen

HemskyFreak83 said:

You seem to be struggling understanding the concept of "politics"...

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Teezax said:
Goaltenders (2)
Marc-Andre Fleury
Josh Harding

Defence (7)
Shawn Belle
Braydon Coburn
Josh Gorges
Kevin Klein
Derek Meech
Dion Phaneuf
Brent Seabrook

Forwards (13)
Tim Brent
Brent Burns
Jeff Carter
Jeremy Colliton
Sidney Crosby
Nigel Dawes
Stephen Dixon
Ryan Getzlaf
Daniel Paille
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Maxime Talbot
Jeff Tambellini

Flyers represent!!

All I can say is that Fluery had better get ready to do some handstands because were going to get outshot about 2 to 1 by the Russians. Burns, Tambellini, Getzlaf, Crosby and maybe Richards are the only offense we have. Phaneuf will be forced to play huge minutes. This is one team that's been damaged by the NHL not releasing players. Imagine Nash, Bouchard, Staal, Horton, Bergeron on the team.

Jeremy Colliton? He's supposed to shut down Ovechkin? LOL

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
No surprises on the Captain and the Assistants:

Head coach Mario Durocher also announced that Daniel Paillé (Welland, ON/Guelph, OHL), will be the team’s captain. Assistant captains will be Tim Brent (Cambridge, ON/ Toronto St. Michael’s, OHL) and Maxime Talbot (St-Bruno, QC/ Gatineau, QMJHL).

Bud The Spud*

HemskyFreak83 said:

Isn't it possible that they truly believe Harding will be a better backup for the tournament? I really did think Drouin-Delauriers would be the backup though. Did anybody else expect the same?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Bud The Spud said:
Isn't it possible that they truly believe Harding will be a better backup for the tournament? I really did think Drouin-Delauriers would be the backup though. Did anybody else expect the same?

To me, Deslauriers looked weak in the second intrasquad game. He had 0 rebound control, and got lucky that more goals wern't scored against him. And I don't think you want the CLEAR backup playing a very different style from the main guy, cause it simply causes confusion amongst the defense.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
the only cut that especially disappoints me is Brodziak.

He was a longshot going in, understood, but what I don't understand is why they bother invitiing him at all if they don't give him a fair chance to make the club. From what I've read it sounds like he deserved to make the squad as much as anyone, but it can't help to have been a 7th rounder.

nordique

Predatore said:
How would you guys compare this team to Canada's teams previous years?

I must admit that there are quite a few names there that I am unfamiliar with (Josh Gorges, Brent Burns, Tim Brent, Jeremy Colliton, Nigel Dawes, Stephen Dixon).
Is this year's team a bit weaker "on the paper" than in previous years or does it hold up pretty good?
thanks

Brent Burns has been playing in the NHL with the Wild, so he's pretty easy to check up on. Tim Brent is the star of the St. Mike's Majors and Anaheim property - their 2nd round pick in 2002 - not a big guy but a solid two-way player. Dawes is tiny (5'8") and is Rangers property, but is a scoring machine. Colliton was the Isles' 2nd round pick last year, good in the corners but not a huge offensive threat. Gorges is Shark property, a decent overall player, good passer. Dixon was a laaaaaate pick by Pittsburgh, plays for Cape Breton in the Q, good faceoff guy, quick, good passer, not a finisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad