GDT: Final GDT, Stars @ Hawks, 7 PM CT, NBCSN

Are you happy or surprised with the outcome of the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Finally, the seaason will be over. It was an exciting run for a while when the youngins and the vets were overachieving. There were a few surprises among the rookies (Lankinen, Suter, Hagel, Kurashev for a while) and the vets (Cat taking major strides to becoming a 2 way player, Kane being Kane - maybe not a surprise, Keith dropping off quite a bit).
But all in all it was a season where the team just ran out of gas despite playing well for about half the season.
Now we look forward to the off season (We are slotted to either pick 13th or 14th depending on the luck of the lottery balls). The CAP will stay flat for at least another year so we will have to juggle who gets a contract and under which terms (RFA, UFA) and who stays on LTIR next season.

I honestly expect another win tonight because we have owned the Stars. That´s it.

Sorry, 1st time I have done a poll and I messed it up and had to add 4 more choices. I could not edit the original question & choices. :(

GO HAWKS!!!

Our emotions this year:

hawks season rc.gif

My advice:

next year.png

Possible Lineups:

hawks lineup 10052021.png

Lottery standings (What it looks like and what it will probably be plus a W or L which won´t change the final position all that much)

hawks lottery 2021.png

Last edited:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I voted happy and surprised. I expected the kids to get a look but I was not expecting a lot of wins after the Dach and Toews news. I think they over performed and I while I expected to see DeBrincat's goal scoring pick up again, I did not expect his defensive game to improve so much.

Also some nice surprises with the kids in Lankinen, Hagel and Kalynuk who was not even on my radar.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Anybody taking stock of the season put any value at all on the fact that we owned the Stars, last year's Stanley Cup runner up? :dunno::dunno:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Anybody taking stock of the season put any value at all on the fact that we owned the Stars, last year's Stanley Cup runner up? :dunno::dunno:
Well, they've missed Seguin for most of the season, and Radulov for the last while.

We've played well against the Stars all season and we actually finish the season with more wins than them, though the have two more regulation wins. They have 14 OT/SO losses which is why they're ahead in points and five over-time wins. We have 15 regulation wins, nine OT/SO wins and six OT losses, but four of them were in January.

I think the Stars and the Hawks performed pretty comparably this season. We performed better against Dallas and Columbus and Dallas performed better against Nashville. Both our teams struggled against the Canes, Tampa and Florida.

It's so hard to get a read on the season though without having played more teams. Say Tampa finishes third in the division, how much better are they than say Winnipeg who is going to finish third in the north? If Winnipeg is closer to Dallas than Carolina and they were in our division the season would have worked out differently for us.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
IF

CGY (4GR) wins out =57 points
PHI loses (1GR) = 56 or57 points (OTL)
L.A .(3GR( wins out =54 points
CHI loses in regulation 54 points
CHI wins in regulation = 56 points.
CHI OTL = 55points.

If CH and L.A. tie atv54 points ,L A gets tgevtie breaker with more wins.

A PHI win in regulation=58 points and they would have the highest points total of all tgse teams and draft behind all of them.

So as you can see there are scenarios remaining where Hawks draft pre-lotto anywhere from 10th to 13th.

It makes no difference that Seattle is added in because Arizona is deducted out.

PHI plays NJ today in its final game.

CGY has a 4 game set vs.Vancouver.

L.A. Plays STL tonight in L.A.then has 2 with tge Avs...of which tge Avs will rest stars no doubt in the last game...maybe sone better players for both.

We will know more after tonight.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Honestly, I'm not too surprised as to where they ended up in the standing, but I'm happy and surprised at some of the individual play:

Hagel turned into the kind of player you want on the team--he doesn't ever take a shift off and leaves it all on the ice. Even though he is a rookie, he's the type of player that all others players should emulate irrespective of skill level.
Lankinen shows a lot of promise. He's had his ups and downs but his ups were higher than I thought they'd be. I think if he works on calming down and keeping his net he'll be great moving forward.
Debrincat was a force this year--in the 1st year of his newer, more expensive deal nonetheless.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
YES

definite optimism

progress was made with integrating youth, which was if everyone remembers the goal of this season

They were comfortably in 4th for quite a while til underachieving Nashville woke up and Dallas decided to start playing games

Overall our records vs some of our 'new' Central division rivals failed us

6-2-0 vs DET
6-2-0 vs CBJ
3-4-1 vs CAR
2-4-2 vs FLA
1-6-1 vs TB

18-18-4 total

Meanwhile our 'old' Central division rivals

5-2-0 so far vs DAL
1-5-2 vs NAS

6-7-2 total so far

Middle of the road

7-19-6 vs the top four
17-6-0 vs the other three

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Better than I thought after that horrendous start in Florida.
Then a bright spot feasting on Detroit and Columbus.
Then the reality of a poorly performing defense set in.

All in all it was what I expected and we have a lot of holes to fill.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
What exactly should they have done differently? He didn’t play well. Period.
He played well to start, then he started to falter and they let him try to play through it, then he played worse and they had him take some time off. Then he came back and still played like ass. I'm not sure what more Musto wants from the Hawks regarding Mitchell.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Tgereciscno wayvtgey can okay Mitchell with Beausin as a pairing...2 smallish pmd dnen = not strong enough to take guysvout on the boards or shovevthem out in front of the crease.

Syan made a strategic draft bkunderxwhe gecstocked 4 smaller pmd types so close together in drafts...

Did he think Jokiharju Mitchell Boqvist and Beaudin orceven 3vofvthem would form the backbone if a dominant Hawks dcorps?

Insanity and strategic mistake.

May eclectic gwtcawaycwith justc2 smaller pmd types.. but it hasbecoe obvious we shoukd have draftedcnore well sized dmen in a balancecwithe tgebpmds and more spread out over more draftscin tgecratiob to first and 2nd round smaller pmds.

The NHL is primarily a big boys league..and Stan thinking these smaller pmds would get Strong Enough overcrimecthatvtgey coujd "handle" bigger nhlnforwards has proven a massive blunder.

Somehow Stan thought having 4 Duncan Keith's or at least 3 of that type(except ofvcourse not are as good as Keith when he was in his prime period of the Cup years)was a recipient for more Cups...hecwas greatly deluded...

We shoukd not be carrying morecthan 2vpmds in our 3 d pairings..

The other four shoukd be 3 2way dmen with some size and 1 SAH defensive at homevspecialust ..

That ought to be the balance..but instead Stan thought hecwas smarter than other GMs who probably would have gonevthevroutexI just outlined.

So basically Stan "put his eggs alk in 1 basket " trying to replicate Keith by 4......bit he got us off track doingvthat and here we are the fans actualky thinking we will have 3 "core" smaller pmds to get us Cups goibg dirward(Boqvist Mitchell Beaudin).

I think we shoukdckerpbBeaudin andctradectgebitgerc2cfor 2 way bigger dmen that van both handle the bigger forwards in battkesxandcstill givevus more offense than sau Murphy or Zadorov do.

We need this bigger but 2xwayvdmen.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Should have been top pairing, and had power play time.

They didn't put him in the ideal scenario to flourish and show what he can do.
In Rockford? I'm being serious. The Hawks have a habit of rushing prospects of late and the speed of the game and travel lift in the NHL are quite the adjustment from the the collegiate level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad