World Cup: FINAL: France vs. Croatia, 7/15/2018

Who wins the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Howard Webb, who reffed the 2010 final says no penalty.
:laugh:
Webb says no penalty.
That should convince everyone it was a penalty.

Frankly, people should watch the replay again. Perisic goes full handball mode, lanches his hand towards the ball as Matuidi misses his header.

Anyway, I remember vividly, right after the 98 final, I drove back home and changed the radio stations, and somehow wanted foreign opinions on it.
I tuned to BBC.
And what I heard is sill to this day a fond memory. English "pundits" saying how France didn't deserve to win, that it was the worst WC final ever (remember, the previous WC final was 94 ! ), etc...
So if english pundits are saying it was not a penalty, it's not highly surprising, and maybe some people need to change their source of information if they can't make their opinion by their own.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Once brazil germany and even Spain were out. Had very little doubt France would take it. It's a good thing England didn't get to somehow play France....they would have gotten a schilacking..
"Vive La France" ( not that I really care that France won but congrats to them anyhow)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So we learnt today that Ngolo Kante was actually sick during the final. "enteritis gastritis" is how they call it in english I think.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
France's goals:
1 - Set piece from a flop/dive
2 - PK from a controversial hand ball
3 - Save-able 25 yard shot
4 - Save-able 30 yard shot

Croatia's goals:
1 - Great passing then a great first touch after a set piece
2 - Lucky/fluke play from a bad decision by the French goalie

If both the goalies didn't play like ****, and the refs don't blow the calls, this game is 1-1 or 1-0 in Croatia's favor.

You’re right, let’s call FIFA and tell them to give the trophy to Croatia. “Save-able shots” but not for one of the best goalies in the tournament. All utter nonsense.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
:laugh:
Webb says no penalty.
That should convince everyone it was a penalty.

Frankly, people should watch the replay again. Perisic goes full handball mode, lanches his hand towards the ball as Matuidi misses his header.

Anyway, I remember vividly, right after the 98 final, I drove back home and changed the radio stations, and somehow wanted foreign opinions on it.
I tuned to BBC.
And what I heard is sill to this day a fond memory. English "pundits" saying how France didn't deserve to win, that it was the worst WC final ever (remember, the previous WC final was 94 ! ), etc...
So if english pundits are saying it was not a penalty, it's not highly surprising, and maybe some people need to change their source of information if they can't make their opinion by their own.

I can just imagine this board after ‘98

“Well if Zidane had a normal sized head, the game would have stayed 0-0!”

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I can just imagine this board after ‘98

“Well if Zidane had a normal sized head, the game would have stayed 0-0!”

What kind of post-game discussions do you find interesting? I am assuming there are some since you wandered into this thread.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Again, after the replay I can't understand how some people are denying the penalty.
Not only is he preventing a chance by growing the surface of his body, but his movement actually hints it was deliberate.

Reactions: le_sean

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Putin on picture with Croatian team :)

DiKtEAcW0AApInc.jpg

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
I think France deserved to win in the sense that they were the best team throughout, but you logic is so flawed I don't know where to begin (one could question your seriousness). Would they have scored 4 with a proper ref? Probably not (obviously I can't say no as no-one would know how the game would have developed). Does goals influence games? Yes. Hardly a given that they will get the 3rd or the 4th if for example the first free kick is not given or the penalty.

If we assume it is 1-1 instead of 2-1 France half way through the first half we have all seen how good Croatia are at defending.
I was being very serious, thanks for your concern. I did see a clear handball, and I did see a clearly looser pressing in the 2nd half.

I understand it’s very hard since I make so little sense to you apparently but can you do your best and show me what extremely flawed logic I am using?

I mean, is your logic that much more solid than mine when your entire argument rests on hypotheticals and questioning fouls that led to French goals? No wonder we don’t see eye to eye since both fouls are good calls in my book, and that’s not logic by the way, that’s my opinion.

Anyway, looking forward to your exposing my alledged logical flaws.

Reactions: le_sean

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Alright I was a bit emotionally invested in the final while watching, but at the end of the day France took the opportunities that they had and Croatia just didn't create enough despite their possession. I think that France were fortunate to be up 2-1 at the half, but the best teams make their own luck and all the bounces went France's way in this one.

The first goal was still the most unfortunate part, because it should never have been a free kick, and then the own goal reared its ugly head. However, the 2nd goal was impossible not to call a penalty with review available. As much as he probably didn't even see it until the last second, which caused a reflex to bring his arm down, his movement did go directly toward the ball's path and whether it was intentional or not it has to be called a penalty there.

In the second half even though Croatia came out strong, you could see they were beginning to wither and France's 3rd goal (beautifully taken by Pogba, after a fortunate bounce left it at his feet) was what broke them. Yes, Lloris had a blunder to give them a small spark of hope after Mbappe's goal but at the end I think Pogba's goal gave that sense of inevitability of a French win.

Congratulations to France, deserved winners. You don't have to play the most beautiful soccer to be effective and they showed that in this tournament. They were structured, and took their opportunities at every stage. When you have Mbappé and Griezmann to hit with on the counter, and the type of defence and midfield that France have, it makes it difficult to break through and you eventually have to leave yourself a bit open to try.

France have a very talented and young team and they have a very special window for themselves over the next 6 to 8 years, especially with Mbappé going into his prime.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I was being very serious, thanks for your concern. I did see a clear handball, and I did see a clearly looser pressing in the 2nd half.

I understand it’s very hard since I make so little sense to you apparently but can you do your best and show me what extremely flawed logic I am using?

I mean, is your logic that much more solid than mine when your entire argument rests on hypotheticals and questioning fouls that led to French goals? No wonder we don’t see eye to eye since both fouls are good calls in my book, and that’s not logic by the way, that’s my opinion.

Anyway, looking forward to your exposing my alledged logical flaws.

You are trolling right?

The game would be played in a completely different way if France are never given that free kick at 1-0 or that penalty at 2-1. Croatia would be more than happy to sit back after 39mins and 1-1. In such a scenario it is highly unlikely (not impossible) that France ever score 4. So yes - your "logic" is rather absurd. Before the penalty France isn't under heavy pressure, but neither are they creating anything themselves. Croatia would be more than happy with patiently attacking without taking much risk. A type of game Croatia are extremely good at playing.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
1 - First of all, did Greizmann fall easily? Yes. But he was definitely touched and it's a call most refs make. If Mandzukic does not score in his own net, no one mentions it.

2- Kante did NOT TOUCH the Croatian player that led to their free kick goal. On top of that he got a yellow card.

3- In real time I did not see the handball but on the replay it was a clear handball and was it in a natural movement? That's a judgement call the ref made after seeing the replay and he said it was a penalty. I was watching the game with people who were cheering for Croatia and they agreed, after seeing the replay, it will most likely be a penalty.

3- France took advantage of their chances and buried them in the second half. Pogba and Mbappe scored beauties and that's all she wrote.

Bottom line France deserved to win.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
1 - First of all, did Greizmann fall easily? Yes. But he was definitely touched and it's a call most refs make. If Mandzukic does not score in his own net, no one mentions it.

2- Kante did NOT TOUCH the Croatian player that led to their free kick goal. On top of that he got a yellow card.

3- In real time I did not see the handball but on the replay it was a clear handball and was it in a natural movement? That's a judgement call the ref made after seeing the replay and he said it was a penalty. I was watching the game with people who were cheering for Croatia and they agreed, after seeing the replay, it will most likely be a penalty.

3- France took advantage of their chances and buried them in the second half. Pogba and Mbappe scored beauties and that's all she wrote.

Bottom line France deserved to win.

Well said.

Don’t extend your arm with your hand open and track the ball with said arm in the penalty area. It’s a clear penalty.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Griezmann was already going down and kicked out with his leg to try and grab contact. It was the same as Neymar's attempted penalty in the Belgian game. Clever dive, but not a foul at all.

If you're talking about the yellow card foul you should rewatch the play. He was running behind him and clipped his heel. Not intentional, but a clear foul and also a yellow card because of it being on a dangerous break.

Yes it was a penalty.

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
Kante touched the guy when he ran behind him. It’s a foul. Card may be harsh, whatever.

You are trolling right?

The game would be played in a completely different way if France are never given that free kick at 1-0 or that penalty at 2-1. Croatia would be more than happy to sit back after 39mins and 1-1. In such a scenario it is highly unlikely (not impossible) that France ever score 4. So yes - your "logic" is rather absurd. Before the penalty France isn't under heavy pressure, but neither are they creating anything themselves. Croatia would be more than happy with patiently attacking without taking much risk. A type of game Croatia are extremely good at playing.
I was never talking about how the game would have gone had the initial goals not been scored. I only talked about what did happen, and how I don’t view these foul calls as bad or unfair. It’s not logic, it’s opinion. Then I observed that Croatia stopped pressing as hard leading to France having more chances, and hypothesised that it was due to fatigue.

I don’t deny that the game is different if France doesn’t score the first goal due to the foul not being called. I just think it’s pointless to make up fantasy scenarios like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad