World Cup: FINAL: France vs. Croatia, 7/15/2018

Who wins the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Playing much better football meaning what? Made some good crosses but couldn't generate much shots on net?

Lloris made one big save at the start of the second half. In the first half, besides the goal from the set piece, Croatia did not generate a shot on Lloris.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
1 - First of all, did Greizmann fall easily? Yes. But he was definitely touched and it's a call most refs make. If Mandzukic does not score in his own net, no one mentions it.

2- Kante did NOT TOUCH the Croatian player that led to their free kick goal. On top of that he got a yellow card.

3- In real time I did not see the handball but on the replay it was a clear handball and was it in a natural movement? That's a judgement call the ref made after seeing the replay and he said it was a penalty. I was watching the game with people who were cheering for Croatia and they agreed, after seeing the replay, it will most likely be a penalty.

3- France took advantage of their chances and buried them in the second half. Pogba and Mbappe scored beauties and that's all she wrote.

Bottom line France deserved to win.

Kante barely clipped his leg which caused him to trip. But that was an extremely weak yellow card to give. It wasn't on purpose, it wasnt preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity (France had 3 defenders before goal) and it wasn't aggressive. Terrible yellow that ruined Kante's style for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Playing much better football meaning what? Made some good crosses but couldn't generate much shots on net?

Playing better football as in France couldn't do squat in the first half. Did you watch the game?
Every Frenchmen will admit it. They got a couple of favorable calls, defended well like they always do and did what great teams do at times - win out despite being outplayed.

Penalty broke the game, 3rd goal killed it.
France were deserved winners, but had Croatia had more luck and won it, definitely would not have been undeserved.

This French team is built on defensive perfection and power and speed up front.
If you score against them, your chances increase as they have to open up. But if you have to chase the score, odds get smaller and smaller by the minute.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
That third goal by Pogba was just outstanding. The build up from the throw in, the pass up to Mbappe from Pogba, Mbappe dancing in the box, finding Griezman, and then Pogba sticking with it and finishing with this left foot.

Just amazing team and individual play.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Playing better football as in France couldn't do squat in the first half. Did you watch the game?
Every Frenchmen will admit it. They got a couple of favorable calls, defended well like they always do and did what great teams do at times - win out despite being outplayed.

Penalty broke the game, 3rd goal killed it.
France were deserved winners, but had Croatia had more luck and won it, definitely would not have been undeserved.

This French team is built on defensive perfection and power and speed up front.
If you score against them, your chances increase as they have to open up. But if you have to chase the score, odds get smaller and smaller by the minute.

Croatia played better in the first half agreed. France were opportunists and then blew it open in the second half.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Haha yup. People only look at possession like its the important stat. Its what you do with it. Croatia did nothing.

They had two great chances in the second half. First one was the save from Lloris and second missed the net. Their only goal in the half was a fluke/brainfart by Lloris.

First half they played much better than France but besides their goal, did not generate a shot on net or a clear chance. France were opportunists in the first half but that’s what great teams do.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Croatia played better in the first half agreed. France were opportunists and then blew it open in the second half.

That's my whole point.
And it's much easier to kill the game and blow it open when you're leading 2-1 and the other team has to chase the score.

Like I said, the penalty broke the game, the 3rd goal killed it. Croatia were dead in the water after the Pogba goal, it broke them, fatigue set in, and Lloris' mistake never really mattered one bit.

Counting great chances vs this French team is the wrong way to go. They are a defensive juggernaut.
If you have luck run the other way and the ref give a penalty of that sort in the WC final, odds are gonna be stacked in their favor.

Again... France are deserved winner, a great young team. But no penalty, Croatia don't have to chase the score, who knows what happens.
No Griezmann dive, France doesn't score, who knows...

It is what it is, we're proud, we're grateful to these boys, but France are winners. Deserved winners.

I just came back from the welcoming parade in my part of the city, and the boys are still to reach the city square, I think there's about 500,000 people on the streets and square combined.
Was waiting on the square but they're running late and my 1-year old doesn't have the patience.
Scenes are absolutely incredible, never in my life have I seen anything like it. Not even on TV lol...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Guys still haven't made the square. Zagreb has about 1 milion people, it is reported that between 300000 and 400000 people there, just insane. The main street is filled with people and the guys need to go through there. These guys deserve it though.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Guys still haven't made the square. Zagreb has about 1 milion people, it is reported that between 300000 and 400000 people there, just insane. The main street is filled with people and the guys need to go through there. These guys deserve it though.

The footage looks insane. Hero's welcome indeed. :thumbu:

Live feed..

Nothing like cranking a little Prljavo Kazaliste.

UŽIVO Igrači stali kod vatrogasaca u Savskoj po osvježenje: Još kilometar do Trga, ali ispred njih su deseci tisuća ljudi u Frankopanskoj i Ilici!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's my whole point.
And it's much easier to kill the game and blow it open when you're leading 2-1 and the other team has to chase the score.

Like I said, the penalty broke the game, the 3rd goal killed it. Croatia were dead in the water after the Pogba goal, it broke them, fatigue set in, and Lloris' mistake never really mattered one bit.

Counting great chances vs this French team is the wrong way to go. They are a defensive juggernaut.
If you have luck run the other way and the ref give a penalty of that sort in the WC final, odds are gonna be stacked in their favor.

Again... France are deserved winner, a great young team. But no penalty, Croatia don't have to chase the score, who knows what happens.
No Griezmann dive, France doesn't score, who knows...

It is what it is, we're proud, we're grateful to these boys, but France are winners. Deserved winners.

I just came back from the welcoming parade in my part of the city, and the boys are still to reach the city square, I think there's about 500,000 people on the streets and square combined.
Was waiting on the square but they're running late and my 1-year old doesn't have the patience.
Scenes are absolutely incredible, never in my life have I seen anything like it. Not even on TV lol...
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-fifa-world-cup.2491543/page-39#post-148224593

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He didn't JUST get on the bus...

Sadly these things are not out of norm, not here not in the neighbouring countries, nor across Europe. The rise of right wing nationalism is a cancer that is spreading without a cure in sight.

Honestly spoiled an amazing experience. Rakitic and others don't share his views though, after all Ivan's best friend is Krstajic. It's just that sadly these people always seem to get into the mix.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Big PR mistake IMO by Rakitic. He needs to be clear and stay away from those racists POS. These guys are embassadors for their youth.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Like Ivan13 said, it's complicated... It's also not untrue.

The guy has one song that is sort of an anthem for all our national teams, but he became famous during the war.
And although I love them to bits, these boys are mostly uneducated, very religious and a lot of them are refugees.
Half of them don't even understand the problem with this singer (who is definitely far right and should never be part of these events).

It's a sad state of our country's current political situation (like everywhere in Europe, far right is on the rise), but not of Rakitic's political stand.
Nor any of the guys. To them, he's a guy who sings and makes songs about Croatia.
They do not appreciate (or cannot) the problems that he represents.

TLDR; The singer shouldn't be there, no. But don't blame Rakitic and the guys, they honestly don't look at it that way.

Reactions: Ivan13

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Lloris made one big save at the start of the second half. In the first half, besides the goal from the set piece, Croatia did not generate a shot on Lloris.
They generated a nice goal from Perisic and had 7 shots to one for France attempts. France could barely get out of there own half. They scored 2 goals by pure luck. Croatia should have been at the worst tied 1-1.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
They generated a nice goal from Perisic and had 7 shots to one for France attempts. France could barely get out of there own half. They scored 2 goals by pure luck. Croatia should have been at the worst tied 1-1.

Croatia just couldn’t capitalize. Champions score. Only losers say « oh look, we had more possession and play during this and this. » Bottom line is Croatia scored one real goal during the game and France scored 3 real goals (if you take away the PK).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->