Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not a lot new shown in the most recent trailer, but I will say that the dialogue sounds much more re-assuring, pallet-able, true to the original, and not nearly as cringe-y as in previous trailers. Good sign. Nailed early Cloud's cocky, stand-offish personality, and the promise thing didn't sound nearly as cheesy as it could have and did in the original.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not a lot new shown in the most recent trailer, but I will say that the dialogue sounds much more re-assuring, pallet-able, true to the original, and not nearly as cringe-y as in previous trailers. Good sign. Nailed early Cloud's cocky, stand-offish personality, and the promise thing didn't sound nearly as cheesy as it could have and did in the original.

I feel the exact same way. I was disappointed by the lack of new information in the trailer but was thrilled to see that the voice acting isn't going to be a cringe fest.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still 3 months. They haven't even begun showing the juicy stuff yet. Full hype mode will start 2 months before release (probably not until they are 100% sure there will be no delays)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Late winter/spring gonna be hard on my wallet

Final Fantasy VII & Persona 5 are 2 of my 3 favorite games of all-time.

*looks at March release schedule*

iu

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It appears as if a demo is coming in January. Multiple outlets are reporting it but this guy does a good job of summing up ALL the information. Also, the game size as of right now is roughly 77.5 GB. The demo is roughly 11 GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Sqeenix is adding/updating the story? Sweet! Can Aeris survive this time? Jkjk I was always team Tifa....though I felt that that relationship (her and Cloud) was incomplete but I think many fanboys and girls appreciate that aspect not going the classic happy ending route. I always felt for her though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just about perfectly adapted intro, IMO. The music in particular, and the minor tweaks have just the right amount of setup thematically.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A lot of gameplay of the demo was leaked on YouTube.

Still unsure how to feel about this whole thing. I remain adamant that this would be more exciting if it was FFXVI, so much of these games is their plot, hard to get pumped when I already know it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I saw the leaked demo (or at least, a version of it which didn't really show everything-- there was a gap in the middle and a montage at the end), and the in-game stuff was a lot more questionable than the opening was. There's a bit of awkwardness and clunkiness to the exchanges/transitions, but not as much as there could have been. They do make one meaningful ret-con in the story that I did think was just total trash, personally.

From what I saw, it looked like they absolve Avalanche of the responsibility of blowing up Sector 1/killing many innocent bystanders and made it so that Shinra is mostly responsible (in pretty much the same way that they took the plate down in order to frame them later on). That removes so much of the interesting moral grey area that the original had, the guilt/responsibility that Barrett's supposed to come to terms with, not to mention the validity of Reeves/Cait Sith's perspective. Instead it kind of becomes "We didn't really do anything wrong, but we're indirectly responsible because we caused Shinra to do it." Pretty lame. It just strikes me as taking a unique and interesting dynamic and cowardly reducing it to something generic/typical/completely unnecessary in an almost Disney-fied, Greedo-shot-first way.

Some people won't find this to be huge deal-breaker (just like Sephiroth appearing early), but these are the kinds of changes that I dreaded about the remake, personally. Hopefully we don't see more of these types of things as more of the game is revealed.

Edit: Apparently a whole crop of full game data has been leaked by data mining the demo. What a mess for SE.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The only positive to these spoilers is that all the youtubers I follow who are covering this are saying that everything is phenomenal. Most of them aren't actually regurgitating these leaks and are condemning the spread of the leaks but those who have seen it are raving about it.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. It is so ridiculous. Even video of the ending of the first game has been leaked and I think that was pulled from the game itself. They didn't just upload the demo, they uploaded the full game and I am guessing someone managed to unlock it.
I've been following this and I don't think the full game is technically what was data mined/unlocked-- It's the fact that Square didn't thoroughly scrub remnants of the full game when creating the demo and that what was leaked/data mined. That's why the demo leak itself is polished and perfect but a lot of the full game leaks looked very janky and unfinished-- it's not the final product-- it's just early build artifacts.
The only positive to these spoilers is that all the youtubers I follow who are covering this are saying that everything is phenomenal. Most of them aren't actually regurgitating these leaks and are condemning the spread of the leaks but those who have seen it are raving about it.
For the record, I saw one major leaked thing that I thought was conceptually a very poor and regrettable decision, but other than that, everything technical/presentation-wise looks pretty great/accurate, and people who just want a fun game or don't hold the story in high regard likely won't care. Also on the positive end, some of the potential changes that people dreaded and expected were actually revealed to not be entirely the case, and some other changes made a lot of sense to me, so maybe it evens out?

Also, while I agree that not supporting the leaks is admirable, a lot of the blame should also be placed on Square/PSN for a lot of the negligence that allowed the leak to happen in the first place. This wasn't a case where some rogue employee who worked on the game leaked data (which you can't really protect from). This was a case where random technologically-savvy members of the public were able to obtain it from what was made available and (at least somewhat) unprotected online.

For something as big as FFVIIR, if you expose the information that easily without sufficient safe-guards, it's inevitably going to be leaked.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've been following this and I don't think the full game is technically what was data mined/unlocked-- It's the fact that Square didn't thoroughly scrub remnants of the full game when creating the demo and that what was leaked/data mined. That's why the demo leak itself is polished and perfect but a lot of the full game leaks looked very janky and unfinished-- it's not the final product-- it's just early build artifacts.
For the record, I saw one major leaked thing that I thought was conceptually a very poor and regrettable decision, but other than that, everything technical/presentation-wise looks pretty great/accurate, and people who just want a fun game or don't hold the story in high regard likely won't care. Also on the positive end, some of the potential changes that people dreaded and expected were actually revealed to not be entirely the case, and some other changes made a lot of sense to me, so maybe it evens out?

Also, while I agree that not supporting the leaks is admirable, a lot of the blame should also be placed on Square/PSN for a lot of the negligence that allowed the leak to happen in the first place. This wasn't a case where some rogue employee who worked on the game leaked data (which you can't really protect from). This was a case where random technologically-savvy members of the public were able to obtain it from what was made available.

They did datamine the demo but Square also uploaded the full game to the PSN store around the same time they did the demo. There were rumors that full game had been cracked and data mined as well. Maybe those turned out to be false and it all really was pulled from the demo.

Regarding the bold... I 100% agree. This is absolutely SE/PSN error. I'm just happy that a sizable portion of the gaming community is doing the right thing by not spreading the information.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They did datamine the demo but Square also uploaded the full game to the PSN store around the same time they did the demo. There were rumors that full game had been cracked and data mined as well. Maybe those turned out to be false and it all really was pulled from the demo.

Regarding the bold... I 100% agree. This is absolutely SE/PSN error. I'm just happy that a sizable portion of the gaming community is doing the right thing by not spreading the information.
Right, the full game has been uploaded, but everything that has been leaked so far leads me to believe that it hasn't been cracked or meaningfully revealed in any way other than knowing its file size. They're probably working on it though.

The rumors came from the fact that non-demo material was being leaked, but everything that has been leaked so far seems to be coming from the demo (which was exposed/cracked to a degree where it's outright fully playable on a PS4) and the non-playable early-build artifacts that exist within the demo that were data mined. They give hints and rough/incomplete/texturally wonky visuals of what will be in the full game. If the full game had been cracked, we would be seeing more polished non-demo material rather than raw assets/screens with weird lighting/textures and nude NPC models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Right, the full game has been uploaded, but everything that has been leaked so far leads me to believe that it hasn't been cracked or meaningfully revealed in any way other than knowing its file size. They're probably working on it though.

The rumors came from the fact that non-demo material was being leaked, but everything that has been leaked so far seems to be coming from the demo (which was exposed/cracked to a degree where it's outright fully playable on a PS4) and the non-playable early-build artifacts that exist within the demo that were data mined. They give hints and rough/incomplete/texturally wonky visuals of what will be in the full game. If the full game had been cracked, we would be seeing more polished non-demo material rather than raw assets/screens with weird lighting/textures and nude NPC models.

Ahh. I didn't personally look at the screenshots because I really have no desire to have this game spoiled in anyway but that makes sense. Although, I did see one screenshot when reading an article (there was no warning of spoilers) that showed a gorgeous looking Red XIII.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ahh. I didn't personally look at the screenshots because I really have no desire to have this game spoiled in anyway but that makes sense. Although, I did see one screenshot when reading an article (there was no warning of spoilers) that showed a gorgeous looking Red XIII.
Yeah. Personally, I'm one of those weird guys who generally doesn't feel that spoilers play much of a meaningful role in my own satisfaction or appreciation of media (especially for a remake), so my only reluctance would have been the idea of indirectly supporting leakers with views. I just looked through a forum thread that seemed pretty exhaustive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad