Filppula and Kindl...odd men out?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Babcock has been very vocal and public with his displeasure on how these two have played so far this season. Filppula is obviously a possible rental for any team that trades for him, so what could we get for a package that includes Filppula, Kindl, Miller/Eaves/Cleary and a 2nd?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Babcock has been very vocal and public with his displeasure on how these two have played so far this season. Filppula is obviously a possible rental for any team that trades for him, so what could we get for a package that includes Filppula, Kindl, Miller/Eaves/Cleary and a 2nd?

Filppula has been playing hurt, and other than last night, Kindl has been mostly fine. This is coming from the guy who's been using Cleary in a top 6 role. I wouldn't move either of these guys, especially Filppula(at least I wouldn't be actively trying to ship them)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
It would be stupid to trade Kindl depending on his current value if any on the market. I'd rather try to trade White or CC for a pick.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
It would be stupid to trade Kindl depending on his current value if any on the market. I'd rather try to trade White or CC for a pick.

White I would not look to move as he's are only right handed and he's played ok. Colo I would be fine with moving as I've always thought he was redundant and we never needed to sign him. I've thought both Kindl and Quincey would be able to handle his minutes if given the chance.

Fil I don't think they look to move him at all. I wouldn't doubt they are working on a new deal to lock him up right now. His injury and play may even help to bring the price tag down a bit.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Has Babs been vocal about these two?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I wouldnt want to actively try to trade flip but if the right offer (overpayment) came along, sure, if it helps the team.

Id rather trade White, Coliacovo and Q before trading Kidl. Flip them all for picks...

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012

Yes, he has been critical about both of them this year on multiple occasions. Kindl's value isn't high by any stretch and if it was high, then we likely wouldn't be dealing him since that would mean he was playing really well for us.

CC has virtually no trade value this season since he hasn't even played a full two games.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes, he has been critical about both of them this year on multiple occasions. Kindl's value isn't high by any stretch and if it was high, then we likely wouldn't be dealing him since that would mean he was playing really well for us.

CC has virtually no trade value this season since he hasn't even played a full two games.

I know he's tried to light a fire under Kindl, but what has he said about Flip? I haven't been paying attention.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I'm not sure he has to issue a statement or make a comment in an interview about Kindl- his yo-yo routine with Kindl in and out of the lineup speaks volumes. I think Kindl has played better this year but still don't see him as anything better than a bottom pairing guy on a decent team, so IMO he's easily replaceable if he's traded or walks. But Babs seems so down on the guy, I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind keeping him beyond this season (it's not apples to apples, but it seems a bit like a less talented defenseman version of the Hudler/Babs soap opera).

Babs did call out Flip, saying he has to be better... which is accurate- he needs to be better. I did find it a little odd to for him to focus on Flip when one of his alternate captains is having an epically bad season, though.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure he has to issue a statement or make a comment in an interview about Kindl- his yo-yo routine with Kindl in and out of the lineup speaks volumes. I think Kindl has played better this year but still don't see him as anything better than a bottom pairing guy on a decent team, so IMO he's easily replaceable if he's traded or walks. But Babs seems so down on the guy, I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind keeping him beyond this season (it's not apples to apples, but it seems a bit like a less talented defenseman version of the Hudler/Babs soap opera).

Babs did call out Flip, saying he has to be better... which is accurate- he needs to be better. I did find it a little odd to for him to focus on Flip when one of his alternate captains is having an epically bad season, though.

Agree completely. Babs has been way too quiet about Kronwall this season. Honestly, at this point, he needs to do whatever it takes to get Kronwall going, and perhaps sit Flip a game or two to let him rest.

Perhaps that's an option for if/when we ever get healthy.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I thought Flip looked better last night than the past couple games and if we could ever get close to healthy a weeks rest on his knee might do wonders. You gotta think there is a lot of pressure on him to perform, Babcock publicly calling him out and if his knee isn't 100% he is trying to just suck it up.

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
I thought Filp was outstanding the first few games. I agree that he's probably hurt right now. When we get some people back this/next week, we should sit him and let his knee heal a bit.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Agree completely. Babs has been way too quiet about Kronwall this season. Honestly, at this point, he needs to do whatever it takes to get Kronwall going, and perhaps sit Flip a game or two to let him rest.

Maybe Babs is taking a different approach with Kronwall and dealing with him behind closed doors? I guess we never know what gets each player going, and it's up to the coach to know that and act accordingly. Anyway, as soon as I posted about Babs not calling out Kronwall, I thought about the sheer comedy that would ensue if Kronwall was a Ranger and Torts talked about his play game by game in press conferences this year :laugh::laugh:

On Flip, you're probably right- give him some time off once Mule and Bert get back. Hopefully that gets him back on track.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

I'm not sure what he's supposed to about Kronwall. Yelling at him isn't going to turn him into Lidstrom, and yelling at the other D isn't going to turn them into Stuart. Factor in that Kronwall was in the top four when Rafalski was here, and compare that to the current line up.

There is NO comparison. We see the mistakes and ceiling more clearly because he doesn't have the supporting cast, nor was he put into the top pairing role.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Two players that need to go in my opinion are Filppula and Cleary. Filppula always does the same play - skate like a madman into the offensive zone, stop and looks for the pass - and has to be better coached or Babcock needs to make him see that. Cleary obviously won't be going anywhere, as Babcock has a special liking to him.

Ideally, Filppula would be traded in the Eastern conference, somewhere like Florida or Washington, where he could flourish.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013

I'm not sure what "get kronwall going" really means. He had 36 points last year and was -2. He has 10 points in 16 games this year on pace for 30 points in 48 games. He is doing exactly what kronwall is supposed to do. Get points. He is not a defensive defensman. And never has been. To throw him into a #1 d slot. In the shadow of arguably the greatest defensman of all time and expect him to completely change his game is just not fair. Babcock isn't getting on kronwall because he knows he is out of his element. But what choice do thy have? Ease up on kronner ppl. He's a point producer. Not a shutdown guy.

crashman

I don't get it. Cleary can be terrible and keep his job (even promoted to a scoring line) and Filppula and Kindl just get bagged on for playing pretty well.

I understand that he probably thinks they have more to give than they are, but it doesn't help the team to give Cleary minutes he doesn't deserve..

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I agree in that assessment of Kronwall but he still needs to play better defense. Why does he always look like he's about to fall over on every play

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Maybe Babs is taking a different approach with Kronwall and dealing with him behind closed doors? I guess we never know what gets each player going, and it's up to the coach to know that and act accordingly. Anyway, as soon as I posted about Babs not calling out Kronwall, I thought about the sheer comedy that would ensue if Kronwall was a Ranger and Torts talked about his play game by game in press conferences this year :laugh::laugh:

On Flip, you're probably right- give him some time off once Mule and Bert get back. Hopefully that gets him back on track.

I agree, and I think what we happen to hear from the media has probably little or no bearing on Babcock's actual opinions on these guys. Maybe he releases statements as motivation when he thinks it will help. Maybe's he's railing on Kronwall and Cleary privately every day. We don't really have a way of knowing.

Think about it, if you're a coach and you have a player who's underachieving, what advantage do you have by making it publicly known that you're upset with him? How can the fans help?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
For what it's worth Flip said on Finnish paper some days ago (maybe 4 or 5) that he's knee is ok now, they're not tying it up anymore for games. And he acknowledged that he needs to be better.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
From the interview last night, he really seemed annoyed with Kindl. When asked about the three penalties in one period, he just responded "that speaks for itself". Something is wrong there. The second penalty was weak, the third penalty was probably necessary since the Pred was about to go 1v1 on Howard.

I think we might just see Kindl leave at the deadline. He's shown a lot of potential, but there is obviously something happening behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought Flip looked better last night than the past couple games and if we could ever get close to healthy a weeks rest on his knee might do wonders. You gotta think there is a lot of pressure on him to perform, Babcock publicly calling him out and if his knee isn't 100% he is trying to just suck it up.

Yeah, you definitely noticed Fil more last night. I think Babs wants to put Z and Pavs on the same line so you are asking Filppula to carry his own line. If Sammy was there maybe he looks better with a shooter. Right now with Sammy, Mule and Bert out of the lineup Filppula is not going to be visible every single night. I think Babs is pushing to try to get him to that Z and Pavs level and it's a good move. Fil is due a new contract and he needs to prove he's a guy who can play at that level. It's one of many reasons why I want Riley Sheahan in the lineup, he's a big body who could play on Fil's line and potentially be the scorer that line needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad