Filppula and Kindl...odd men out?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If the Ducks can't sign Getzlaf...

Flip + a good prospect for Getzlaf
Flip gets to go play with Selanne and Koivu.

We get a chance to keep Getzlaf

I'd consider trading Kindl, but I think it's a mistake. But if he's never going to play for Babcock, might as well

Everything Getzlaf has said indicates he'll do everything he can to stay with the team. Of the three, I'd say he's least likely to be moved.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think it's pretty obvious why. Kronwall is struggling with the pressure of being #1 and adding more pressure isn't going to help him.

Commenting on Fil makes sense considering he was pretty good last year and has done nothing at all this year. Unlike Kronwall, Fil is a guy who has taken the next step and somehow magically reverted to who he was before. It makes sense that Babcock would try to light a fire under him.

Maybe there's something to not adding pressure to Kronwall. But he's been a far bigger problem for the Wings than Flip has this season. I agree that Flip has gone back into his super passive mode, but Kronwall is playing D in his own end like a goalie or forward who's changed positions and is playing defenseman for the first time. It is really stunning to see that out of a guy who the team was clearly counting on to be a steadying influence for the defense as they move into the post-Lids era.

The return of guys like Mule to the lineup, along with the continued development of Tatar, can compensate for Flip having a bad season so far. I think last year was a career year and he's not really that kind of scorer, so I didn't expect a great season out of him anyway. But if Kronwall doesn't turn it around, the defense will continue to suck royally. That's a far bigger issue for this team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everything Getzlaf has said indicates he'll do everything he can to stay with the team. Of the three, I'd say he's least likely to be moved.

Yes, I think they'll re-sign Getzlaf for sure and it's Perry that will leave the team and they just promote Bobby Ryan to 1st line duties and replace Ryan with some other promising winger prospects.

Anaheim has inside salary cap to operate, and I can't see them fitting both in.

Perry wants to go nearer Ontario, so why not Detroit? I don't he wants to go that Toronto media hell.

Signing Perry from Free agency and letting Filppula walk would be fine for me. Trade Filppula's UFA rights to Anaheim for Perry's UFA rights at draft and get a deal done.

Franzen - Zeta - Brunner
Nyquist - Dats - Perry
Tatar - Helm - ...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yes, I think they'll re-sign Getzlaf for sure and it's Perry that will leave the team and they just promote Bobby Ryan to 1st line duties and replace Ryan with some other promising winger prospects.

Anaheim has inside salary cap to operate, and I can't see them fitting both in.

Perry wants to go nearer Ontario, so why not Detroit? I don't he wants to go that Toronto media hell.

Signing Perry from Free agency and letting Filppula walk would be fine for me. Trade Filppula's UFA rights to Anaheim for Perry's UFA rights at draft and get a deal done.

Franzen - Zeta - Brunner
Nyquist - Dats - Perry
Tatar - Helm - ...

I'm all for pursuing Perry, and wouldn't be surprised if he at least explores his July 1st options. We'd have to give him his money though.

DatsyukianDeke*

Hopefully Perry doesn't follow the Parise idea of being close to home. If that's the case he will be in Toronto next year, they have a ton of cap space and Rogers Communications will ensure that all money will be spent to acquire him.

I really hope the Wings will be able to sign him, I just don't see it happening though unless we get better.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hopefully Perry doesn't follow the Parise idea of being close to home. If that's the case he will be in Toronto next year, they have a ton of cap space and Rogers Communications will ensure that all money will be spent to acquire him.

I really hope the Wings will be able to sign him, I just don't see it happening though unless we get better.

I would be stunned given Perry's personality if he goes anywhere near Toronto. He is a very private guy from almost all accounts. He is almost a classic don't sign in Canada type, I think he might listen to some of them though, but Toronto would surprise me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be stunned given Perry's personality if he goes anywhere near Toronto. He is a very private guy from almost all accounts. He is almost a classic don't sign in Canada type, I think he might listen to some of them though, but Toronto would surprise me.

I think Toronto does not need another expensive Winger, but they could try everything to get Getzlaf.

I don't think they get either, but someone like Stephen Weiss would be a much better fit for them (cap-vise, and a real need on the roster).

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Filp has knee problems still. Babcock can blame the players as much as he want. the fact is lindtröm and holmström left the house + injuries. no can do. Maybe flip actually could do better at somewhere else... but the skill and potentional he has is huge and i wouldnt let him go very easily.

I have never seen detroit playing this ****** past ****ing 5 seasons at least. Every ****ing mid-tier teams even dominate against them now and they cannot seem to produce scorin opportunities at all, and their goaltending is just as ****** as always. Past seasons wings weakest link has always been goaltending, now its not even the weakest link.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I'd say the Wings have a better chance of signing Perry that Getzlaf because Detroit's top 2 C are set and the Wings need another sniper in their top-6 IMO. Also, Toronto has a very well documented want of a top C and already has Lupul and Kessel as top wingers.

Long story short, Perry signs in Detroit and Getzlaf in Toronto. I'd like to see a PP unit of Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Perry :amazed:

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
So is it confirmed, then, that Bobby Ryan isn't going to be moved? Also, is it that Ryan is perceived to be too expensive, or is it that we are looking for a centerman?

Can't honestly say that Anaheim will be a seller at the trade deadline, but given the shortened season and the parity between teams, it really seems that this trade deadline will be a sellers market, forcing teams like the Red Wings out of trade negotiations for a lack of enough meaningful assets to trade.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If Perry / Getzlaf want to win a cup where should they sign?

Well it is growing more and more apparent that they should re-sign in Anaheim.

If they were missing the playoffs right now in Detroit's spot, I might expect them to leave town.
But honestly, if they stay hot, they will both re-sign in Anaheim, as long as Anaheim doesn't low ball their salaries.

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
Salary cap is dropping but given what top tier free agents have been receiving these past few years, even ones who've never won anything and have only been solid pieces to good teams, well, Getz and Perry will get their pay day. The Ducks had better be prepared to dish out major money to convince them both to stay if so. I'm pretty sure they're both quite content in Anaheim and both would like to re-sign but I think at very least Perry will explore his options.

As for Toronto, it would be every one of my neighbours wet dream if either signed here. People bleed blue here and would lose it if one or either signed in Toronto. But yeah like said above, this place is a pressure cooker, there's no winning with the sports media here even when you're winning games. Haha.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Flip's problem is that he doesn't have the drive or mentality to be a go-to, top end guy. This is indicated by his chronic refusal to shoot and go to the net. Flip has been on the Wings for 7 seasons now and the entire time Babcock has implored him to shoot more, go to the net and be the top guy on his line. Flip refuses to be that guy. His increase in production last year was due to him playing with Zetterberg and Hudler and an out-of-the-ordinary increase in his shooting %. It had nothing to do with him changing his game to be more aggressive.

I think this year Babcock is tired of telling him politely to shoot more and is frustrated to the point of basically calling him out, "What do I have to do to get it into your head to shooting the fricking puck and be aggressive" is what I get out of Babcock's comments lately.

Aside from all of that, the type of player Flip is, he is completely redundant on this Wings team. If you can move him for a piece they need (top dman or power forward) do it without question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->