Filppula and Kindl...odd men out?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
package Fil + Nyquist + a dman for a better upgraded dman.. that's what i'd do. I just think Ny will be Fil 2.0 and I, for one, do not wish to deal with more flash and dash and no finish.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
For the record, if Tatar gets sent down before someone like Eaves is waived or what not, ill be livid. The kid brings a lot of what we need and he's played great.

RedWingsNow*

White I would not look to move as he's are only right handed and he's played ok. Colo I would be fine with moving as I've always thought he was redundant and we never needed to sign him. I've thought both Kindl and Quincey would be able to handle his minutes if given the chance.

Fil I don't think they look to move him at all. I wouldn't doubt they are working on a new deal to lock him up right now. His injury and play may even help to bring the price tag down a bit.

I don't mind moving White, righthanded or not. His 5'10 body and slow skating stride are trouble.

I wonder if our powerplay would be better with White on the first PP unit instead of Brunner, though.

RedWingsNow*

If the Ducks can't sign Getzlaf...

Flip + a good prospect for Getzlaf
Flip gets to go play with Selanne and Koivu.

We get a chance to keep Getzlaf

I'd consider trading Kindl, but I think it's a mistake. But if he's never going to play for Babcock, might as well

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For the record, if Tatar gets sent down before someone like Eaves is waived or what not, ill be livid. The kid brings a lot of what we need and he's played great.

By the time our regulars are fully healthy, the season is over :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Two players that need to go in my opinion are Filppula and Cleary. Filppula always does the same play - skate like a madman into the offensive zone, stop and looks for the pass - and has to be better coached or Babcock needs to make him see that. Cleary obviously won't be going anywhere, as Babcock has a special liking to him.

Ideally, Filppula would be traded in the Eastern conference, somewhere like Florida or Washington, where he could flourish.

Why does circling back at the blueline to pass work better in Washington or Florida?

Filppula needs a rest, I can see why they haven't given him one with all the injuries and also the fact he probably doesn't want one in a contract year.

All I know is both Filppula and Howard have knocked close to a million per off what I would be willing to pay them if I was the Wings. No way Filppula can ask for Grabo money while he plays like this. Babcock has rightfully called him out, he isn't shooting the puck enough again and he is staying to the outside all the time again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I'd consider trading Kindl, but I think it's a mistake. But if he's never going to play for Babcock, might as well

The Ducks will want more than that, not even in the ballpark on that proposal. We would need to Flyers Filppula and have him sign to be immediately traded and even then I am guessing the Ducks would want more.

I kind of hope Holland walks in to his office today and sends down Lashoff and tells him he is playing Kindl. I don't understand what Babcock is up to, but I think Holland needs to force his hand on this one. It might get ugly, because Holland has been against moving Kindl, no doubt because he and Nill see a lot of the good things he can do. But Babcock hates him, would be interesting if Kindl became a breaking point on their relationship.

I don't want him moved and I want him playing, might be time for a sit down with coach, player and gm to figure out just what is going on here.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'm not sure what he's supposed to about Kronwall. Yelling at him isn't going to turn him into Lidstrom, and yelling at the other D isn't going to turn them into Stuart. Factor in that Kronwall was in the top four when Rafalski was here, and compare that to the current line up.

There is NO comparison. We see the mistakes and ceiling more clearly because he doesn't have the supporting cast, nor was he put into the top pairing role.

I don't know for sure what to do about Kronwall either to get him to be remotely effective defensively, but then again I don't get paid to know that, either. Babs may not have any great options to pair with him (clearly Lashoff doesn't work), but I think it's reasonable to expect a guy to cover decently in his zone, have the basic awareness to not continually screen his goalie, and not make horrible turnovers. I definitely don't see how Babs can't address his terrible play, because the other guys on the team are probably noticing it.

Hypothetically, say that Babs isn't addressing anything with Kronwall and chalking up the bad play to the "no good partner for him/isn't ready for his role" line of thought. Can you imagine how awkward those post game team meetings would be when Babs starts talking about how bad the team D has been?

First, while everyone else is sitting at their locker, Kronwall inexplicably grabs a chair and sits about 3 feet in front of Howie and Monster, so both guys have to keep looking around him to see Babs. Then as Babs starts working down the list of problems including team leaders needing to step up, guys maintaining coverage, limiting turnovers, clearing the crease, giving the goalies a line of sight to the puck, etc... the guys on the team keep looking at Kronwall out of the corner of their eyes.

That would have to happen if Babs wasn't addressing Kronwall's mistakes behind closed doors, right? Not that anyone on the D gets a free pass this year with how they are playing, but 55 is killing them.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I don't think that's enough and I doubt they trade him considering how good they've started the year. But IF they did trade him I'd go:

Filppula, Kindl + a prospect for him and I'd even consider giving up more. I wouldn't trade Smith, but anyone else I'd have a hard time keeping if Getzlaf was available.

In the offseason I'd be fine with a 5 year 35m deal for him - I know he's inconsistent, but he's exactly what the Wings need.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
I don't think that's enough and I doubt they trade him considering how good they've started the year. But IF they did trade him I'd go:

Filppula, Kindl + a prospect for him and I'd even consider giving up more. I wouldn't trade Smith, but anyone else I'd have a hard time keeping if Getzlaf was available.

In the offseason I'd be fine with a 5 year 35m deal for him - I know he's inconsistent, but he's exactly what the Wings need.

I'd totally be down for this too, but like you said, they're playing good this year so probably will keep him for the duration of the season if they continue playing this way, we need them to start sucking now lol.

He is like you said exactly what the wings need and he is what Babcock wants. I'm pretty certain Babcock loved him on team canada and will love him on Detroit, he'd probably be playing 22-24 min a night if he was a red wing. Too bad this won't unfortunately happen, hopefully I jinxed it now and it does happen! :D

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
A shrewd GM who has watched Filppula for nearly a decade now would've known that last year's performance was a career year and not a "break out" season. His value was sky high after last season - the same season where we watched Lidstrom and Stuart leave, after watching Rafalski leave the season before - and Holland sits on his hands.

For a team that has an endless stream of smallish, skilled offensive players, and an atrocious defense, 6-8 months ago was the time to get rid of Filppula.

Then again, I've always thought Filppula was overrated, so I'm biased...

RedWingsNow*

I agree in that assessment of Kronwall but he still needs to play better defense. Why does he always look like he's about to fall over on every play

Posture says a lot. And I'm serious. He looks bewildered and exhausted.

RedWingsNow*

Get ready to be livid.

People can blame Holland, but Babcock isn't using him.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah.
Flip + Kindl + Nyquist and a 2nd.

Probably worth it.

Unless Getz walks.

But if he didn't...

I still get sick looking at our lines and seeing Bert and Sammy there next year.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Get ready to be livid.

People can blame Holland, but Babcock isn't using him.

Sure he is. Tatar has come up and given this team a shot in the arm for the 3rd and 4th lines and they've responded with much better efforts. Putting him with Datsyuk would've been great, probably better than what's happened now considering how many games we've lost in a row. But he's been great and has been used fairly well considering the circumstances. Playing Cleary with Datsyuk or Z is completely dumb, but Tatar with Anderson and whoever else has been a success. Same with him on the PP with a little less success.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sure he is. Tatar has come up and given this team a shot in the arm for the 3rd and 4th lines and they've responded with much better efforts. Putting him with Datsyuk would've been great, probably better than what's happened now considering how many games we've lost in a row. But he's been great and has been used fairly well considering the circumstances. Playing Cleary with Datsyuk or Z is completely dumb, but Tatar with Anderson and whoever else has been a success. Same with him on the PP with a little less success.

Dude, not just Cleary.

Datsyuk was playing with Abby/Cleary yesterday. Tatar? The kid with hands and the scoring touch who has more goals than Abby in less games/way less minutes, and the kid with the same number of goals as Cleary in way less games/minutes?

Ugh.

At least it's forcing Datsyuk to go beast mode. Damn I love that guy./

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Dude, not just Cleary.

Datsyuk was playing with Abby/Cleary yesterday. Tatar? The kid with hands and the scoring touch who has more goals than Abby in less games/way less minutes, and the kid with the same number of goals as Cleary in way less games/minutes?

Ugh.

At least it's forcing Datsyuk to go beast mode. Damn I love that guy./

Well whatever. Datsyuk, Tatar and Cleary or Datsyuk, Tatar and Abdelkader or whoever else you want to throw in there is still a ****** line.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Buyout Sammy and Quincey or Sammy and Bert, we are allowed two without cap consequences right?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Buyout Sammy and Quincey or Sammy and Bert, we are allowed two without cap consequences right?

Yes. But why people think Holland will buy out Sammy when he brought him here on a two-year deal with a NTC, I'm not sure.

Same goes for Bert and Quincey.

If Holland buys anyone out, it would be someone of little consequence like Eaves. But the chances of him buying anyone out are slim to none.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes. But why people think Holland will buy out Sammy when he brought him here on a two-year deal with a NTC, I'm not sure.

Same goes for Bert and Quincey.

If Holland buys anyone out, it would be someone of little consequence like Eaves. But the chances of him buying anyone out are slim to none.

From grumblings out there from Custance and some of the other press, I think the buyout relies completely on them having a big free agency add and needing to do it. We will see who actually gets there, but they would chuck a lot of "Holland or Babcock" favorites if it meant signing a Getzlaf.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
From grumblings out there from Custance and some of the other press, I think the buyout relies completely on them having a big free agency add and needing to do it. We will see who actually gets there, but they would chuck a lot of "Holland or Babcock" favorites if it meant signing a Getzlaf.

Agree. But I still think the buyout chances are slim to none.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I did find it a little odd to for him to focus on Flip when one of his alternate captains is having an epically bad season, though.
I think it's pretty obvious why. Kronwall is struggling with the pressure of being #1 and adding more pressure isn't going to help him.

Commenting on Fil makes sense considering he was pretty good last year and has done nothing at all this year. Unlike Kronwall, Fil is a guy who has taken the next step and somehow magically reverted to who he was before. It makes sense that Babcock would try to light a fire under him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
package Fil + Nyquist + a dman for a better upgraded dman.. that's what i'd do. I just think Ny will be Fil 2.0 and I, for one, do not wish to deal with more flash and dash and no finish.
Nyquist is very much unlike Fil. Fil has all of the physical tools outside of the finish. Nyquist has all of the finish but doesn't have physical tools. (In this case, I mean "finish" in the sense of making the play that creates a goal, either passing, shooting, or deking.)

The Nyquist-Fil comparison comes about because of their perceived place in the lineup; Fil is a second tier guy and the thought is that Nyquist will fill that sort of role as well. They don't literally mean that Nyquist will PLAY like Fil, because they don't play a similar game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->