Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Lafrieniere had 57 points this season. After that, the next most points among forwards is Vesey with 26 (Roslovic had 31 over the whole season).

Even if he's not at his best, Chytil should be a huge lift to our secondary scoring.
Wennberg with 30, but i agree.

Chytil not only improves the secondary scoring but he deepens the lineup even further which is just as important if you want to go on a run

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I am quite concerned that many of you are willing to insert Fil back into the lineup. I know the decision is a medical one; if he is deemed healthy, he can play. But I just wonder, with his history and the fact that his last problem (when he came over a few months ago) was not all that long ago, I would love to see a healthy Fil in the lineup: his skills and speed are sorely missed. But honestly, I prefer him not to play at all, to give him the the seven or so months till training camp to continue to improve. I also know that concussions are unpredictable: he could wait seven months and go down on the first shift of training camp or, he can go back into the lineup now and be healthy and productive. Fil is a valuable asset and we need to think long-term about what what is best for the team, and more importantly, for his long-term health.
Consider That the organization shut him down, and he’s back in the states, it makes it very clear he wants to play and has been medically cleared. If he’s a useful asset long term, then follow medical advice.

Yeah but how are you supposed to know in advance? Especially with concussions it's both unpredictable, but you also never want to have the pressure to rush the recovery. Using low estimates for the recovery period and thus not using LTIR might just do that.

I think with a player missing 72 games due to a concussion, there is very little doubt that the LTIR usage was in good faith and to the best of knowledge at the time of the trade deadline, even if the player would unexpectedly ready to return by game 80. So I don't think the league would have any issue with Chytil returning for game 1.
I didn’t say it wasn’t in good faith.
We officially shut him down.

I’m saying we might be hedging because it could lead to questions we don’t want asked

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I am quite concerned that many of you are willing to insert Fil back into the lineup. I know the decision is a medical one; if he is deemed healthy, he can play. But I just wonder, with his history and the fact that his last problem (when he came over a few months ago) was not all that long ago, I would love to see a healthy Fil in the lineup: his skills and speed are sorely missed. But honestly, I prefer him not to play at all, to give him the the seven or so months till training camp to continue to improve. I also know that concussions are unpredictable: he could wait seven months and go down on the first shift of training camp or, he can go back into the lineup now and be healthy and productive. Fil is a valuable asset and we need to think long-term about what what is best for the team, and more importantly, for his long-term health.
All of this is valid.

But I'm not sure we know the 100% truth of his injury/injuries.

They very well could have fudged the latest incident knowing he would need extra time to heal up anyway, who knows. Not sure why they would do that since the optics are terrible, but maybe he did have a relapse and it went away the day after they made the announcement and hes felt great since the start of February . We just dont know the details

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You realize that we have no power to put him in the lineup, right? That's up to his doctors, coaches and Fil himself. I think they might be a better position to make an informed decision than anyone on this forum.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

Chytil not only improves the secondary scoring but he deepens the lineup even further which is just as important if you want to go on a run
Yeah for Roslovic and Wennberg I was going off points scored as a Ranger

Reactions: mas0764

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he was legitimately injured?

What was the story again? He tripped over a stick? Could’ve been a tear/break/whatever and had nothing to do with the concussion?
When the team put out the statement saying he was done for the season, they referred to a setback in his recovery from the "upper body injury." Laviolette said the same--that he had a setback recovering from the original injury. It wasn't clear exactly how he fell or what happened, just that he did and it was related to the original head injury.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Wennberg had 4 points in 19 games with us. That's what counts.

It's kinda awful. Don't want this player back. He'd be good on the fourth line and he will get too much money for that.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I dont think he plays in the first round. I think he gets in the 2nd round provided the Rangers make it through the first round.

I think he's either back for the first round - and relatively early in the first round, at that - or he doesn't come back this season.

I really doubt that it's just a miraculous coincidence that he happens to get cleared and then is able to work himself into game shape "sometime in the next two weeks." He's probably been cleared and working into shape for a while now. An extra few days, I don't believe, will likely matter at all.

He's either ready to go now and they will spring him into the lineup.... or the reports about him skating with the team are exaggerated and he's really still playing it very carefully and no one knows when exactly he'll be ready... in which case, I doubt another few weeks would be enough for him (or the team) to feel comfortable exposing him.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Wennberg doesn't suck. Wish he would shoot more, but he doesn't suck. Love the fans that don't quantify impact past goals, assists and points. Love it.
Wennberg is great in two zones, and below average in the other.
The problem is that he actively hinders the offensive zone. If he was pushed down to our fourth line, he’s suddenly fantastic because I don’t give a shit about that line generating offensive pressure.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Wennberg doesn't suck. Wish he would shoot more, but he doesn't suck. Love the fans that don't quantify impact past goals, assists and points. Love it.
what do you Iike about him that Bonino didn't do? same shit to me

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I doubt many will whine. He was CLEARLY injured. This wasn't right before the trading deadline and he's magically back. He missed most of the season. He traveled across oceans multiple times to try and come back, then try and recover. This is real.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I doubt many will whine. He was CLEARLY injured. This wasn't right before the trading deadline and he's magically back. He missed most of the season. He traveled across oceans multiple times to try and come back, then try and recover. This is real.
I don’t think anyone will whine.
But stone was legit out for a lacerated spleen. That’s a legit injury.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
You realize that we have no power to put him in the lineup, right? That's up to his doctors, coaches and Fil himself. I think they might be a better position to make an informed decision than anyone on this forum.
Of course, I know that. Of course, I know it is a medical decision first and foremost. Of course, I know that we really don't know with the medical diagnosis and prognosis is. Of course. All I know is that all of us here, are "medical experts" with vast knowledge accumulated over years and years watching multiple sports. For me, the bottom line is always about the player. Fil is still a young player, with a tremendous skill set that, if he were healthy, could lead to a long, productive, and lucrative NHL career. I just want what is best for him first, team second. But, of course, it is a medical decision. Yes, I know that the NHL has become more concerned with head injuries but, we also know, due to the CTE issue, that the NHL still seems to have its proverbial head (no pun intended) buried in the sand when it comes to concussions. I hope he is healthy, hope he can play, hope he scores the Cup winning goal in OT, but I am still leery more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad