Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ah yes - because minutes are not an indicator of a lines proficiency either right? Teams don't play their best line the most? 10-16-13 is the best line with the most minutes on the top team in the NHL. Nothing to do with performance at all right? You use their minutes to discount their success - I actually think it's a further indicator of how good they've been. They've been the main catalyst for the top team in the league.

These aren't per game stats. There's a lot more variance of minutes played over a season rather per game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Is this guy back? That brooks tweet is cryptic
He’s on LTIR and they’re using his cap space for other players. They can’t say he’s back until the regular season ends. The cap goes away after the regular season ends. If they prematurely announce, it becomes a sticky situation.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
He’s on LTIR and they’re using his cap space for other players. They can’t say he’s back until the regular season ends. The cap goes away after the regular season ends. If they prematurely announce, it becomes a sticky situation.
I haven't looked... but are they that close to the cap that they can't fit Chytil in for 1 game?

Genuine question. Is it because they can't... or because they dont' want to?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I haven't looked... but are they that close to the cap that they can't fit Chytil in for 1 game?

They could theoretically have him play for game 1, but it would raise a lot more questions than they’d probably like.
The cap issue is a regular season one, and they probably had to stop him from coming back to the US even earlier, which would’ve been a major issue.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Raising the @GAGLine signal.
We are spending over the cap. That is allowed because Chytil and Wheeler are on LTIR.

Players on LTIR still count against the cap. Putting them on LTIR simply allows us to spend more. If we were to activate Chytil, the amount we are spending would not change, but the amount we are allowed to spend would go down. We would be spending more than we are allowed to spend.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
We are spending over the cap. That is allowed because Chytil and Wheeler are on LTIR.

Players on LTIR still count against the cap. Putting them on LTIR simply allows us to spend more. If we were to activate Chytil, the amount we are spending would not change, but the amount we are allowed to spend would go down. We would be spending more than we are allowed to spend.
Not questioning your statements... but I am genuinely curious based on capfriendly numbers.

They currently project the cap space at the end of the season to be $144,909

Chytil's salary divided by 82 = $54,156

I assumed that meant that they would have enough space for him to play 1 game.

1713215224019.png

Reactions: egelband

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Not questioning your statements... but I am genuinely curious based on capfriendly numbers.

View attachment 852230
Nevermind... for some reason I thought players were paid per game... but it's daily.... so it's obviously a lot longer than 1 day (although Chytil's per day salary would be significantly lower than $54k).

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
When Tamp and Vegas do it, it's all good. When we do it we have to tightrope it to make it seem on the up and up.
Tampa and Vegas had very different types of injuries that had more conclusive time frames.
there’s never been an ltir into the playoffs off a concussion.
Vegas has absolutely taken advantage of the rules, but stone and back/spleen issues aren’t exactly pretending to be injured.
Kucherov was out almost the whole year with the knee.
I get that it’s easy to say “oh they cheated” when the rules are pretty clear, and they just stayed inside them.
Chytil plays in game one, there’s a lot of questions when he was actually ready.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tampa and Vegas had very different types of injuries that had more conclusive time frames.
Vegas has absolutely taken advantage of the rules, but stone and back/spleen issues aren’t exactly pretending to be injured.
I get that it’s easy to say “oh they cheated” when the rules are pretty clear, and they just stayed inside them.
Chytil plays in game one, there’s a lot of questions when he was actually ready.

This applies to anyone who
Plays in game 1.

Chytil hasn’t played a game since October. He has every excuse in the book to get a slow
Ramp up before being thrown into the fire.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

View attachment 852230
That'd be hilarious if they activated him to be like "look, we didn't circumvent the cap."

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

But on the other hand, what are you supposed to do in such a situation? Concussions are very hard to predict, so it could happen that a player either returns earlier than expected or doesn't return at all. Is a team really not to spend into LTIR space then? Because now obviously it's too late to shred any salary, so what would be the approved way to handle this situation if a player is suddenly ready to play game 82?

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Lafrieniere had 57 points this season. After that, the next most points among forwards is Vesey with 26 (Roslovic had 31 over the whole season).

Even if he's not at his best, Chytil should be a huge lift to our secondary scoring.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
But on the other hand, what are you supposed to do in such a situation? Concussions are very hard to predict, so it could happen that a player either returns earlier than expected or doesn't return at all. Is a team really not to spend into LTIR space then? Because now obviously it's too late to shred any salary, so what would be the approved way to handle this situation if a player is suddenly ready to play game 82?
The answer is probably not to use the ltir space.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The answer is probably not to use the ltir space.

Yeah but how are you supposed to know in advance? Especially with concussions it's both unpredictable, but you also never want to have the pressure to rush the recovery. Using low estimates for the recovery period and thus not using LTIR might just do that.

I think with a player missing 72 games due to a concussion, there is very little doubt that the LTIR usage was in good faith and to the best of knowledge at the time of the trade deadline, even if the player would unexpectedly ready to return by game 80. So I don't think the league would have any issue with Chytil returning for game 1.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Lafrieniere had 57 points this season. After that, the next most points among forwards is Vesey with 26 (Roslovic had 31 over the whole season).

Even if he's not at his best, Chytil should be a huge lift to our secondary scoring.
Replacing Cuylle on that 3rd line would be a shot in the arm for the group. Love Cuylle. He's done as well as you could ask for someone as a rookie and not looking out of place as a skater, but Chytil is a difference maker on that line and would give them a legit goal scorer on the line.

Wennberg and Kakko are both fairly high IQ players that Chytil can go and play his game and they'll fill in the space needed. Chytil is also a fairly heady player, but there will be rust and I'd much rather him be part of this line than having to figure out what Kreider and Zibanejad are doing out of the gate.

We might look at him a lot like the 16/17 Pens did with Kessel. He can carry a line scoring wise and let two guys that are smart do the right things to make them successful. He doesn't have the pedigree that Kessel had at that time, but he's no slouch in comparison.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I am quite concerned that many of you are willing to insert Fil back into the lineup. I know the decision is a medical one; if he is deemed healthy, he can play. But I just wonder, with his history and the fact that his last problem (when he came over a few months ago) was not all that long ago, I would love to see a healthy Fil in the lineup: his skills and speed are sorely missed. But honestly, I prefer him not to play at all, to give him the the seven or so months till training camp to continue to improve. I also know that concussions are unpredictable: he could wait seven months and go down on the first shift of training camp or, he can go back into the lineup now and be healthy and productive. Fil is a valuable asset and we need to think long-term about what what is best for the team, and more importantly, for his long-term health.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I am quite concerned that many of you are willing to insert Fil back into the lineup. I know the decision is a medical one; if he is deemed healthy, he can play. But I just wonder, with his history and the fact that his last problem (when he came over a few months ago) was not all that long ago, I would love to see a healthy Fil in the lineup: his skills and speed are sorely missed. But honestly, I prefer him not to play at all, to give him the the seven or so months till training camp to continue to improve. I also know that concussions are unpredictable: he could wait seven months and go down on the first shift of training camp or, he can go back into the lineup now and be healthy and productive. Fil is a valuable asset and we need to think long-term about what what is best for the team, and more importantly, for his long-term health.

Those are all valid concerns, but in the end you have to trust the professional doctors. If he is cleared and he himself feels ready, then I'd say he should play. As you say, with concussions, there's no guarantee that waiting half a year longer helps at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad