Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
All the stat means is the team has a coach who likes to remain consistent with his line combinations and the team has been relatively healthy.
And that that line has been very good for us but anything past that is stretching things a bit imo. Mathews and McDavid's lines have played around 50% less minutes together. Other lines score more per 60 as well.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I agree with this.

If he comes back I think it will be on that line to start. Sheltered minutes. It doesn’t upset things too much.

Cuylle had a few rotations with the 4th line not long ago, he can play that role very effectively. It makes them an even stronger 4 line team.

Re Wennberg - I think there’s a lot of trust in him from the staff. They identified him as a type of player they needed to add for not only depth but versatility and intelligence.

Hes a very heady support player and he and Kakko will allow Chytil to play a freer game and that will bode well for his confidence.

We also know the chemistry between Kakko and Chytil. If it works just roll with it. Chytil is a top 6 talent, as is Wennberg and occasionally Kakko. Thats a tough line to contain, even if it means a ton of possession, the puck is out of your end
Honestly I thin Wennberg will waste a lot of opportunities Fil and Kakko create. Cuylle is the better fit for my money. Wenn to 4C.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How is is an odd stat without ice time? The top lines on every other team are likely getting around the same ice time as our line. Who cares about goals/60. Fact is they have been scoring a ton of goals at ES over the season.

Some lines were probably put together later in the season than ours. Or their coach juggles the lines more often.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Even if you change the outlook to goals per 60 and cut off the TOI at 425 (half of P-T-L's TOI), that line ranks 4th in the league.

They score goals and they've scored a shit load of them since the ASB (25 of their now 52 in 32 games.)

Reactions: bhamill

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What are we even arguing at this point. My point was that it would be not smart to break up Bread Tro Laf.
It looks like we're having some weird semantic thing over total stats versus p/60 stats, even though both are valid and neither is perfect.

Cuylle-Brodzinski-Kakko is a relatively productive line given their usage. Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere is one of the most effective lines in hockey. Both of those are true.

Does "the stat" automatically make 10-16-13 the best line in hockey? No, but I also don't care. I know what they do for the Rangers and it's not that relevant to me where you place them in the top 10.

Just like I have Fox as my #1 defenseman in the league but if you have him #3, I do not care.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It looks like we're having some weird semantic thing over total stats versus p/60 stats, even though both are valid and neither is perfect.

Cuylle-Brodzinski-Kakko is a relatively productive line given their usage. Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere is one of the most effective lines in hockey. Both of those are true.

Does "the stat" automatically make 10-16-13 the best line in hockey? No, but I also don't care. I know what they do for the Rangers and it's not that relevant to me where you place them in the top 10.

Just like I have Fox as my #1 defenseman in the league but if you have him #3, I do not care.
Fair point but you also tried to eat a hat at some point if my memory is correct :D

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Or as I said a good line was put together later in the season. Also Gallant would have juggled the line this season multiple times. It's very coach specific.
Sure but the whole original point was that it was the last line we should f*** with. And I’m pretty sure that point stands up.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Or as I said a good line was put together later in the season. Also Gallant would have juggled the line this season multiple times. It's very coach specific.
Maybe, but that’s not a full season and thus a small sample size, it’s hard to find a good line that lasts all year.

Gallant never found a line because he moved them too much like you said, not always a good thing to juggle all the time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The HFNYR special: Make a solid point but use the wrong stat or say something technically not 100% true in the process. Next several pages debate over the support to the point, not the point itself, and we never actually finish the discussion.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
To pretend that "all the stat means" has nothing to do with performance or consistency is wild lol

League leading line in goals this year: Panarin/Trocheck/Laf
League leading line in minutes this year: Panarin/Trocheck/Laf

League leading line in goals last year: Robertson/Hintz/Pavelski
League leading line in minutes last year: Robertson/Hintz/Pavelski

League leading line in goals two years ago: Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk
League leading line in minutes two years ago: Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk

League leading line in goals three years ago: Pacioretty/Stephenson Stone
League leading line in minutes three years ago: Hey, not them, they were 6th

League leading line in goals four years ago: Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak
League leading line in minutes four years ago: The above was 2nd by 8 mins

That is literally all it means. This is why we use rates instead of pointless raw numbers for things that change a lot.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
League leading line in goals this year: Panarin/Trocheck/Laf
League leading line in minutes this year: Panarin/Trocheck/Laf

League leading line in goals last year: Robertson/Hintz/Pavelski
League leading line in minutes last year: Robertson/Hintz/Pavelski

League leading line in goals two years ago: Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk
League leading line in minutes two years ago: Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk

League leading line in goals three years ago: Pacioretty/Stephenson Stone
League leading line in minutes three years ago: Hey, not them, they were 6th

League leading line in goals four years ago: Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak
League leading line in minutes four years ago: The above was 2nd by 8 mins

That is literally all it means. This is why we use rates instead of pointless raw numbers for things that change a lot.
Ah yes - because minutes are not an indicator of a lines proficiency either right? Teams don't play their best line the most? 10-16-13 is the best line with the most minutes on the top team in the NHL. Nothing to do with performance at all right? You use their minutes to discount their success - I actually think it's a further indicator of how good they've been. They've been the main catalyst for the top team in the league.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ah yes - because minutes are not an indicator of a lines proficiency either right? Teams don't play their best line the most? 10-16-13 is the best line with the most minutes on the top team in the NHL. Nothing to do with performance at all right? You use their minutes to discount their success - I actually think it's a further indicator of how good they've been. They've been the main catalyst for the top team in the league.

It is not. It is a measure of good health and a consistent head coach.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It is not. It is a measure of good health and a consistent head coach.
It’s a measure of ALL those things. You excluding the obvious is just cherry picking. And I don’t even know why you want to argue it. Do you want to break up 10-16-13? Do you actually believe the Cuylle line is better with their better p/60?
The point is it’s a very productive line, most in the NHL, CERTAINLY most on this team. What is your endgame here? You seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad