Filip Chlapik placed on unconditional waivers

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, in my case I was in a conversation with leaf fans saying they hadnt won the division yet as were not half way through the season. They didnt like that.
Gotta watch those main boards .. Can't upset the Leaf fans

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Wouldn't listen to his bosses and got fired. Or as close as it gets in the hockey world I guess.

Sounds like a low character guy.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I would be kind of surprised if playing for Sparta was the reason they cut him. The agent's quote talks about "it could affect the negotiation of a new contract", but they still signed him to the contract

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pretty shitty they wanted the player to challenge himself and come into camp ready to win a NHL spot.
Didn’t they straight up say his camp catapulted him onto a roster spot? They sung his praises.

But then they had that little experiment for the first 15 games

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Sorry filip. Paquette stepan and anisimov are just 2 good

So, i don't know what to make of this, on the one hand, the team alledgedly didn't keep their unspecified promise. On the other hand, they unconditionally released him allowing him to sign elsewhere, likely for more money than he'd make in Belleville, so putting the player's best interests ahead of the (AHL) team's.

Weird situation given that we literally signed him 4 months ago.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So, i don't know what to make of this, on the one hand, the team alledgedly didn't keep their unspecified promise. On the other hand, they unconditionally released him allowing him to sign elsewhere, likely for more money than he'd make in Belleville, so putting the player's best interests ahead of the (AHL) team's.

Weird situation given that we literally signed him 4 months ago.
I think he just said no more ahl. He’s been there enough. And he’s paid his dues. Giving roster spots to anisimov and stepan and paquette and new signings like galchenyuk and Haley and peca before him? I think that’s just the final star. And I don’t blame hkm

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I would be kind of surprised if playing for Sparta was the reason they cut him. The agent's quote talks about "it could affect the negotiation of a new contract", but they still signed him to the contract
Yeah that really makes no sense and it’s tough to feel sorry for the guy when nobody else in the league wanted to sign him either

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I personally didn't think Chlapik was ever going to become an NHLer, and I thought that for a couple years.

With that said, if Dorion "promised" him a real opportunity and then went out and acquired Stepan, Paquette and Galchenyuk... well that sucks.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go to Europe. He'll make more money and have a nicer life in Finland or the Czech Republic than he would in Belleville.

And I guess Dorion made up for his shitty "promise" by releasing him and letting him go.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I personally didn't think Chlapik was ever going to become an NHLer, and I thought that for a couple years.

With that said, if Dorion "promised" him a real opportunity and then went out and acquired Stepan, Paquette and Galchenyuk... well that sucks.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go to Europe. He'll make more money and have a nicer life in Finland or the Czech Republic than he would in Belleville.

And I guess Dorion made up for his shitty "promise" by releasing him and letting him go.

If that is truly what happened, Dorion better shore up his "promise" problem. A guy like Chlapik should have never been offered the impression that he's a staple on the team. He's not good enough.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd love to have him as the 4th line center right now. He's PPG in the Czech league and 5th in scoring in the whole league. The Extraliga is not the SHL but not some crap league, it's a good level

David Krejci and Tomas Plekanec are currently tied 10th in scoring. Jaromir Jagr is 32nd

Look at that list, plenty of familiar names :

Elite Prospects - Czech Stats 2021-2022

Still rooting for this guy to eventually come back to NA and make a few millions in the NHL

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
For those of us without a subscription, can someone please summarize this? Thanks!
Chlapik felt he had more to offer than limited fourth-line minutes but the team wouldn't give him more opportunity. He felt he'd been misled by management and, once he was sent back to the AHL, the lower salary and the impacts of COVID-19 contributed to a financial crunch that left him better off returning home.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
For those of us without a subscription, can someone please summarize this? Thanks!

- Chlapik was unhappy in NA
- He felt the Sens were trying to change his game into a fourth-line grinder and he struggled with the lack of ice time when called up
- AHL players lost almost half their salary last year and he was concerned about his pay
- All of this culminated in him asking for a trade
- He was informed it would take a month or so to try to find a fit for him and decided to leave NA
- He said no one contacted him except the trainers and good friends he made, and that if they had perhaps he’d have a change of heart
- long story short he didn’t feel appreciated and is in a better place now in Europe with his family

The Sens responded with this:

“On Feb. 22, Filip’s agent advised the Club that Filip was unhappy. This precipitated GM Pierre Dorion making an offer of providing any degree of help — either physical or mental. By Thursday of that week (Feb. 25), a second offer of assistance was made via text. This offer also included an opportunity to be recalled to the Senators for early March’s six-game road trip to western Canada in an effort to demonstrate to Filip that he remained an important component to the team’s future. The Club was ultimately informed by the player’s agent that playing hockey in North America (for either Belleville or Ottawa) was no longer of interest to Filip and that his preference was to play professionally in Europe. The team agreed to terminate his contract on Sat., Feb. 26.”

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
He is back in the Czech leagues and doing pretty good

2021-22
8.png
HC Sparta Praha
Czech2091221121
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
- Chlapik sounds genuinely happy to be plaing in his home country/near his family
-Felt he had to walk away from the Senators because he was "just too unhappy"; breaking point was getting demoted to the AHL
-Didn't like how Ottawa tried to make him into a fourth lind grinder, felt they were underselling his potential
-Had financial concerns about the demotion, basically playing for half of the 70k AHL slaary due to the pandemic shortened season
-Isolation was also hard on him mentally
-Asked for a trade first but didn't/couldn't wait for the month long period he was told this would take
-Feels Ottawa didn't reach out or provide any support, maybe situation could have been resolved if they had
-Ottawa disputes this; Dorion says he did reach out to help and promised Chlapik he would be recalled for a road trip in March
-Chlapik is happy playing in a top 6 role on his current team, feels appreciated
-Doesn't regret walking away from the NHL

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad