Filip Chlapik placed on unconditional waivers

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Let's not let dorion entirely off the hook here. He created opportunities for the coaching staff to make these choices. If he disagreed with what Smith was doing, he should have made better roster decisions. Want chlapik (or insert prospect here), take away the options Smith prefers.

Generally when a coach is hired he is given tools to work with that he believes will help the team win. Smith is doing this for a reason and he believes it helps the team. That's certainly debatable and I debate it myself so don't think I'm trying to absolve these decisions but that's how I can explain them.

Dorion hired Smith and so he needs to give him the tools that he wants.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Chlapik had 50+ games in the NHL and a long look last season. They knew what they had. It sounds like he wanted a chance to play elsewhere and I'm sure the Sens tried to trade him first.

It didn't work out with this prospect. C'est la vie.

I'm not sure why, other than being a 2nd rounder, people think we're missing out here. Chlapik hasn't lit it up as a pro and I don't remember seeing a stalwart defensive player when he was in Ottawa last year. He's a competent but pedestrian player. He's not as good as most of the players above him and doesn't have a special skill/attribute that might get him a limited role as a 4th liner.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While the team had a very bad start to this season, it has begun to turn around & they are playing at least sometimes some very entertaining & good hockey & keeping up with better teams. How much this has to do with the coaching staff I guess is debatable. And while they might deserve some credit their roster choices are sometimes perplexing, but again who knows who is pulling whose strings as to who plays & who doesn't?

Reactions: Cosmix

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
You'd have to assume that after the Stepan injury he learned he wasn't going to get a call up, and realized that he has zero future with this team. Which would trigger the request to be released.

I think he could be a competent 4th liner, and would have liked to see him play more than I enjoyed the handful of minutes I've seen from Haley and Peca in the last few weeks.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Great news for Chlapik

He looked totally uninterested in the 2 games he played for Belleville this season. Players watch games too, he saw how many players struggled early on with the Sens and was wondering why he wouldn't get a better chance than 8 minutes. Pretty sure he had zero interest staying with this team as soon as he saw that Artem Anisimov was "the best player in camp". Probably similar for Logan Brown (but might finally have his chance with Stepan's injury)

Anyway, Chlapik had pretty solid 4th line advanced stats last year, hopefully he carves out a role on another team

46th in CA/60, 69th in SA/60, 103th in SCA/60, 15th in HDCA/60 (out of 480 forwards with at least 100 TOI at ES) and a 4.8 CF% rel

Not bad,

Rudolfs Balcers + Filip Chlapik + Christian Jaros + Max Lajoie
for
Clark Bishop + Jack Kopacka + 7th

Can't wait to see the return for Logan Brown :sarcasm:

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Generally when a coach is hired he is given tools to work with that he believes will help the team win. Smith is doing this for a reason and he believes it helps the team. That's certainly debatable and I debate it myself so don't think I'm trying to absolve these decisions but that's how I can explain them.

Dorion hired Smith and so he needs to give him the tools that he wants.

If smith was asking for Paquette, Coburn, Reilly, and Stepan, then this team is more f***ed than most of this board realizes.

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Dime a dozen player.

Could be and not unreasonable.

But, should that thinking & principle be applied to players that are acquired as well? Did Stepan's career low of 28 points make him an attractive option, and enough so to offer a 2nd for him? Were there a lot of teams interested in the Stepan sweepstakes? Or, was DS a "dime a dozen" player?

Its a question. And, its a question that's independent of reasons why Chlapik was moved i.e., he wanted out.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hopefully Dadonov and Murray pick it up because so far their numbers make them vastly overpaid

What a disastrous off-season for Ottawa :laugh:

- 4th round pick for Josh Brown (dangerous to play him)
- 2nd + Gruden for Matt Murray (4 x 6.25)
- 5th for Erik Gudbranson (could have signed several D-men in free agency for less)
- 4th for Watson (at least this one works)
- 2nd for Stepan (ouch)
- Gaborik/Nilsson LTIR contracts for 2nd + Paquette + Coburn (probably saved some $ here and at least got a late 2nd)
- Top-4 AHL D-man (Lajoie) for depht AHL forward (Clark Bishop) while Belleville has no defense
- Top-4 AHL D-man (Jaros) for 7th in 2022 and depht AHL forward (Jack Kopacka) while Belleville has no defense

Let's hope that things have turned around with the Dzingel trade.

Not sure how he figures into the main lineup going forward.

On the other hand, we're going to be gutting Belleville are we not?

Jaros, Lajoie out

Balcers, Chlapik out

Brown seems to be next, Greig won't eventually be allowed to play in AHL

This was already going to be one of the worst AHL teams, it probably won't be debatable now. Hopefully Mann doesn't get pissed off. People in general like to win.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Could be and not unreasonable.

But, should that thinking & principle be applied to players that are acquired as well? Did Stepan's career low of 28 points make him an attractive option, and enough so to offer a 2nd for him? Were there a lot of teams interested in the Stepan sweepstakes? Or, was DS a "dime a dozen" player?

Its a question. And, its a question that's independent of reasons why Chlapik was moved i.e., he wanted out.

Acquired players absolutely can be dime a dozen players. Sometimes it's done knowing they are scrubs and other times because teams make bad evaluations.

Stepan was clearly a bad deal. I don't know many who defend it now. Management and any fans of the deal were wrong in their evaluation of Stepan. He used to be a very good player but he's now a vet for the 4th line type.

I mean, the team/management clearly makes mistakes. We've been a horrible team for years, so yeah...

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
The writing was on the wall and I'm sure he wanted out anyways. Too many guys in our prospect pool and some going to get squeezed out.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure why, other than being a 2nd rounder, people think we're missing out here. Chlapik hasn't lit it up as a pro and I don't remember seeing a stalwart defensive player when he was in Ottawa last year. He's a competent but pedestrian player. He's not as good as most of the players above him and doesn't have a special skill/attribute that might get him a limited role as a 4th liner.

Probably not a lot of people who think we are "missing out"

Once the NHL was back in action, I think what many people have a hard time with is more the whole off-season then beginning of the season management/personnel decisions that were puzzling to say the least. It would eventually lead to losing this depht players/prospects for nothing and get stuck with players that were activately making us look like a really bad NHL team.

If smith was asking for Paquette, Coburn, Reilly, and Stepan, then this team is more f***ed than most of this board realizes.

The elite/great assets this team had (Chabot, Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Pageau +++) and the strenght of our drafting will end up making DJ and Dorion "look good" but it won't be for any other reason. Good for DJ, will make NHL dough a bit longer.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Oh no I think we know we are.

Paquette is 100% a DJ Smith type player, honestly he was a decent 4rth liner in Tampa but the deal was made to get the pick more than anything.

When they added Gudbranson, Dorion said Smith likes the way he boxes out in front of the net and crosschecks. Definitely seemed like Smith had the input in this decision much like Boucher had an input in decisions before.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The shine really came off that 2015 draft fast, eh?

Colin White struggling to establish himself as a quality player.
Both 2nd rounders - Gagne and Chlapik - now out of the organization.
4th and 5th round picks Filip Ahl and Christian Jaros already out of the org.
Christian Wolanin on the thinnest of thin ice.
Joey Daccord is a goalie.

Imagine how bad it would be if the Sens weren't an elite drafting team.

Reactions: DrEasy and Alfie11

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Acquired players absolutely can be dime a dozen players. Sometimes it's done knowing they are scrubs and other times because teams make bad evaluations.

Stepan was clearly a bad deal. I don't know many who defend it now. Management and any fans of the deal were wrong in their evaluation of Stepan. He used to be a very good player but he's now a vet for the 4th line type.

I mean, the team/management clearly makes mistakes. We've been a horrible team for years, so yeah...
I just wondered if the "dime a dozen" principle was also applicable to the players that are acquired in trades as well. It seems rather incongruent or dissonant to apply that principle to one thing (a prospect) but not to another (a player that is traded).

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

The whole draft is redeemed by grabbing a #1 D-man at 18.

Imagine we grabbed Colin White 3 picks earlier.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

The rule of thumb used to be 2 players from a draft made it a good draft. Looks like the Sens will get those players and maybe more if Wolanin and Daccord pan out. They even got a decent number of games from Jaros and Chlapik. Decent draft with the potential to be quite good.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Not sure how he figures into the main lineup going forward.

On the other hand, we're going to be gutting Belleville are we not?

Well Belleville was doomed when Norris and Batherson transitioned to the NHL.
Hopefully by adding JBD, Pinto and (maybe) next year's pick they'll be better, but they're in serious need of better AHL talent down there for insulation.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

I'm fairly certain he had some of the better defensive metrics on the team. I'll dig a little deeper into the QoC he faced and his zone starts, but he played a bottom six role well from what I remember. He's also a surprisingly good sh*t disturber which is something don't expect from a player like him. Thought he would have gotten a shot at least playing bottom six this year. If I were a cashed strapped team looking for a decent bottom six center, I'd scoop him up.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah 4 players from one draft on the roster, what a disaster. Some people have no clue how awesome that is.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Probably not a lot of people who think we are "missing out"

Once the NHL was back in action, I think what many people have a hard time with is more the whole off-season then beginning of the season management/personnel decisions that were puzzling to say the least. It would eventually lead to losing this depht players/prospects for nothing and get stuck with players that were activately making us look like a really bad NHL team.

The elite/great assets this team had (Chabot, Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Pageau +++) and the strenght of our drafting will end up making DJ and Dorion "look good" but it won't be for any other reason. Good for DJ, will make NHL dough a bit longer.
Typical. Sens coach is lucky if the team improves and plays well. Forget what NHL people say about him, forget what the players think of him and forget what our future captain’s HoFvdad says about him. Whinny, constantly negative Sens fans know better. Truly pathetic.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Great news for Chlapik

He looked totally uninterested in the 2 games he played for Belleville this season. Players watch games too, he saw how many players struggled early on with the Sens and was wondering why he wouldn't get a better chance than 8 minutes. Pretty sure he had zero interest staying with this team as soon as he saw that Artem Anisimov was "the best player in camp". Probably similar for Logan Brown (but might finally have his chance with Stepan's injury)

Anyway, Chlapik had pretty solid 4th line advanced stats last year, hopefully he carves out a role on another team

46th in CA/60, 69th in SA/60, 103th in SCA/60, 15th in HDCA/60 (out of 480 forwards with at least 100 TOI at ES) and a 4.8 CF% rel

Not bad,

Rudolfs Balcers + Filip Chlapik + Christian Jaros + Max Lajoie
for
Clark Bishop + Jack Kopacka + 7th

Can't wait to see the return for Logan Brown :sarcasm:

I think Chlapik had good skills and intensity ... he would have been better than a few players on the roster. Never know, might turn out like a Drieger situation (I know different position) where he gets a chance somewhere else and shine. I wish him good luck !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad