Filip Chlapik placed on unconditional waivers

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Seems like the relationship was fractured. PD likely checked to see if there would be any takers and didnt find anyone.

Best of luck to Chlapik

We'll always have the Chlapik vs Sprong debates to look back on fondly.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Another head scratcher from PD.

Don't think that was his choice tbh.

Player wants a chance to play somewhere else or maybe have a better place to showcase himself for another contract. Agent likely shared desire of Chlapik to leave to the team and at that point your options are limited. I'm sure they tried to trade him but doubt there was a market and he wasn't picked up on waivers. I feel like the least they could do is let him do what he wants to give him a chance to get a contract next season, maybe he'll even go play back home.

If you think Chlapik should've made the team or get better chances to play then I would say that's on DJ Smith rather than Dorion. I also felt like Chlapik could've made the team but the fact that Smith decides to play a guy like Haley before him is more a testament to the coaching staff and what they value rather than the GM. I mean last year was pretty much the same, they decided to add Scott Sabourin and play him before guys like Chlapik and Balcers. It's much of the same this year. These are coaching decisions rather than GM decisions.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Player wants a chance to play somewhere else or maybe have a better place to showcase himself for another contract. Agent likely shared desire of Chlapik to leave to the team and at that point your options are limited. I'm sure they tried to trade him but doubt there was a market and he wasn't picked up on waivers. I feel like the least they could do is let him do what he wants to give him a chance to get a contract next season, maybe he'll even go play back home.

If you think Chlapik should've made the team or get better chances to play then I would say that's on DJ Smith rather than Dorion. I also felt like Chlapik could've made the team but the fact that Smith decides to play a guy like Haley before him is more a testament to the coaching staff and what they value rather than the GM. I mean last year was pretty much the same, they decided to add Scott Sabourin and play him before guys like Chlapik and Balcers. It's much of the same this year. These are coaching decisions rather than GM decisions.

Let's not let dorion entirely off the hook here. He created opportunities for the coaching staff to make these choices. If he disagreed with what Smith was doing, he should have made better roster decisions. Want chlapik (or insert prospect here), take away the options Smith prefers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was hoping he'd be able to eke out a spot in the lineup as I like the Sen's future and thought he'd be a part of it. No idea what happened here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't care because I consider him very fringe but I can't fault him for wanting out considering Haley gets to play in the NHL.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Probably can proceed with commissioning of the Derek Stepan statue now that the Chlapik situation is out of the way. j/k ;)

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Get out, right now, it's the end of you and me. It's too late, I can't wait, for you, to be goooone.

Not too bummed, he could maybe be an NHLer but probably just a guy and nothing more. Nonetheless, I'm not too happy about the potential prospect of losing Chlapik, Balcers, and potentially Logan Brown for very minimal compensation. Perhaps this is the consequence of the quantity of picks and prospects we've acquired over the years? Just not enough room to give them all a fair shot.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I guess that means that Logan Brown is next now. Seems like that's what the official spokesman (Garrioch) was saying.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Both Sabourin & Haley play a specific role that this coaching staff believe is still required in the NHL although most of this fan base disagree until one of their favourites is attacked & then they scream for it. I liked Chlapik & think he is better than a few of these guys they have, but let's face it, he was another bubble player that wasn't anywhere good enough in a top six role & was marginally okay for a bottom six role. He really never made a difference & was just okay & it's probably a lot easier to get rid of guys like Chlapik than guys with one way contracts who you would still have to pay.

The other two, Haley or Sabourin as examples don't need to play big minutes & will never give you stellar hockey, but will play their role when called upon to do so if they can find a dance partner, if & when required by the coaches. It's a tough role that few can play, but every now & then is required whereas what Chlapik & Balcers provide so can a hundred other players. Most NHL coaches see each of their players playing certain roles & those that play those roles the best get to play when those roles are required. Bubble players are just that roster fillers until someone better comes along & Chlapik & Balcers were both IMO bubble players & not future players.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Get out, right now, it's the end of you and me. It's too late, I can't wait, for you, to be goooone.

Not too bummed, he could maybe be an NHLer but probably just a guy and nothing more. Nonetheless, I'm not too happy about the potential prospect of losing Chlapik, Balcers, and potentially Logan Brown for very minimal compensation. Perhaps this is the consequence of the quantity of picks and prospects we've acquired over the years? Just not enough room to give them all a fair shot.
But we’re finding room for ass old guys?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not sure how he figures into the main lineup going forward.

On the other hand, we're going to be gutting Belleville are we not?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Would have prefered if he got NHL ice time over Anisimov, Hailey, Galchenyuk and Paquette. He look liked a decent cheap bottom 6 option. Not sure why he wasn't given as many chances as others.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

I've been saying this exact point for a while now :rolly:

Reactions: Senateurs

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dime a dozen player. We probably tried to move him out like we did Jaros and Lajoie. No biters. He can go play in Europe.

Reactions: Yak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad