OT: FIFA World Cup

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I think Argentina or The Netherlands deserve to win more now. Germany had enough to celebrate for the past 12 and the upcoming 12 years :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, Germany made Brazil look like a bunch of 12 years old who never played soccer before. The final is theirs to lose.

The Netherlands handed out the first humiliation of this World Cup by beating the reigning European and World Cup Champion the way they did. This is merely the second one.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I hate scoreless games.

They should release lions on the field at halftime if the game is 0-0.
Then large, angry mammoths for the extra 30, and a T-Rex for the penalty kicks.

I. Will. Be. Entertained.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not starting a debate, but to lose at this point in a tournament... on penalties :shakehead you have to feel for the losing team.

If Bettman ever changes the NHL playoffs to use a shootout.... I will hunt him down.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
Not starting a debate, but to lose at this point in a tournament... on penalties :shakehead you have to feel for the losing team.

If Bettman ever changes the NHL playoffs to use a shootout.... I will hunt him down.

Yeah, it's a terrible way to be eliminated. I always feel bad for a team that goes out on penalties.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
He was substituted early in extra time. He had been a doubt for the game and didnt look like he would be able to last the full 120.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
This is not the result that I was hoping for. It would have been much more entertaining to have the two European teams and the two South American teams play because of the natural rivalries involved. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Van Gaal, the Dutch coach, is so respected, but I don't know how he thought he could beat Argentina in the shootout. He basically gave Argentina the game. If Germany plays the same way on Sunday, I will be very ticked.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
I think Germany vs Holland would have been the best final (and it would have been nice to see Brazil have a chance at a tiny bit of redemption by beating Argentina) so I'm a bit disappointed with the result. On the other hand, I have a small amount of money riding on Argentina for the tournament which is helping me look past the fact that they are awful to watch.

Vaissier

Mar 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Did Van Persie get pulled or was he hurt? That hurt them in the SO.

Van Persie was sick the last 2 days and wasn't even sure he could play. So i guess we was running on fumes.

Too bad we couldn't create more chances, at least the end of the second half and the extra time was a bit better.

Oh well, GO GERMANY!!!!

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, it's a terrible way to be eliminated. I always feel bad for a team that goes out on penalties.

It is an extremely lousy way to go out, but I just can't imagine how you make these players continue after playing for 2 full hours. There isn't another team sport that requires the endurance needed to play soccer, and further exhausting these players just gives the next team an advantage over the eventual winner. It's humane, if heartbreaking.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
It is an extremely lousy way to go out, but I just can't imagine how you make these players continue after playing for 2 full hours. There isn't another team sport that requires the endurance needed to play soccer, and further exhausting these players just gives the next team an advantage over the eventual winner. It's humane, if heartbreaking.

Germany definitely has the advantage over Argentina in the final. They played a day earlier. The game was fun and "easy", and it didn't go into extra time. Argentina will be struggling to get rested up and healed for the next game. Maybe adrenalin will be enough.

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014

Agreed. It's a far from ideal solution, but unfortunately it's the best available option.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Who do you guys think the "neutral" Brazilians will be cheering for in the final? Will it be the team that beat them, or will they side with their arch-rivals because of the commonality of continent?

jetkarma*

Very good tournament but tough game today . Seemed cautious and tentative the first half , which may not have been a bad managerial decision as we had more play in the second. RVP was ill so I am sure that contributed to his non performance pretty much , too bad he didn't score in an elimination game , tough label , but it's till there.

Always hard to accept losing from penalties , and one can always blame a couple of poorly kicked balls and a save that wasn't but it may not have mattered anyways. Hopefully the jong oranje develop so we don't have the gaps we had previously.

Euro 2016 !

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
While PKs are a lousy way to end a game... Why has fifa done away with the Golden goal in extra time? So dumb to finally have a legit goal then you give the other team a bunch of time to try and make PKs decide the game again.... Dumb imo
I guess they think teams will sit back with the threat of the Golden goal but I don't think that's a good reason.
Great final coming.... The two best teams are there imho

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I hate scoreless games.

They should release lions on the field at halftime if the game is 0-0.
Then large, angry mammoths for the extra 30, and a T-Rex for the penalty kicks.

I. Will. Be. Entertained.

Think bigger.

This was by far my least favorite game of the World Cup. After suffering through the entire game earlier today, I joined my host and watched the condensed version just now. The condensed version was pretty much just as boring as the actual game. Nothing happened!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad