OT: FIFA World Cup

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I think this is as good a time as any to declare that I am German (and Canadian), and I am celebrating! I tend to be German during soccer season and Canadian the rest of the time (but especially during hockey season).

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
If it was any team other than Brazil I'd feel bad for them, but since Brazil is the Yankees of soccer I don't.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
If it was any team other than Brazil I'd feel bad for them, but since Brazil is the Yankees of soccer I don't.

I agree. Brazil has spoiled enough parties in their time, in many different locations. As bad as I feel for the injured player, Brazil had this loss coming. Germany could not let up. This was not a third rate soccer team they were playing. In the qualifying round for the World Cup, Germany had been up 4-0 on Sweden before the Swedes came back to tie it 4 all. It was the only game that Germany did not win in the qualifying round, and it proved to be a good lesson. They could not let up. Hopefully the exuberance of this win will give them the drive to win the whole thing this time.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I agree. Brazil has spoiled enough parties in their time, in many different locations. As bad as I feel for the injured player, Brazil had this loss coming. Germany could not let up. This was not a third rate soccer team they were playing. In the qualifying round for the World Cup, Germany had been up 4-0 on Sweden before the Swedes came back to tie it 4 all. It was the only game that Germany did not win in the qualifying round, and it proved to be a good lesson. They could not let up. Hopefully the exuberance of this win will give them the drive to win the whole thing this time.

That was a fun game. I'll be sure to remind GJF of that if his head gets too big after this game.

Personally, I thought the Brazil team played well. If I had 10 clones and went up against the German national team, I can see the result being similar.

Also, the German team is now rocking an unsustainable Sh%.

Give me an R!
Give me an E!
Give me a G!

:naughty:

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
That was a fun game. I'll be sure to remind GJF of that if his head gets too big after this game.

Personally, I thought the Brazil team played well. If I had 10 clones and went up against the German national team, I can see the result being similar.

Also, the German team is now rocking an unsustainable Sh%.

Give me an R!
Give me an E!
Give me a G!

:naughty:

Uh, Romang67, how did the Swedish team do at the World Cup again?:D

(Us Germans have to stick together.)

Vaissier

Mar 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Are you kidding me? The team that deserves the WC the most over the last 10-12 years is obviously Germany.

2002 WC: Lost the final vs. Brazil, second.
2004 Euro: okay let's not talk about that year
2006 Home WC: Lost to Italy in semi-finals overtime, won game for third place, third place.
2008 Euro: Lost the final vs. Spain, second.
2010 WC: Lost semi-finals vs. Spain, won game for third place, third place.
2012 Euro: Lost semi-finals vs. Italy, won game for third place, third place.

So over the last 12 years, Germany was 2nd, XXX, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 3rd. I may agree, the second most deserving team, without a title over the last 10-12 years, to win a title is Netherlands but Germany is number one, AINEC.

I think Argentina or The Netherlands deserve to win more now. Germany had enough to celebrate for the past 12 and the upcoming 12 years :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, Germany made Brazil look like a bunch of 12 years old who never played soccer before. The final is theirs to lose.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think Argentina or The Netherlands deserve to win more now. Germany had enough to celebrate for the past 12 and the upcoming 12 years :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, Germany made Brazil look like a bunch of 12 years old who never played soccer before. The final is theirs to lose.

ehm, what?

Yeah, it sure is awesome to always loose in vital games.

Vaissier

Mar 3, 2011
Rotterdam
ehm, what?

Yeah, it sure is awesome to always loose in vital games.

You mean humiliating Brazil doesn't make you forget those losses? :sarcasm:

So who do you prefer Germany to play in the final? The Netherlands has a nice track record in WC finals, 0 for 3. And we have never beaten Germany at a WC ever. :help:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
You mean humiliating Brazil doesn't make you forget those losses? :sarcasm:

So who do you prefer Germany to play in the final? The Netherlands has a nice track record in WC finals, 0 for 3. And we have never beaten Germany at a WC ever. :help:

We humiliated Argentina in 2010's WC. Who cares? We crapped the bed vs. Spain and failed again.

I'd definitely prefer The Netherlands - not because I think it's an easier enemy but because of the obvious traditions between us. And personally, I actually LOVE The Netherlands. A couple of friends studied in Venlo (GLOW! in Eindhoven is awesome) and my brother lived in Amsterdam downtown for 2,5 years. I was in The Netherlands 10 times over the last 3 years. I strangely feel instantly "at home" somehow, the moment I cross the boarder at Venlo.

I wish them no harm at all and I think the "German vs Netherlands"-hate-tradition is absolutely pointless nowadays.

Vaissier

Mar 3, 2011
Rotterdam
We humiliated Argentina in 2010's WC. Who cares? We crapped the bed vs. Spain and failed again.

I'd definitely prefer The Netherlands - not because I think it's an easier enemy but because of the obvious traditions between us. And personally, I actually LOVE The Netherlands. A couple of friends studied in Venlo (GLOW! in Eindhoven is awesome) and my brother lived in Amsterdam downtown for 2,5 years. I was in The Netherlands 10 times over the last 3 years. I strangely feel instantly "at home" somehow, the moment I cross the boarder at Venlo.

I wish them no harm at all and I think the "German vs Netherlands"-hate-tradition is absolutely pointless nowadays.

What hate-tradition? Everyone I talked to was cheering for Germany. They have played really attractive football the last few years.

You could even say Germany and The Netherlands swapped their playing style. We used to play really attractive football, but never got the results. Since 2010 it's defence first and try to score on the counter. We made it to the final in 2010 and who knows where we end up this years. (please don't mention 2012:facepalm:)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
What hate-tradition? Everyone I talked to was cheering for Germany. They have played really attractive football the last few years.

You could even say Germany and The Netherlands swapped their playing style. We used to play really attractive football, but never got the results. Since 2010 it's defence first and try to score on the counter. We made it to the final in 2010 and who knows where we end up this years. (please don't mention 2012:facepalm:)

How old are you? :laugh: ;)

Just kidding

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
LOL!

Are you still mad about that? Then I want my grandpa's bike back! :laugh:

I'm 33, so I remember that game. Rijkaard did a real good impression of a llama :shakehead

No, I'm absolutely not. But in Germany, media still talks about this incident EVERY time Germany and The Netherlands are put into one sentence when talking about football.

We still have uneducated, dumb idiots that like to yell [mod] when the "time is right".

I love when I'm able to write bad words in German and it's not censored :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Funny. :laugh:

BsDfufVIEAEC8k6.jpg

Vaissier

Mar 3, 2011
Rotterdam
No, I'm absolutely not. But in Germany, media still talks about this incident EVERY time Germany and The Netherlands are put into one sentence when talking about football.

We still have uneducated, dumb idiots that like to yell [mod] when the "time is right".

I love when I'm able to write bad words in German and it's not censored :laugh:

Let's hope they are gonna talk about it some after today's game, that would mean we're in the final.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Let's hope they are gonna talk about it some after today's game, that would mean we're in the final.

I would prefer a Netherlands/Germany final for the pure entertainment of it as well. I think Germany would have a more difficult time of handling the Oranje squad. Don't get me wrong, though. I believe that they can and would do it. But we'll see. You're right. Your team has some business to attend to first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad