OT: FIFA World Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
As a Croat I am beyond pissed.

As a sports fan you should be pissed. In the name of fair competition. Lucky for me I am just a casual observer; if I actually cared about this... Yikes. Brazil needed to win anyways. If not to keep the hometown crowd from rioting and killing stuff.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It's the most democratic major sport, mistakes will happen. I don't think it was such a bad call. Maybe questionable but the players should by now know that they can't wrap their arms around.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Can't say that Brazil didn't deserve to win, but that penalty kick... :shakehead That's what you get when you put garbage refs from garbage leagues into games like this.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Croatia deserved a 1-1 draw. What an absolute joke that match was. The flopping in this sport is so shameful. FIFA is already corrupt, wouldn't be surprised if the refs were apart of it too.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
11/10 Ronaldos on this dive. Apparently, this is a penalty :help:

dcb60f76653df8074ff6561766b53cb2.gif

I feel violated. Listen, we didn't deserve to win, but we got better as the 2nd half went along until this ******** happened. To have a game turn because of this is what just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
As a sports fan you should be pissed. In the name of fair competition. Lucky for me I am just a casual observer; if I actually cared about this... Yikes. Brazil needed to win anyways. If not to keep the hometown crowd from rioting and killing stuff.

Yeah, in the second half it looked like Croatia got the short end of the stick a lot. The questionable officiating has begun already.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Pletikosa also played horrible in goal for Croatia. One good save, followed by 2 weak goals and a penalty shot that never should've been going right through his hands.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Plays like this are why its so hard to like soccer. Game seem to always been decided by the ref disallowing or basically awarding a goal.
The second the ball gets in the box the best play is to dive and try and get a call.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I wish I had some semblance of an idea of who you guys are talking about and more of an idea of what you guys are talking about.

I honestly barely know anything about soccer except for that one time I read a couple of the "laws of the game". I still think that offsides rule is stupid.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I wish I had some semblance of an idea of who you guys are talking about and more of an idea of what you guys are talking about.

I honestly barely know anything about soccer except for that one time I read a couple of the "laws of the game". I still think that offsides rule is stupid.
It really is a fun sport to watch. I started playing FIFA with a good friend of mine right before the last World Cup, that's where I started to learn some of the player's names, then when I actually Sat down and watched some of that 2010 World Cup, I was hooked.

It's been my experience that those who go into it with an open mind (not the "lol soccer suxxx!" mindset), more often than not, come away with an appreciation for the game. It's obviously not for everyone, no sport is, but watch a few matches and you might start to like it!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It really is a fun sport to watch. I started playing FIFA with a good friend of mine right before the last World Cup, that's where I started to learn some of the player's names, then when I actually Sat down and watched some of that 2010 World Cup, I was hooked.

It's been my experience that those who go into it with an open mind (not the "lol soccer suxxx!" mindset), more often than not, come away with an appreciation for the game. It's obviously not for everyone, no sport is, but watch a few matches and you might start to like it!

I've watched a few matches and kept an open mind. Maybe I need to watch a really high level match because it just seemed like a ball on a field sport played almost at baseball like pace. Long stretches of nothing with a few exclamation points of activity for like 15 seconds here and there.

I'm planning on watching a generous portion of the tournament tho.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I've watched a few matches and kept an open mind. Maybe I need to watch a really high level match because it just seemed like a ball on a field sport played almost at baseball like pace. Long stretches of nothing with a few exclamation points of activity for like 15 seconds here and there.

I'm planning on watching a generous portion of the tournament tho.

Modern football, sadly, is mostly defensive. It's like hockey in terms of less offense and more defense. Also, it's common for underdog teams to use an ultra defensive strategy and trying to score on counterattacks. Very often you see 8 men inside the 16 square with one just above and a striker waiting to get loose.

With that said, it can certainly be interesting, especially when there's a lot at stake. The passion and worldwide audience make it especially so.

And yeah, I lol'd at the guy wearing a Finland jersey. I believe that's actually a Koivu jersey, since it looks to be around 2010-2012 and has C in it. I wonder if he's like "Well, when's Finland playing? I want to see Litmanen and Hyypiä" :laugh:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Mexico - Cameroon is an exception. Not too much defense there. :D

But referees ruin it all!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
And now the Mexicans have 2 goals disallowed on offsides, the 2nd of which was a brutal call.

This makes NBA refs look conpetent.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Modern football, sadly, is mostly defensive. It's like hockey in terms of less offense and more defense. Also, it's common for underdog teams to use an ultra defensive strategy and trying to score on counterattacks. Very often you see 8 men inside the 16 square with one just above and a striker waiting to get loose.

With that said, it can certainly be interesting, especially when there's a lot at stake. The passion and worldwide audience make it especially so.

And yeah, I lol'd at the guy wearing a Finland jersey. I believe that's actually a Koivu jersey, since it looks to be around 2010-2012 and has C in it. I wonder if he's like "Well, when's Finland playing? I want to see Litmanen and Hyypiä" :laugh:

The game needs to be tweaked IMO. The whole penalty kick thing just baffles me. I mean, how can you miss from that spot. :laugh:

I agree with you that it is really defensive. It seems like teams that are outmatched talent wise just try to play for the shootout at the end where they have a chance to beat a superior team. After the round robin part of the tournament this should not decide anything.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
They should just use Euro refs. I don't know where they find these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad