OT: FIFA World Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Hm, the US doesnt play till Monday? Interesting, this schedule.

It's a month long tournament. A little drawn out but its only once every four years so whatever. The US has something close to 9000 round trip travel miles during this tournament too.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't forget the US plays their 2nd game (vs Portugal) in Manaus (the remote rainforest stadium that is extremely hard to get to via car), which has a horrible playing surface. Given that Portugal is way more of a finesse passing team than the US are, that is going to hurt Portugal a TON.

I'm Croatian, but my 2nd team has generally been the US for two reasons (the fact that I happen to be seeing a girl that is American can be a new 3rd reason): a) Lots of grit/ tenacity and b) the fact that soccer in Canada and its popularity here, in a way, is dependent on how well the US does, as scary as it sounds.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I think Germany will take it. They are the most balanced team IMO. Well, aside from Spain, but I'm just so tired of Spain winning everything. Brazil is intriguing, but I think they'll crumble under the immense pressure. Everyone else will underachieve, as always (looking at you, Argentina :D)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Euro teams have quite an edge, though. Teams like Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Enland and France are the rop runners. I'd love to see the American continent to do better than last two WCs but just don't see it. They lack star power.

Messi, Neymar, Suarez...

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Messi, Neymar, Suarez...

Aka some of the best ones. Ever.

Voted Brazil. They look strong.

Surpriseteam is going to be Colombia. Even without Falcao they have still alot of good players.

Funfact: No european team have ever won a World Cup outside Europe. I think its the case this year aswell. And the altitude and heat in Brazil is higher than most of the european players experience in f.ex England.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Aka some of the best ones. Ever.

Voted Brazil. They look strong.

Surpriseteam is going to be Colombia. Even without Falcao they have still alot of good players.

Funfact: No european team have ever won a World Cup outside Europe. I think its the case this year aswell. And the altitude and heat in Brazil is higher than most of the european players experience in f.ex England.

Except Spain last WC in South Africa...

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I meant depth with star power. The (South) Americans have a few superstars themselves but if you look a team like Spain or Germany, pretty much every player is a star in their respectable leagues. Euro teams are more well-rounded, if you will.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I meant depth with star power. The (South) Americans have a few superstars themselves but if you look a team like Spain or Germany, pretty much every player is a star in their respectable leagues. Euro teams are more well-rounded, if you will.

Agreed. Though SA teams (especially Brazil) have rosters that are loaded with players who excel in the world's best leagues. I think that Uruguay, Argentina or Brazil can compete with any Euro team at this World Cup.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
US is going to get slaughtered :biglaugh: Germany will destroy them. Portugal will take them easily. And Ghana has beaten them before. Especially after watching some of those friendly games before they left the US (mainly the Turkey one), they play no defense.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
US is going to get slaughtered :biglaugh: Germany will destroy them. Portugal will take them easily. And Ghana has beaten them before. Especially after watching some of those friendly games before they left the US (mainly the Turkey one), they play no defense.

I think this is one of the worst teams they've ever sent to the World Cup. famous coach, very solid keeper and that's about it. Bradley's good in the middle but not much else to be excited about. And as you said, even their defense is porous (generally one of their strengths). Can't believe the US still hasn't developed a top notch striker. That would open up their options immensely and give Klinsmann a lot more to work with. Three and out for the Yanks I'm afraid.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I think this is one of the worst teams they've ever sent to the World Cup. famous coach, very solid keeper and that's about it. Bradley's good in the middle but not much else to be excited about. And as you said, even their defense is porous (generally one of their strengths). Can't believe the US still hasn't developed a top notch striker. That would open up their options immensely and give Klinsmann a lot more to work with. Three and out for the Yanks I'm afraid.

I don't understand why Bradley moved from Serie A back to the MLS. He's good enough for top European leagues but wants to be the go to star on an MLS squad.

Altidore was supposed to be that top notch striker. He was awful in the BPL last season. Too good for the MLS, not good enough for Europe. I actually like Aron Johannsson better. I could see him scoring a clutch goal or two off the bench.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Looks like Neymar came to play. I hate his Hollywood but gotta admire his feet and body work.

Also, probably the best national anthem I've ever seen and heard. Genuine and passionate as hell.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Before the game I said to a friend that Marcelo, Hulk and Neymar score tonight. Close enough :laugh:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Bp9HrKnCIAAIpNr.jpg

Wrong place, wrong sport, Finland.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Watching Croatia vs Brazil right now. Wow. What a botched call. Flop leads to a successful penalty kick. Doesn't do much to silence the massive amount of news stories that have come out about this being a rigged event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad