FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
will be shocked if anything comes of it

This is the FBI we are talking about. The scandal will taint what little is left of FIFA's image.

Sponsors are already withdrawing or considering withdrawal and money talks. It may well give the green light for many associations to withdraw from FIFA itself particularly in respect of Qatar 2022.

The incentive is there to force a re-vote or go for the second nominations. The USA in 2022 and who knows England in 2018 (despite not coming second we have all the relevant infrastructure).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm-q75Z1NUs

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not that UEFA are angels but I always wondered why they never considered breaking away from FIFA, especially considering how Blatter, after he is re-elected, will apparently takes spot(s) away from UEFA in future World Cups

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh my god I'm completely shocked that this has been going on for as long as everyone said it was.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Can't wait for Blatter's victory speech on Friday :laugh:

Though in reality I'm usually let down by these investigations into football, maybe I've been let down too many times by the weak Croatian government whenever they come close to doing something about corruption in football but then fail to push the issue

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Right before the election, eh?

This wouldn't happen to be a distraction move by Blatter to steal another election?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Not that I mind this, but the American government should be focusing their attention on more important matters.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Right before the election, eh?

This wouldn't happen to be a distraction move by Blatter to steal another election?

Blatter was 99.999% winning anyway, only chance Ali had was to get Africa to vote for him which is impossible as they are so up the ass of Blatter

With his Euro support + Africa, Ali would have won the election.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
A great day for soccer in the Americas. Nice to see some big players in media rights go down hard. One of the arrested men, Alejandro Burzaco is head of Torneos y Competencias, an Argentine sports media empire that has held the South American rights to all major tournaments for a long time. They are in cahoots with Fox Sports, who was awarded the 2026 World Cup rights in the US without a bidding process. Will be interesting to see if News Corp has been involved in shady dealings.

This whole operation is absolutely fascinating, like something out of a movie. Really hope everyone is successfully extradited. They probably only went after those over whom they could foresee having a good chance of having jurisdiction. Hence why there were no Africans or Asians arrested.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Good guy USA to the rescue of soccer. Did not see that coming. The officials probably thought they wouldn't have to be less careful in places where people cared less about the game and left more evidence. This could either be incredibly fun or frustrating to see through...

Sideline

May 23, 2004
America, **** YEAH!

I can't wait for the FBI to get these weasels into interrogation rooms offering deals for dirt on their colleagues and superiors. For some reason I don't expect much solidarity from FIFA officials.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So the current president of CONCACAF is a citizen of the Cayman Islands and president of their federation? Nothing screams financial crimes more clearly than that. :laugh:

Here come the World Polliiiice!

Good.

Just the police of North and South America for now. ;) Somehow I doubt that they'll go after other continental federations directly.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Too many worldwide gullible soccer fans that sadly, FIFA got away with this stuff for too long. The John Oliver Last Night rant was spot-on about this topic about some soccer fans and religious fanatics being one-and-one. The world isnt filled sadly with hfboards-style soccer fans.

Just sucks it takes a powerful country like the USA getting screwed for anything to happen.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I dislike US/England arrogant opinion that they should be immediately handed the next 2 World Cups.
But damn, I thought this day would never come for FIFA!

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Too many worldwide gullible soccer fans that sadly, FIFA got away with this stuff for too long. The John Oliver Last Night rant was spot-on about this topic about some soccer fans and religious fanatics being one-and-one. The world isnt filled sadly with hfboards-style soccer fans.

Just sucks it takes a powerful country like the USA getting screwed for anything to happen.

I think even the most casual fans knew the deal with FIFA & corruption.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't even care about the hosting sites for the next 2 world cups. But these guys had it coming, and they deserve what they get.

The thing about the Olympics, WC, and other world sporting events is that everybody goes absolutely mad to bring them to their country, and the result of everyone of these events is that tax money gets set on fire with little to no return*, while sponsors and corporations rake in cash. It's not financially good for your country.

There probably a few countries that could come close to breaking even in the world due to existing facilities, and that's a maybe.

* - the "tourism boom" is crap, and any jobs are short-term. The maintenance of any new structures means they're guaranteed to be a net loss.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
'Murica: "We don't like soccer, but we'll clean it up for you".

Seriously though, happy those who are ruining the sport are getting finally caught but not expecting too much out of this.

Justice will be served, but only half of it will be. They will probably be judged and found guilty. Some will have to pay hefty fines, some others could get jailed, but the functioning of FIFA will not change. The way WC hosts are awarded will remain the same, corruption will stay and Russia and Qatar will still host WCs 2018 and 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad