FIFA Confederations Cup 2017

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I can't even remember the last time our team looked so pathetic. Thank god Jogi realized what he had done right against the Mexicans and changed that s*** up.

I think they're doing ok considering that he brought a roster that's generally very good but generally lacks pressing resistance, and they're going up against a pressing machine. This squad is clearly much better suited to playing on the counter, and so far they are doing an ok job of trading blows with Chile.

Germany is giving nothing and playing a well defensive game and capitalizing off Chile's unforced errors.

Defensive football >>> Attacking football.

You do realize Chile's chances are coming from German errors of much the same kind, right?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Germany is giving nothing and playing a well defensive game and capitalizing off Chile's unforced errors.

Defensive football >>> Attacking football.

That's common sense for 50-60 years, now.

North Americans use to say offence wins games, defence wins championships. There's truth in that.

edit:

The Italians were the best at it in the 1980s.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well, Chile played anti-football in the finals of those tournaments after attacking their way there. They're pretty great at it too.

If they'd gotten that early goal, Germany would lose this game 1-0.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Sebastian Kehl just picked his Top 11. Looks pretty good if all healthy.

--------------------------Neuer

-----------Süle---------Boateng---------Hummels

----Kimmich------Kroos---------Gündogan-----Hector

----------------Draxler-------------------Reus

------------------------------Werner

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well, Chile played anti-football in the finals of those tournaments after attacking their way there. They're pretty great at it too.

If they'd gotten that early goal, Germany would lose this game 1-0.

Yeah especially in the 2015 final they played that way.

IDK if they could hold Germany scoreless for 80 minutes by parking the bus, but it's hard for a team to press the way they were the first half hour for a whole match.

Sebastian Kehl just picked his Top 11. Looks pretty good if all healthy.

--------------------------Neuer

-----------Süle---------Boateng---------Hummels

----Kimmich------Kroos---------Gündogan-----Hector

----------------Draxler-------------------Reus

------------------------------Werner

No Draxler, no Reus and I'd agree.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think they could hold Germany for a very long time, but after Germany would bring in Wagner I don't know if they could stop that. It's not like Wagner is a decent finisher or anything but he could get a lot of free headers against this team.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah especially in the 2015 final they played that way.

IDK if they could hold Germany scoreless for 80 minutes by parking the bus, but it's hard for a team to press the way they were the first half hour for a whole match.

No Draxler, no Reus and I'd agree.

About Draxler i could talk but a healthy Reus has to be there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's too bad Chile has pretty much no development at this point (will probably be on the level of Bolivia when this generation is gone), because if they had anyone better than Beausejour on that left side they would be pretty threatening out wide. Germany knows only Isla is really going to run forward with the ball and can plan accordingly.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Does Draxler ever hit the target? Every time I watch him play he misses every damn shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad